Scott Scale 29 Elite 29er Hardtail

The new custom butted 6061 aluminum Scale 29 Elite is a lightweight and durable 29” hardtail. With a Shimano XT/SLX drivetrain and the same celebrated geometry as its carbon siblings, it gives you a great value in a big wheeled bike.

• Frame: Scale 29 alloy 6061
  • Suspension: Rock Shox Reba 29 RL, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano XT / SLX
  • Brakes: Avid Elixir 3 disc

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 14, 2018]
    jaden clemow

OVERALL
    Strength:

It is a very good and fast XC hardtail that can beat any endruro bike in you mtb group up the fire road.

It's wheels suck. I went of a 1 meter drop and bent both my wheels beyond repair.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2012
    [Mar 02, 2013]
    juanfran777

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very fast, light, durable, good component mix

Paint job, wheels come out of true often

Bought this bike new from the LBS. The model is scott scale 940:
    - Fork: Fox Float 32 CTD
    - XT crank, rear derailleur,
    - SLX shifters, breaks, front derailleur, rear hub
    - Tires: Rocket Ron Schwable, alex rims

This bike is the top of the aluminum models from scott.

I have been riding this bike for 3 months, xc and technical trails. The bike is very fast! Geometry is really good, it makes you ride very agresively.

Shimano components are great, very light mix, very durable and precise. I ride very technical trails with 4 feet drops, this bike has no problem handling this every day.

The aluminum has a down side, it transfers every bump... one has to absorb the impacts with legs and arms. Once you get it right the bike begins to fly.

Fork is awesome, CTD with remote lock out is great.

The paint job is no good, it scratches very easely, no matter how careful you are. A mtb must have a good paint job, your hitting bushes, roots, rocks every ride... shame on scott

A minor problem is that both wheels come out of true often, I fix this myself once a week, nothing major, but it´s important to take care of it weekly.

Tires are very good for dry conditions, fast, responsive... not good for muddy of wet conditions, but that´s normal.

Very good break system, it´s integrated into the frame/fork... nice improvement (SLX works like a charm)

I would recommend this bike, very good value for the money... no real need for upgrades so far

Trek GF Mamba

[Aug 06, 2012]
    50mm
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

-Excellent component group, a choice that's very high value for the price( SLX drivetrain, shifters, etc, and an XT rear derailleur).

-Nimble frame geometry (I switched from an XL Cannondale Trail SL4 frame to a Large Scott Scale Elite).

-180mm front brake rotor, 160mm rear brake rotor

-Racing Ralphs are a perfect fit for my style of riding. I do a lot of uphill/downhill, both technical and singletrack, yet I also find myself using this bike on the road sometimes. The tires hook up well if you know how to shift your body weight and I haven't had any issues with them aside from user error. (When these tires wear out or I plan on doing serious technical stuff, I'll switch to my Maxxis Ignitors. Don't wash out on turns like Kenda Small Block Eights).

-Reba RL 100mm air fork. REMOTE LOCKOUT via pop-loc system is such a nice thing to have. No more thinking "I don't want to let go of the handlebar just to lockout on this little climb". Effortless, effective. Tunability of this fork is really awesome, with both negative and positive air pressure reservoirs, a rebound adjustment that clicks and stays in place, and all of the info you need to set up the fork is printed onto it (I recommend experimenting). I weigh 152lbs @ 6', and I have found my optimal pressure to be 90+. Still experimenting with negative pressure, but I have it at 70psi.

-Saddle was more narrow than I prefer, so I switched it with the Stage Two saddle off of my Cannondale

-Avid Elixir 3 brakes are effective and easy to align with their coned washer system, but lack response expected from hydraulic brakes. "Squishy feel" compared to others I have used such as Hayes, but much more effective than mechanical disc brakes. No noise if you align them and bed them properly. I had my front brake bled for $10 and I am satisfied with where they're at now.

Overall, I couldn't be more happy with my new bike. I've now ridden it for over one month. I replaced a hardtail with a hardtail and the difference in quality and fit is astounding. If you're taller than 6'1" I would probably go with an XL, or buy a longer seatpost. My setting is "9/10" and any higher than 10 risks the integrity of the post. I feel much more capable with this bike. It's quite a bit lighter and there aren't cheap components snuck into the recesses of the build (the places where they matter the most) like the Cannondale I own.

Again, the brakes could be better, by not being Avid :P but you get what you pay for and this is a nice step up from an entry-level bike. In the future I may switch to Shimano hydraulic brakes, based on their solid reputation. Stopping power is great, however.

Cannondale Trail SL4 2011

[Apr 09, 2012]
    Big McK

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light frame, agile GEO, Solid drive train component group. Pop-lock Rock Shox REBA fork. I have found the Rocket Ron tires to be a good all around choice. The bike climbs like a goat.

