Redline Monocog Flight 29er Hardtail

The Monocog Flight features high quality Sanko tubing with slider dropouts, disc brakes, and improved cranks and wheels.

• Japanese Sanko Double Butted Chromoly frame, Slider Style
  • WTB Rocket V saddle

[Jun 16, 2018]
BigBMX

OVERALL
Strength:

light, comfy steel frame; fork accommodates 3" tires; fun geometry (they dialed in 29er geometry early), wheels that are TANKS (still holding up with no little love), sliding dropouts, the frame has lasted me 8 years of riding.

short frame front-center (distance from BB to front wheel) this leads to a FUN, nimble bike, but can lead to toe-overlap issues (especially with big rubber in front). This is speaking for a medium frame, which is smaller than today's small frames-- it is shorter than my GF's small Krampus.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2008
[Sep 15, 2014]
a29rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, flows well, maintenance free, RIGID

Maybe a tad heavy, fork chatter

Been riding the flight all season and love it. Have been riding rigid single speed more than full suspension over all trail types. Put on a set of wider tires (bontrager xr4 team) to get more float. Put on ergon grips and changed saddle. Voila..... Just go and ride.
Bike rides well, climbs strong (as long as you have the leg power for it) and handles everything well. Just pulled stock wheels off and put on a pair of mavic crossmax st's. Handling was good before and is exceptional now.
Just ride loose and climb aggressively. Great bike for a great price!!

[Aug 10, 2014]
Jung Karl

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent ride quality, reasonably light weight, good value for the money.

Found a used Monocog Flight frame cheap online and decided to build it into a do it all single speed. Wide drop bars, 80mm truvativ stem, used rigid fork off a Bianchi S.A.S.S (just enough clearance to run a 29x2.2), used oem Alex wheel set off a Scott Spark, used Deore crankset and Avid BB7's. All in all it's fairly low end kit but the ride quality on the trail tells another story all together. Pedals like a dream, incredibly agile, the ride quality of the frame/fork combo is amazingly supple. Don't pass one of these up if you find a deal, well worth the money. Quickly becoming my favorite bike for fast, flowing trails.

[Aug 10, 2014]
capt.shred

OVERALL
Strength:

steel, ride, dropouts, history.

1 1/8 head tube.

I've had several single speed xc bikes. Custom Lynskey, Kona, surly... This exceeds them all on many levels. It's light, responsive and a great price. 100mm fork brings the bike to a new level. It's an xc racer. No need for super slack angles, 16" chainstays ect... New headtube size would be nice as it's getting harder to find high end forks with 1 1/8 steer tube.

[Aug 22, 2012]
mayonayze

OVERALL
Strength:

out of the box, this bike is light, solid, and FAST. Redline put together an impressive mix of components at a crazy low cost. mine is the 2011 model

BB started crapping out after about 700 miles. i mash the chit out of climbs and so i am not really surprised, or disappointed. the chain stay is also pretty narrow and wont fit anything bigger than a 2.1. also, standing around at the trail-head waiting for your friends to muck with gear and suspension settings will get old, as the Flight is ready to rock as soon as it comes off of the rack.

i hadnt ridden a MB since i was about 15, and was excited to get on a bike again, but i wasnt sure i'd be able to get the kind of seat-time that would justify a more expensive bike. one of my lycra wearing racing buddies has a base monocog as a "play" bike and recommended i get one. to make a long story short: in a matter of weeks i went from not being on MB for 20 years to competing and placing in XC races, on this bike.

[Jan 28, 2012]
Cardoza Kidd

OVERALL
Strength:

Bike just lookz SMOOTH and it iz SOLID. I put 2001 MILEZ on it from when I received it FREE from REDLINE on 01/25/2011 until 12/31/2011 riding anywhere and everywhere here in AZ. Nothing has broken or been replaced, BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED, love it!!!

REDLINE makes solid mountain bikes, I LOVE the simplicity of the single speed and have ridden enough to be able to ride anywhere with one gear. LOVE the way the bike looks and feels and best of all it was FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Had a REDLINE D440 in 2010 and put 3738 MILES on that which earned me my FREE REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29ER. Loved that bike also but I did need to replace some things on that, but not much... REDLINE makes a great mountain bike, although honestly I only use my bikes for URBAN MOUNTAIN BIKING through the STREETZ...

