Merida Big Nine 29" 29er Hardtail

[Jan 04, 2016]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, full XT groupset, fantastic wheels. Amazing carbon frame.The ver

Cockpit won't suit everyone.

The version of the Big Nine I'm reviewing is the 2015 Big Nine 7000 and the bottom line is that I love it. The carbon frame, particularly with the thru axles front and rear, is super stiff. This thing climbs like a goat. In four weeks I have decimated my Strava PRs on every single climb I do regularly. Merida claim to have woven flax fibres into the seatstays to make them more compliant, I don't know about that, but the frame certainly isn't harsh and the combination of it and the skinny carbon seatpost keep things comfy. The groupo is straightforward XT, top quality and super reliable, I've ridden Deore and SLX brakes recently and Avids in the past and none of them can hold a candle to the XT units, the power and modulation are excellent and the Ice-tech rotors are a nice touch too. The Fulcrum Red Power wheels are light and strong, acceleration feels really snappy, no complaints about 29ers being sluggish here. The Fork is the Fox Float 32 Evolution, this unit has come in for some criticism in the past, but mine is bedding in well and has a nice feel. The remote for the fork is a feature that I use way more than I thought I would, no doubt something that helps to explain my more aggressive climbing on this bike.
The geometry is spot on, fast but not twitchy, and on the occasions that the tyres have let go on the loose stuff, I've had enough warning from the bike for it not to be a drama.
I've done quite a few 1-2 hour rides so far on this bike and one 100 miler, and whilst the saddle isn't quite right for me for the longer rides and the stem and bar height are not quite perfect yet, these are minor points.
The bottom line is that this is a quality bike and it's a real hoot to ride fast, uphill and down. After a couple of weeks getting used to it, PRs have started to fall on downhill segments as well as climbs (and this is coming from a 100mm full susser).
Merida are heavily discounted in some places at the moment. I paid NZ$2500 for this and I reckon it's the bargain of the decade.

[Jan 16, 2013]
SLIP TIP

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfy, fast, solid and well built race Geo. Good design team and pro racing team allows for quality R&D.
Very keen and stable on the downhills and a fair climber.

Wheel set, upgrade number 1.

Very good value for money. All the components are quite well scourced, top end spec bikes are well loaded with shimano xt group sets. I don't think they have an XTR range. It is a very capable bike and should you compare value to the other top brands, specialized, trek, giant.... Merida will come in tops for value.

[Oct 29, 2012]
kulalok

OVERALL
Strength:

Swap my Rockhopper 29er with this bike..Im slow rider, but now my pace getting faster.

Bit weighty but no problem to climb

Very good bike to start with 29er. Recommended for gaining your riding strength before grab more elite and lights bike..

[May 11, 2012]
Nathan

OVERALL
Strength:

The 2012 model has good components function well very good value for the money

High weight but not that bad

Good value for the money

[Jan 23, 2012]
suvacrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Efficient 29er like traits. Stiff.

Bottom Bracket was low...I tagged more rocks and terrain in one loop than I had on other bikes in years of riding.
Rental spec shock bottomed out constantly.
Heavy! Wheels were like boat anchors.
Had to really get the body English going t o get this to roll the switchbacks at any respectable pace.

In all fairness, I rented the bike to play in Makara as opposed to bringing my carbon rocket across the pacific....so peripherals weren't the best as it was spec'd to take the abuse of the rental crowd.
Next time I would probably ship my bike(s) and avoid rolling on this rig again.
As a beater bike/rental..totally fine, if you were gogin to bank miles on it....upgrade the components for sure.