Brakes. The Avid 3s stop you ok but wow are they annoying.

I shopped a bit before buying this and a big factor was the frame weight and geo. Scott offers a slightly more shallow HTA at 69.5 degrees than most others who come in between 70 and 72. So far this has been a BLAST to ride. Does all the things a 29er ought to. Smooths out the trails, descends with the quickness and climbs with ease. A really good frame with geometry that fits me. An excellent fork and a solid component group.

This is my first 29er

[Mar 26, 2012]
    John

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stability on descents, climbs like a mountain goat, Value.

none yet

I was very impressed with this bike. I got an extra large and was a little worried that I should have gotten a large.I'm about 6'2" ish. After riding this bike I'm glad I got the XL. The first time I rode this bike I rode the tightest, rockiest trails I could find and at no time did I wish for a smaller bike. The bike surprised me on the descents as I was always in control of the line I was on and could change lines easily even on some very very steep descents criss crossed with roots. I also have a Yeti 575 (that I love) and felt more in control on the Scott hardtail. Maybe its the bigger wheels, maybe I just go in way fast on the Yeti. After reading previous reviews I was worried I would not like the Elixir3 brakes.My LBS, where I purchased the bike recomended that I "bed in"the pads with several panic type stops on the road. I did this and found that the brakes got better with every stop and made no noise. So I have no plan to change out these brakes anytime soon, they just plain work well. The seat kinda hurts and I had to rotate the handle bar to get a comfortable position, no big deal. The stock tires are hookin up well for me, after experimenting with air pressure, and seem to roll fast.

rigid single speed 29er

[Dec 09, 2011]
    GrantB

OVERALL
    Strength:

Handling/Geometry. Weight.

None so far.

This is my first 29er, purchased to replace a broken 26 inch hard tail. I enjoy the handling, sort of in that baby bear's porridge space of not too quick, not too slow. That being said, folks who ride in the deep woods may find the handling a little on the slow side, but I don't mind working the bike a little bit for the tradeoff in carving down the line. The front end is super easy to get up and over obstacles. You aren't just relegated to a head down, pedal and plow ride like I experienced on other 29ers I test rode. I have raced it once in a 50 miler of mixed singletrack and fs roads and was really, really happy with the bike there. Seems like the perfect application for it. When not in the woods, the bike is a perfect get around town ride and happily tows my kid to school in the morning. I'm surprised by how happy I am with this bike.

First 29er, though I tested Niners, Specializeds and Konas.

[Nov 29, 2011]
    IVman

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast! Excellent climber!

Horrible brakes! They have squealed and sqeaked constantly from day one and organic pads didn't help. Modulation? What modulation?

Bought bike in June as my starter XC race bike and absolutely love it! First time riding it on my local trail I beat my PB by 10%. It definitely gets your heart pounding and it's a head-turner to boot. Absolutely awesome bike! I recommend it for anyone wanting to get into XC.

This is my first 29er

[Oct 23, 2011]
    Jono

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks great, Rides Beautifully, Was not bent out of the box and was in Australia... (see below for story on that one)

As mentioned earlier - White grips and saddle on a MTB??

This bike is awesome. I'm 6' 6" tall and am on the XL frame, the only change is the Thompson Elite post cos the Scott one was 2cm to short. This was my first 29er and I won't go back. The guys I ride with still can't believe how fast the bike is. It really does climb like a home sick angel, it sticks in the corners amazingly, it is a joy to ride. If you can get one do yourself a favour!!! The 'bent' comment comes from ordering a Kona, waiting 6 months (it arrived 3 months late) but the brake mount was welded on bent.... At any rate 1 week later I was on the Scott, a better bike that looks great and man the ride is awesome.

First 29er but had a Kona Explosif for years!

[Aug 28, 2011]
    darrinw2001

OVERALL
    Strength:

light weight, great geometry, handles very well

stock wheels were a little cheap (but so are most bikes in this price range), seat was not very comfy, but that is all

This is for the 2010 Scale 29er I bought used. love the way the bike rides and how it handles. my 1st 29er was a lot more clunky on the trails, this bike rides more like a race 26er.. handles turns very quick, and the bike is very light. This is a very good 1st attempt at a 29er for Scott and I cant wait to try the new Spark 29er coming out!

Cannondale Caffeine 29er

[Mar 12, 2011]
    davesc

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great bike, I have a Garry Fischer Wahoo and let me tell you there is no comparison between a Trek and this SCOTT, Scott 29ers kick ass

I love this bike, I love a 29er and I love SCOTT, this bike is great.

Trek Fischer Wahoo

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.