[Nov 09, 2011]
multistrada

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value, Good ride quality, Climbed well, The feel of Steel...

None that i ran across. Performed well without glitches

This bike is a workhorse. Solid on the trail. Great feel from the Steel, solid climber. I had none of the issues mentioned previously regarding frames giving way. Mine is solid and i have ridden regularly in rough rocky technical terrain. My experience is positive and based on my time on the bike i could recommend it without issue - Especially for the price. Its a great value

Vassago Jabberwocky

[Sep 21, 2011]
LyonsLeo

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, fun-handling, stable at speeds, good climber, not too flexy.

Frame broke at down tube, just like so many other reviewers.

Super-fun and affordable bike that handled the Firecracker 50 as well as I did. Tire clearance could be better on the rear triangle, and the frame flexes a bit laterally, but the steel compliance is nice on the bumps - THAT IS UNTIL THE FRAME SNAPS!

Sorry Redline, but a down tube snapping in half during a descent is a deal breaker for me. I'm a 175lb XC rider who sticks to reasonable terrain. This is a rigid bike setup, so I wasn't hucking huge drops. I was merely descending a singletrack run when all of a sudden the bike folds underneath me like cheap lawn furniture.

This is the only rigid 29er I've owned.

[Jul 13, 2011]
powXer

OVERALL
Strength:

fun...rolls over anything...generally good geometry...

weak steel...chainstays don't accommodate larger tires well...poor response time from manufacturer...

rear wheel wouldn't stay put in the dropouts...eventually found that the steel in the dropouts was warped...Redline warrantied the frame and at first sent a 26" replacement...big whoops on their part...eventually sent a new Flight 29er frame, after 5+ months of waiting. But hey, I got the new frame so thanks Redline. after 2 rides on the replacement frame, I'm starting to have the same problems I had with the defective frame. I'm frustrated that I can't go a ride without the rear wheel going out-of-whack, and sick of dealing with the problem. also, the rear triangle barely accommodates a 2.2 tire. It would be nice to have more wiggle-room back there for tire size.

I think I'll be bailing on this frame and shopping around for something else.

On-One Inbred

[Jun 22, 2011]
ShoppingBag

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame, good components for the money, solid bike, unbelievably fast & powerful & fun

None yet

My 2011 Redline Monocog Flight SS 29er is a dream to ride. I picked up this bike from The Bicycle Shop in June and was a bit intimidated at first: how the hell was I going to make it up any hills with only one gear? Especially with these oversized tires!!

While not new to single-speed bikes (I’ve owned a Salsa Casserole SS for a couple years) I have never owned a 29er and didn’t know what to expect. The wheels are so large and the sprockets are so small!!

But after my first afternoon out on the bike I can tell you unequivocally that I am a huge fan of this bike. My 20 mile ride that afternoon took me all over the bike trails and single tracks that cover the lower Hillside. From Campbell Airstrip, up through Moose Meadows, this bike handled the rocks, roots and rolls of the trail with ease. Everything you hear or read about the ability of 29-inch wheels to roll over any obstacle in their path is completely true.

From Moose Meadow I turned to the more serious hill climbs of Spencer Loop and Llama Trail. Again, the bike handled all of this with ease. It wasn’t easy, mind you, and I did have to hop off the bike and hoof it up a particularly onerous incline (Wall Street) near the top of the Spencer Loop. But minus that one obstacle, the rest of the Hillside climbs were no match for the Monocog.

And let’s not forget the downhills: this is where the bike really screams. Riding the single track trails was never so much fun. The undulating terrain of Queen Bee and Killer Bee presented lots of opportunities for the bike to really open up. The 29-inch wheels handled the terrain with ease, and the steel frame did a good job — despite being a completely rigid frame — of absorbing bumps.

The 29er does handle differently than my old 26-inch steed, but it’s a snap to quickly learn how best to tame the larger tires and bike geometry. Once mastered, the bike corners and handles unbelievably well.

Everything on the bike is stock and I don’t have a single complaint. The bars are wide and give you plenty of leverage for corners and climbs. The pedals I purchased (the bike does not come with any) are Redline platforms with great cleats that really hold the foot in place. The wheels are terrific and the the brake system works great.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.