Scott Scale Comp 29er Hardtail

The new custom butted 6061 aluminum Scale 29 Team is a lightweight and durable 29” hardtail. With Shimano brakes and drivetrain, and the same celebrated geometry as its carbon siblings, it gives you a great value in a big wheeled bike.

• Frame: Scale 29 alloy 6061
  • Suspension: Suntour XCR 29 LO, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano SLX / Alivio

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 27, 2019]
    galtbarber

OVERALL
    Strength:

This bike is in great shape, almost new. Handles really well. Shifts and brakes well. Love the red 2011 look.

Too sexy !

2011
    [Jul 19, 2013]
    darren

OVERALL
    Strength:

This bike is my first 29er , although i have the 2012 version with deore mechs and xcr forks, the more i ride it the more i love it. It climbs and decends really well even at speed,the tyres are pretty grippy even on loose ground, brakes are great too .The ritchey headset is super smooth and the gears shift really well.

Dont like the way the front wheel bows out to the fork legs under heavy braking,the saddle can get a bit uncomfortable on long rides ,other than that great machine !!!!!

As my previous bike had better components (XT/XTR,HOPE , PACE forks) i was pleasantly surprised at how well the scott copes with what ever i threw at it. So to anyone out there who may not like the idea of making the change to a 29er dont be put off you will be glad you did and the scott is a great bike for the price, well worth the money.

[Nov 26, 2012]
    Angus Robertson

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast climber, fast downhill, excellent trail bike, frame is top notch for the price range, bike looks great.

The seat is a killer, I swapped it out after 15 miles, the pedals got swapped out immediately.
    I read the fork is not great, but this is a bike worthy of a fork upgrade, which I will do in time.

I looked hard at many of the best bikes under $1000.
    Came down to a Specialized Rockhopper, A Trek Mamba, Specialized Carve, and the new 2013 Scott 970. It was a tough choice and I think that any of the above would have been just as good a bike, but the choice had to made and what swung it for me was the frame quality, as I figured any of the components could be swapped out at my leisure. The Specialized Carve was a bit outwith my budget, the Specialized Rockhopper is a real nice bike but I thought the Scott frame was better and the Scot 970 had the best components, except forks, but the frame was not quite as good as the Comp. The Trek is a great bike, but I got the Comp for cheaper, so thats what swung it. It is a bike that will last me for many years, I hope, and I am very happy with it.
    This is my first 29er, and I have to say how much better and faster it feels riding a 29er than the 26, just my own view.

[Oct 09, 2012]
    max

OVERALL
    Strength:

I'm 6'3' tall. The wide handlebars make this cockpit the perfect fit.The bike's handling is awesome. The brakes and shifters are better than I hoped for on a bike at this price.

Yeah I guess the seat is a bit hard. The grips have no cushion effect whatsoever, but gel gloves solved that. The stock pedals were the first thing to be changed.

I wanted a 29'er. Rode Trek, Specialized, Felt, and Cannondale. (all really nice bikes, but none made me feel like I couldn't live without it) I saw this bike and it just looked tough. Beautiful paint scheme. I was pretty sure it was the bike I had seen in a review for the top 12 mtb's under $1000. I rode the bike and didn't want to get off of it.Went back early the next morning after thinking it over and bought it.
    I took the bike straight to a State Park near my home to get a feel for it on the dirt. The first decline I hit, was an S turn with a gravel bed at the last turn segment. The bike was fast enough to get me to hold my breath. I ended up riding around the pond trails for about 2 hours, each time hitting the tough spots more and more aggressively , and loving how well the bike responded to everything I wanted it to do.
    I ride with my teenage boys a lot. They used to make fun of me that I couldn't keep up. They aren't laughing anymore. If you are thinking of a 29'er in this price range, make sure you ride this bike before you make a decision.

[Sep 14, 2012]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent Handling. Great geometry. Versatile.

Have not found any yet.

I love this bike. I was looking for a great bike at a great price. I looked at lots of bikes before finding this one. I saw it on the wall and it just looked great. I then took it out for a test ride and new I had to have it. Best bike I road for the price range. I've taken it out several times and I it is amazing on the trails. I would recommend this bike for sure.

[Aug 30, 2012]
    Bob

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very light aluminum frame

None very good

Very good bike so far I've hade it for almost a year now and no probs.

[Jun 24, 2012]
    Theboss

OVERALL
    Strength:

The 29 in wheels Are the best part they make you much more confident on tough trails. Also the handling is great considering the fact that it is a 29er.

The pedals are kinda small but i put toe clips on it.

This was my first 29er and my first "real" mountain bike. So far it has performed well and it is blazing fast uphill. I would
    recommend this bike to anyone looking to get into the sport.

[May 09, 2012]
    Trail Addict

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light frame, spot on XC race geometry, beautiful colors.

Stock fork is garbage, bottom bracket sits very low.

I love this bike! This is my first 29er bike. I bought it new this year and so far it has exceeded my expectations. The geometry is perfect for everything like climbing, downhill, and good handling. The frame is very lightweight, the stock rims are a little on the heavy side but they are tough as tanks. The color scheme on this model really turns heads.

The only 2 things I disliked about this bike. The first was the stock garbage Suntour fork. Seriously upgrade the fork as soon as you buy one of these bikes. The stock fork is not adjustable and is very stiff, the lockout on it does work very good though.

The second thing I disliked about it was the fact that the bottom bracket sits extremely low. If you go over a log or a boulder the chainwheel will hit it and get damaged. Also the cranks will occasionally hit rocks on the trail since they go pretty low as well.

All in all it is a very fast and nimble bike.

[May 01, 2012]
    hugh

OVERALL
    Strength:

at bike for the price. I got it on sale at rei. it was the only 29er i could find in my size xl in stock in my price range, you get what you pay for. I've enjoyed riding this bike more then any I've had. feel more confident every time i ride it. I'm 60yrs old and i feel like a kid riding this thing.

the fork is adequate depending on the terrain. but again in the price range you get value for what you pay for

the frame is the key to this bike. it's excellent. I switched my tires to tubeless and it was like I got a new wheelset.the bike is worth putting upgrades on. if you do some serious trail riding an upgrade in the fork deptartment will be worth it. however at the price i paid for it and the fun it has delivered has been well worth it. I don't feel like i overpaid which i think many bikes depending on rider skill level you can overpay for. definelely worth it for the budget minded rider. you'll get a great ride and be happy you did.