Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er Hardtail

The fourth generation Dillinger 29er frame is based upon one of the company’s core beliefs. If possible, design a frame to satisfy more than one desire as long as it does not appear gross and offensive in appearance. The Dillinger frame can satisfy everything from the desires of hardcore singlespeed riders to those venturing into the 29er realm for the first time. The frame’s modular dropout inserts combined with the custom one piece custom CNC machined eccentric bottom bracket allow the frame to be configured as a singlespeed or geared rig. On top of this the frame features a CNC machined yoke that allows for the Dillinger to have one of the stiffest rear ends on the market.

[Nov 27, 2018]
digitalayon

OVERALL
Strength:

Best bike I have ever had for the trails.

Only thing I wish it had was thru-axle support for the rear.

Price Paid:
[Jul 12, 2015]
Brett Wants a SoulCycles Dillinger 5.5" !!! (think
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

- Various Dropouts for various applications,
- Sloping Top Tube For Better Crotch Clearance,
- 2.5" Tire Clearance,
- Beautiful Pearl Color Choices,
- Great Geometry and Playful Handling,
- Durable and Rugged Enough to take my abuse after learning 'greater' and 'Bigger' 'Skillz' on a 7" Yeti as-X,
- many more I am missing...

Still NOT Available with
- 120mmPF BottomBracketShell,
Z 197mm x 12mm Thru-Axle Rear Dropouts,
ChainStays / SeatStays that will allow 5.5" BIG FatTires (4.8" Bud&Lou with Mud / Snow / Spike / hysteresis Clearance,
- Paint Matching Steel 150mm x 15mm Thru-Axle Front Disc Fork (similar to IceCreamTruck Fork),
- Color Matching (Pearl); Cranks, Bars, Rims, Hubs, Stem, Post, etc...

I have 33+ Mountain Bikes, ranging from 9" Balfa BB7, GT iT--1, FoesDHS, Yeti as-X, Balfa 2Step, Haro Extreme X1, Cannondale 6" ÜberV (SuperV with updates), RavenII, Raven, ProFlex 856, SlingShot FarmBoy 29er, Voodoo Soukri, GU Typhoon, GT Tempest, Sinister DNA, Cannondale Cyclocross Disc, GT Force steel, Bianchi D'Italia, Bianchi Peregrine, REFLEX, BigFatFuss, Specialized FatBoy Expert, (others), and my two most ridden in the last three years, my Surly IceCreamTruck and my (old) SoulCycles Dillinger Rigid SingleSpeed 29er...

Too many to list here... was cut off...

[Aug 06, 2013]
Rob Kramer

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, fairly light, beautiful welds and geometry, responsive, great value, and FAST!

Your other bikes will get jealous because you ride it so much.

I have the 4th generation frame, and have built it up over the past couple of seasons as a hardtail SS and recently a 1x9. I don't know how, but this bike has outperformed my 4" XC race bike that is 5X more expensive.
In a pinch (my other frame cracked, and couldn't get it replaced it in time), I just raced it for the Downieville Classic. It crushed the climb, as expected. What I can't explain are the PR's on the downhill sections such as babyheads, 3rd divide, etc., that got me across the finish line for my first podium after 6 years of trying! LOVE this bike!!!

[Jul 05, 2012]
Chad Thomsen

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome Build Quality (looks more expensive then it is). Great Value. Very stiff while giving you a steel like ride. Has a bit of bling factor as there are not a ton of Soul Cycles where I ride.

None for me.

Built this up as a single speed. Fast and fairly light that has good lateral stiffness while verticall compliance makes it for a good ride. The flattened chain stays and hour glass seat stays make the ride much more comfy, and almost like a steel ride but not as noodly. Customer service is incredible. Highly recommend this if you are looking for a afforadable 29er hard tail that looks and rides much better then wht the price would suggest.

[Nov 06, 2011]
Dango Dog

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling, Great Build Quality. It looks like a much more expensive frameset.

Buy one. I love this bike. Handling is spot on and built up like mine, weight is reasonable for a very sturdy XC/trail bike. Did I say I love this bike?

[Sep 09, 2011]
dalmore

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame

I bought this as frameset so comment for frame only. Anyway, with my component selection the bike is awsome to ride and I simply love it. And extra 5 chilis for Chad, for best customer service ever.

