Transition Bikes TransAM 29 29er Hardtail

The TransAM 29 is a true all mountain hardtail designed to be a little more aggressive than your standard XC bike. Built for long days in the backcountry, the TransAM 29 not only is a delight to pedal but is very confidence inspiring on the descents. The 29" wheels roll over obstacles with ease and once you get your momentum going, the TransAM 29 will clock out miles like no other hardtail. For 2012 the TransAM 29 comes equipped with our bolt on dropout system that allows you to run 12 x 142mm bolt on axles, 10 x 135 quick release or horizontal dropouts for running singlespeed. The TransAM 29 also is tapered fork compatible and has a custom butted seattube so you can run adjustable seatposts like the Rockshox Reverb. At the core of the TransAM 29 is a double butted Japanese seamless chromoly tubeset that absorbs vibrations on the trails while still maintaining awesome responsiveness for cornering and pedaling. We finish the frame with our ED internal coating so your TransAM 29 is protected from the elements.

[Aug 17, 2016]
l'oiseau

OVERALL
Strength:

Fun, strong, decent ride quality, rides lighter than it weighs, loves jumps, loves hills up or down, stealth dropper routing, short chainstays, nice reach/stack ratio, slack enough head angle, steep enough seat tube angle, compact rear triangle

not much - weight?

2016 model bought as frame and built to suit. The most fun bike ever. Does everything really well but really well suited for technical trails, pumps and jumps and descents. Climbs like goat. Super stable at speed but still agile enough for twisty trails. The absolute best mix of cross-country and downhill you can buy!

[Jul 02, 2014]
bongski

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame.
Steel is real.
12x142 rear axle and ISCG05 tabs.
44mm headtube is versatile.

Graphics are pretty plain.
Heavy.

I'm 5'8" and used a 70mm stem with a 740mm flat bar.
1x10 32t with a zee rear der and 11-34 cassette.
Flow Rims with Hope hubs and Hans Dampfs.

It took me a while to readjust my riding style especially after 3 years of riding full suspension bikes, but after two rides I started getting fast both on the uphill and downhill.

[Oct 31, 2013]
unrooted

OVERALL
Strength:

Red Color is Pretty
Strong
Playful

Heavy
Boring looking
Short Top Tube

I really like my bike, but everyone that thinks that steel is comparable to Full Suspension is nuts. The steel frame certainly takes the shock out of the rough stuff buy you still have to pick your line.

I have had my frame for 4 months and I came from a racy aluminum 29er hardtail, this thing inspired a lot more confidence when going fast, and the slack geometry allows me to ride skinny features a lot better than before! The short top tube allows the bike to feel like a big BMX bike, which is super fun, but it also makes climbing feel a bit compact.

If you are looking for a fun 29er to launch off of every bump this is it!

If you think that steel will make the trail smooth as butter then you should be looking at a 4-5" FS frame.

[Sep 10, 2013]
KenDeRailleurHanger

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel is real, plenty of fork options, SS or geared with a front derailleur if you want, good supportive importer in New Zealand
Fun geometry , Plenty tough for this 100kg Clyde

Paint is very soft, cover up the rub spots from new.....

After years on full suspension bikes I never thought I'd go back to a hardtail, but my Kona Unit started me down this trail....

Kona unit SS, GT Peace

[Aug 02, 2013]
Brig

OVERALL
Strength:

The slack geometry, short chain stays, 4130 steel, ability to run geared or single speed, and the 12X142 rear axle make this bike scream down technical trails. It's stiff when I want it to be and compliant when I need it to be. On flowy packed singletrack it loves to wheelie and manual. It also flies off small to medium jumps. Climbs surprisingly well, though riding 1X9 most of the steeper climbs are out of the saddle.

I couldn't say I really found a weakness per se. Seems like the top tube is a little on the short side. I ride a medium and came from a 19" XC hard tail that was significantly longer. It feels snappy and responsive though. I'd say prepare to play with some stem lengths.

I agree with the other reviewer, the chainstay does interfere with some chainguides. I had to modify mine to fit.

This bike has re-opened my eyes to what mountain biking is and should be. My first bike was a Redline Monocog 26 that I bought in 2006, replaced with a Pine Mountain 29er in 2011. The TA is what I needed to have fun on a bike again. If you are, like me, on the top of the size range and go for the smaller size (I'm 5'10 and on a medium) you'll be rewarded with a snappy responsive bike that's easy to toss around. Getting behind the saddle is really easy as well (don't have a dropper yet.) When the trail starts down is where this bike really excels. It eats up technical descents. To me the snappiness also translates over to the climbing ability. I run 1X10 so spend a good bit of time out of the saddle and it seems that this is where the geometry likes me to be for climbing. I do wish that I had gone with a 140mm fork as I feel like I'll be maxing out the 120 before long.

[Feb 06, 2013]
VTSession

OVERALL
Strength:

-Japanese steel is an awesome frame material, all the features an all mountain hard tail should have - slack head tube angle, short chain stays, chain guide tabs, tapered head tube, dropper post routing, plenty of room for a 2.5 inch tire.

$699 is a bit steep for a steel frame, chain stays interfere with some chain guides.

I decided to sell my heavy, flexy, bobbing 6 inch trail bike for this TransAM 29er. I really wanted a solid, low maintenance bike that I could ride every day in almost any trail conditions. This bike fits the bill. The ride of steel is supple and smooth, the bike's geometry is a perfect mix of being slack enough for aggressive riding but steep enough to climb very well. Beyond full blown freeriding and downhill, this frame is at home on any trail. Also, Transition bikes is a great company to supports. This my third Transition frame and their customer service is top notch.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.