Raleigh XXIX 29er Hardtail

• Chain: KMC

[Feb 21, 2013]
JL

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, smooth, quiet, color, belt drive, clean, and the pricepoint.

Not with this bike

Thought I should give belt drive a try as a delicated single speed rider.
It is insanely quiet, smooth, and eye candy compared to chain.
The weight of this bike witb stock setup may not be ideal for weight weenies, but I don't think it's fair to talk about weight with a bike at this price point.
The performance cannot be touch by other bikes at the same price point.
I'm not sure I ever want to touh those greasy dirty chains ever again!
The EBB design for this model is very nice.
It takes a while to do initial tension set up, but once you get it you may never have to touch it again.
Go BELT!

Niner One 9 single speed chain driven (collecting dust after I got this XXIX belt drive)

[Feb 19, 2013]
matthewcooper
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredibly fun bike! After 3 years away from a lifetime of mountain biking this machine is my steed of re-entry. I love the medium geometry and the feel of steel 29er. Its a more spacious frame than most medium frames Ive riden over the years. It handles excellently going up or down, even really really fast down. The belt drive is awesome, 6 months hard riding now and not one slip or tweak. Tires are amazingly grippy yet roll quietly. Everything feels solid with a few basic changes.

Grips had to be changed immediately. Stem was too long for me and had to swap (I'm 5'9 on a medium frame with a long arm reach too). The brakes are not great, they will get you by as long as you monitor grease contact and pad wear. The front hub will loosen up and release grease onto the disc brake rotor = NO brakes! You can fix this with some lock-tite, proper tightening, and maybe some electrical tape for an additional seal.

I bought this bike barely used and love it. For the price, this has been the best mtb I've ever owned, even with the small modifications.

Lots of XC hardtails, full suspension all mountain rigs, old downhill bikes, a handful of rigid singlespeeds.

[Nov 25, 2012]
Jonathan Chapman

OVERALL
Strength:

Belt drive, Geometry in Large is good, Simplicity!

Paint job is weak and rusts, rear hub did not last, 10mm width belt snapped, grips too thin

I bought this bike in new condition. It came with a 10mm width belt and within 2 months it snapped. I received 2 replacement belts from Gates Carbon Drive at no cost. I installed the Spot Brand flange for the rear pulley to keep the belt from walking off and purchased a used Chris King single speed rear hub. Ever since those basic upgrades to the drivetrain, there has been little-to-no problems. Every 2-3 months I re-tension the belt through the EBB.
I am now sanding off rusty areas on the frame to reapply primer, pain and clear coat. Specifically, the top tube cable guides started rusting within 4 months. I've now had the bike for 1.5 years and need to repaint the top tube, bb area and other areas that were not scratched, just rusting.

I've also upgraded the poor stopping power of the Avid BB5 to hydraulics (Hayes Stroker) and that was the best improvement. Also put a Manitou Tower Pro on. Also, Oury lock on grips were the first addition.

All in all, I would rate this bike very good. But I bought it new/used for $520, not the $1100 MSRP.

[Apr 06, 2012]
jaspas

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong beefy bike, simple design, low maintenance, supple ride

bb5's are a little on the weak side, front hub loves to loosen up on it's own in the middle of a ride

I borrowed this bike from a friend for about the last month and have had so much fun! It's my first time to ride a 29er, let alone a rigid single speed. A different type of riding for sure, but a blast - makes me feel like being a kid again. Around KC, the rigid fork does just fine and the stock gearing 33x20 (I think) suites the trails around here pretty well. After adjusting the front hub, the loosening issue seems to be solved. I took this bike to CO over spring break and it (along with the altitude) reminded me of how weak I am. SS riding isn't for the faint of heart but is a lot of fun and I've had an awesome time riding this bike. If it were setup tubeless it would be even better, but I'm still able to run 25-28 psi tubed. It's a no frills, straight shooting steel 29er. If I could afford to get something like this for myself as a second bike I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thanks to this bike, I've been bitten by the 29er bug and have to evaluate how I can add one to my stable this season.

1st 29er

OVERALL
Strength:

Updated 2012 from 2011 with shorter chainstays, less flexy with belt drive. Stock trim isn't terribly cheezy, actually not bad. Very quiet and smooth.

Only thing I can cry about is the BB5 disks. Not the greatest but I have a trick to make them tolerable and knew I was buying hydros anyway. And also not so much a weakness but rather what I would call crappy business ethics...if you get the kriket belt tension gauge from Gates for a MTB belt setup, you'll pay $40.00-$50.00, but if you go to NAPA the same kriket gauge (made by Gates for NAPA mind you) is $11.00. wtf?

I love this bike so far! Glad I ordered in the 2012 instead of saving couple of hundred for hold over XXIX belt drive. They seem to have worked out the most nagging bugs and so far, no problems. Gates CDX is definitely better than 2011 model and pretty much a set it and forget it setup. However...you will need a little patience the first time you set it up and get it all straight, but after that, you're golden.

I have a Rockhopper Comp, Rockhopper Expert S.S., and Mojave29. All built up 29ers but this is first steel frame in years.

[Mar 29, 2011]
biopacebob1

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a 29er, yup

The wheelset, but at this price ? c-mon it's more than ok

Why did we have to make mtb bikes with 26 inch inch wheels in the first place ? Debate over !! 29 is the winner. turns every bit as well as the 26 " hardtail I've had for 9 years. The rocks all just got alot smaller, gotta find bigger rocks. The frame flexs real nice when a little cushion is needed. No one makes bells out of aluminum, they wouldn't ring. So why make bikes out of it ? And gears ? we don't need no stink'n gears. Anyway I just got a new bike buzz for less than a grand, way less.

[Mar 03, 2011]
Big Red

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough bike, nice geometry very grippy tires

Heavy tires BB slips some but a little locktite on the fixing screws works wonders

Great bike from Raliegh. Its almost like having an oversized BMX bike. Rides good. Check out www.agees.com for more. The bike rides smoother than I expected due to the steel construction and me being used to aluminum hardtails. Rolls over everything and I can lay it into the corners without fear of the tires slipping.

First 29

[Feb 11, 2011]
leftino

OVERALL
Strength:

Good Over all i am 1st time 29er love it so far

paint is a lil weak but hey its a mtb
Avid brakes seem a little less responsive slight adjustments seem to fix on the fly with the right tool kit

Had to but this bike at this price. My bro in law built his 29er last year.
I live in CO cold snow winters, but the rest of the year the bike tears it up all over trails here. Climbs, fire roads, desents tracks like a wolf on the hunt. ride to work on bike trails very responsive

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.