Marin Alpine Trail 29er Hardtail

Marin Alpine Trail's big wheels equal big speed. Every Marin 29er is designed to elevate your ride. Combining Marin's proprietary 29er geometry with the inherent qualities of larger 29" wheels, every bike offers a stable ride that rolls over roots, rails

[Oct 06, 2013]
itskier

OVERALL
Strength:

Components value for price paid are better than the competition. Drive train brakes, fork, all higher end compared to others at this price point. I bought the 2013 version at the 2014 model turnover time for about a 30% discount. Shopped around and around almost too much at a bunch of local shops and the Marin came out the winner by a good margin.

Higher end components would push this past 1k real fast

I have been smashing this bike around for a couple months. I am very happy with it, the frame and wheels and stock tires all make for a very snappy and agile 29er hard tail. I climb some very steep rocky front range trails it rolls on with your momentum very well yet can make a quick turn as needed. It has weathered some heavy drops, that I landed hard on and just keep rolling. To have a fork with preload, lockout and rebound adjustments for this price is hard to find. Seems to work fine. I would highly recommend if you can find one.

Trek, Specialized, Kona

[Aug 19, 2013]
Chris Broad

OVERALL
Strength:

The weight is reasonable and the brakes and drive train work well it is a good value 29er

nothing apparent

I started with a Marin Shore Trail this bike is in a different league

[Jan 14, 2013]
OutThere

OVERALL
Strength:

the parts, pretty much anything NONE Marin, the Shimano components, the Fox fork etc.

The Frame, duh.

Frame cracked w/in 6 months of using, Marin refused warranty. Back to the big red S I guess (Specialized)

[Sep 09, 2012]
John OBannon

OVERALL
Strength:

Feel solid, gears shift smoothly, really like the 29'er tiires. It really seems to climb well.

I changed out the seat, and put on better pedals. The front shock adjustments are clunky, except for the lockout.

Great bike for the price that I paid for it (compared to the others in that price range). Fun to ride and makes it my old '89 Rockhopper Comp seem like a kid's toy. I ride mainly very rocky, rough , and infrequently travelled Montana mountain roads. Since I don't have alot of experience with other bikes, all I can say is it works very well and I'm really impressed with the brakes. However, it would have been nice to have at tried out a bike with a higher end fronr shock to compare it to. The shock adjustments (except for the lockout feature) don't seem to dramatically change the shocks operation. I have yet to bottom out the shock, which may say something about the way I ride, but I do go over quite rugged rocks and bumps at moderate speeds. I didn't have the finances at this time for a higher end shock, but the bottom line is that I certainly enjoy the riding this bike.

[Sep 02, 2012]
Brich

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame
Brakes work great
Decent form for price
Style

Super wide handle bar

I've ridden about 50 miles of trail on the bike and have found it to be surprisingly great. It handles well and climbs very well. The brakes slow you down well when going down hill. I find the saddle with biking shorts to be adequate. I paid 630 for the bike new on close out at rei. Best new 29er for the price for sure you get the bottom of quality components from shimano, which just work well. If they break you have saved money on the sticker price to replace them with higher grade stuff.

I highly recommend this bike!

[Jun 26, 2012]
Yaroslav Voytovych

OVERALL
Strength:

Continental Race King 2.0 tires - yeah, these work
Brakes - very good, as for mechanic brakes

Frame - cracked within 1 year
Saddle - the worst saddle I ever used
Fork - very poor performance, than failed
Grips - slips when you ride
Hubs - poor
Rims - weak
All the drivetrain - poor

The frame cracked. Marin refused to replace the cracked frame. That's the story.

[Jun 05, 2012]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles great, comfortable position, good components for price point.

Bit heavy, grips, pedals.

Great bang for the buck. Components are as good or better than any other brand at this price point. Also has a decent Rock Shox shock when compared to others. Most others were Suntour and NONE had rebound adjustment. Smooth shifting and brakes work great. I pedal, it goes. No complaints.

[Oct 19, 2011]
tc054

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles great, fast, very good components, awesome for the big guys- 6'6 230.

could use a better tires and seat

upgraded from a GT Aggressor 1.0. Unbelievable difference. Made the trail 80% easier and enjoyable. A+

[Jun 20, 2011]
anthma

OVERALL
Strength:

Great entry level 29er! Just a few upgrades make it better!
Ruby SL, brake levers, clipless pedals, cranks, stem and bars and grips. Also made single speed!

Still kinda heavy- lighter hubs/rims would help

Good value bike. Tall people should love!

[Jun 15, 2011]
bigwheelie

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry perfect for my build and style of riding, frame (strong) not overly heavy and very worthy of upgrades.

Stock Forks, Cranks, wheelset, bars are poor quality but expected on a $800.00 29er hardtail

Best riding 29er I ever rode, each 29er I've owned has been a slightly better geometry with the Alpine Trail 29er being the best, it doesn't have the Frame twist that the $2,000 Marin Nail Trail has. A friend owns one and we both have noticed this. Despite Recon Forks as opposed to the Fox on the Nail Trail for $200.00 less I feel I have a better crank set, wheelset, bar, pedals and a bike only a few ounces heavier. Fast, smooth with great natural cornering ability and great predictable trail manners. It may be an Alpine Trail 29er but it is a unique creation with my hand picked components. Much better than the showroom version and Remember that this frame is a well kept secret of being a good riding frame that is worthy of upgrading, some of the welds aren't as beautifully done as some more expensive bikes but do not hurt the strength and rigidity of frame.

Marin Palisades trail 29er (bad geometry) Giant XTC 29er, Haro Ally SS 29er.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.