Litespeed Cohutta 29er Hardtail

Available At

Attention endurance and dirt lovers: from our titanium shop, we're introducing a rough and tumble hardtail named after the Cohutta 100 race in Copperhill, TN. Featuring the industry's first 29er-specific tubeset, the Cohutta features an angle-adjustable 49mm head tube with 80-120mm fork compatibility. Its light front end tracks exactly where you tell it to go. So, go. Ride Highlights -Press Fit 30 bottom bracket -80-120mm fork travel

[May 22, 2019]
Absolutelywickedguy

OVERALL
Strength:

This is one the the beefiest Titanium hardtail you can get on the market. I also own the Lynskey Pro29er which is a real welter-weight compared to the Cohutta but I won’t be worried about bashing the Litespeed through a gnarly punishing course. I rode it with both the 100mm and 120mm travel and felt the bike more dialled in with the latter setup. Angleset to ease the fork with more slack makes it a dream in handling. The EBB option allows for it to be set up as a single speed and this suits me perfectly.

The price point makes it prohibitive but it was difficult to find another Ti bike with such robustness, the closest perhaps being the Lynskey M390 (but it doesn’t look quite as handsome). Yes it is hefty on the scales compared to most Ti bikes nowadays but I guess rigidity and bombproofness has a price. Oddly, when riding it, I do not quite feel the weight though. Probably biggest drawback is the after sales service from the makers. They’re really losing out on their fan club if they don’t transform soon.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2015
[Jan 29, 2012]
saffermtbkr

OVERALL
Strength:

Titanium durability, Great looks, smooth handling even compared to my carbon 29ers

Weight - its heavy. I have a medium size frame and find that the chain ring clearance is very poor - about 2 -3mm between the large (40t) chain ring and the chain stay. The clearance between the rear tire and the front dérailleur is also a small issue. I am using an XTR M980 top pull front dérailleur. I had to cut off the a piece on the dérailleur which will be used for a button pull frame to allow more clearance. This seems to be a common problem on some other 29ers as well (Karate Monkey is an example)

Great bike, all in all. With a small DIY the tire issue is not a major problem. Bike handles well, climbs well. But its a lot of money for a frame which has some design flaws.