My first 29er

[Jun 16, 2011]
jstaporter

OVERALL
Strength:

Customer Service

I have been a long time rodie and a bit of cross. I long held out on getting into MTB- I just have too many other hobbies to learn another skill set. My Dillenger was my first MTB, so I can not atest to its quality in comparison to other frames. What I can atest to is the customer service of Soul. Chad was always available. When I left a message he called back within an hour. When I was building the bike and encountered user errors he was there to assist. Non stop great customer service, and beyond my expectations of any company. Thanks Chad for helping me in re-expierenceing biking and for taking the time to assist. I would give 5 chilis, but I simply don't know MTBs.

[May 27, 2011]
cherrybomber

OVERALL
Strength:

great value for money. surprisingly forgiving for aluminum. very agile. gorgeous colors and logos. really great that it comes with an SS dropout and an EBB for your pleasure. :) i got a longer review over here. http://www.mynextbike.com/3/post/2010/03/soul-cycles-dillinger-review.html

some people may not like EBB. no real problems on my end though. just make sure you torque to the proper settings.

love it, not just because i sell the product but because its a really great bike. ended up buying one for myself. :D hats of to Chad!

great great value for money.

[Apr 08, 2011]
dubdryver

OVERALL
Strength:

Easton Racing 7005 Aluminum (probably the best tubing available)
Convertable from SS to geared with included hangers.
Comes with anodized color hardware parts (color of choice) Seatpost collar, EBB, and hangers.

Standover height for frame sizes, maybe.

Buying a Dillinger from Soul Cycles revitilized the idea what buying a bike was like a long time ago. Chad (the owner) is a one man show, and you get one on one service, and he does everything he can to make things right for you!

These are very high quality frames! I payed $450 for mine being that it was the brushed/clearcoat, it cost a little more. I am still considering getting the rootbeer, but need to justify having a 3rd 29er and the components to build it up.

These frames are laterally stiff, very good quality weld, and good materials. I was a slight skeptical about the EBB with the bolts at the bottom, but they have not moved at all. The frame designed is very admiral for such a budget frame cost, and the chainstay yokes look like something that would cost 3X what it did. The geometry is really good and accepts an 80 or 100mm fork. It have "wedged" chainstays that resemble somewhat of the C'Dale Flash

My normal bike is a Santa Cruz Tallboy. So when I go into ride quality, of course it isn't going to compare to a Carbon Full Suspension 29er, but I will tell you that I haven't been on a hardtail since 2002, and started riding full suspensions in 99. I am very impressed with the ride quality of the Dillinger. I do not have a steel or titanium frame to compare it to with ride quality, but if I can go from my SC Tallboy Carbon, and ride this. I think it is fair to say that the ride quality is good.

I really like this frame for versatility. I plan on using this for bike packing, and take on tasks like Muddy Buddy. I bought the Soul Cycles CroMo fork (100mm corrected)to fill such full rigid duties. At that price, its worth picking up! I have not tried the fork out yet, but it is intended to be an occasional use component.

In my opinion, Soul Cycles offers quite a lot of value for the cost. You can check ebay, Pricepoint, Nashbar or any other website, and you will be hard pressed to find a quality NEW 29er frame that is both SS and Geared for $399!

*Note* Just before purchasing this frame. I had a deposit down on a Tomac Flint 29. It can do both SS and Geared duties and has a Bushnell EBB. It is ligher than the Dillinger, but I don't think it would be as strong, and only comes in white. It was going to be a 3-6month wait for the frame at $500.00. When I asked Joel at Tomac if it came with a SS hanger, he said that you use the existing one, and either leave it be, or cut it off. As insignificant as this is...Really, cut it off?? Then I have to buy another for a geared setup? They managed to engineer what appears to be a quality MTB frame, and they are going to cut the corner on something as insignificant as a derailleur hanger? It would cost them cents on a dollar to manufacture a dedicated SS hanger that was alread cut off, sanded and painted. I just feel that, this was a failure to attention to detail. How as Soul Cycles able to not cut corners in such a way, but on top of that, anodize it in different color options, and lower the price of the frame by $100?
Just food for thought.

If you are interested in seeing what mine looks like, here is my MTBR profile. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email or message!

First Hardtail 29er, alternative to my normal ride Santa Cruz Tallboy.

[Feb 25, 2011]
h2otaco

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything about this bike is a strength, looks, handling, versatility, ride.

I don't have 2 of them.

This frame is the best value 29er anywhere. It's aluminum and it's light, but somehow it rides like steel... chain and seat stays are designed very well. Handles like a race bike, quick. Run gears or as a SS with the eccentric BB.

Watch their website and order one if they are available because they soon wont be... they make a batch and then they sell out fast. With all the anodized parts they have now the frames are works of art.

Lots of different bikes.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.