Marin Nail Trail 29er Hardtail

• Crankset: Shimano HollowTech II Arms, 44/32/22

[Sep 17, 2014]
MicroTim

OVERALL
Strength:

Reba fork, dependable drivetrain.

Rims were not tubeless compatible, only a 9mm QR in the rear.

This is for the 2014 Marin Nail Trail 29er. Been riding this bike for ~6 months now and absolutely love it. The frame is super stiff which was one of the main selling points for me. The geometry is classic XC 29er. I put a dropper post, shorter stem, and some tubeless rims on it and bomb the local trails (Brown County IN). This bike is perfect for where and how I ride, a huge improvement over my last hardtail. Plenty of thought went into the finishing touches with quality quick releases and attention to the small details.

Bottom line: not the lightest rig around but it's sure built tough.

[Nov 08, 2011]
krash670

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat, compentry set up, it's a 29er!!!

Wheels are a little weak for bigger riders. Grips weren't too comfortable.

This bike is awesome! I bought this bike, my first 29er, just before I had gastric bypass surgery. The first time I rode it I felt a bit wierd. I wasn't use to sitting so high up on a bike. My previous bikes included a Specialized Hard Rock (1990), Trek 800 (1995), Marin Team Issue (1997), and a Specialized Stump Jumper (1999), and all were 26"ers. After about a week of riding the Nail Trail it felt as natural to me as any other bike. The biggest thing I noticed is how this bike climbs. It is incredible! It shoots up-hill. The only problem I've had was the rear wheel. I snapped spokes like they were twiggs every few rides. I have hopefully solved this issue by purchasing a hand spun 36 hole DT/Swiss rim with an XT hub. I haven't had any problems thus far. I also found my pinky and ring fingers constantly going numb when riding. I took the stock grips off and replaced them with a set of Ergon GP-1 grips. I have not had any problems since then, and that's been about a 1 1/2 years. I love this bike, and the 29er set up. I am 6-05 / 235lbs. and this bike can handle all I can throw at it. If you are in need of a good 29er I can't think you wouldn't be happy with the Nail Trail 29er.

[May 31, 2011]
GoRon

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, good stock components.

I've realized I need a more aggressive tire for my style of riding. The Contis aren't quite grippy enough for me on damp roots and rocks they also feel a little unstable in soft stuff on top of hard pack. I bent the rear rim after taking a spill and will be sacrificing a little weight for a heaver but beafier set up in back.

I jumped back on my 26" Trek after having been riding my Nail Trail exclusively all spring. I'm a dedicated 29er for sure now. My riding style and some of the places I ride (think rock gardens) are a little aggressive for the wheelset on this bike so I'll be putting a Sun MTX33 on the back. That and a more aggressive tire up front. I'm very very happy with this bike so far!!

[Oct 07, 2009]
Marin29r

OVERALL
Strength:

Typical awesome Marin fit/finish and overall build quality. Nice Fox R29 fork along with XT rear derailler and new Shimano SLX drivetrain including new SLX hydraulic disc. WTB wheels/Laser Seat, Shimano 520 clipless/XT cranks.

So far have not found any.

I have been wondering what the difference would be going to a 29" Hardtail from my full suspension rides. I have to admit that since I purchased the 29er I gave the Specialized to my wife and have only been riding the Marin. This bike is AWESOME!!! Go to your favorite bike shop and try one, you will be hooked!! Retail the bike is $1995.00 but I got it for $1600.00 and it is worth every penny.