Kona Mahuna 29er Hardtail

Designed specifically to be an excellent-value, entry-level mountain bike, the Mahuna ("green beans" in Croatian) is a 29-inch-wheel hardtail perfect for those with a curiosity for jumping on the big-wheel bandwagon. Built using Kona's sweet-riding 29er geometry and 7005 Aluminum Butted tubing, the Mahuna is all about keeping things simple and fun, with components selected to keep the Long Sweet Ride going for years.

• SRAM X4 drivetrain
  • Kona Custom cockpit
  • Suntour SF11 XCT fork w/ lockout
  • Avid Elixir 1 brakes

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 12, 2018]
    peNKku

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very stable to ride even in rough conditions and fun!

For my use i could use longer travel fork

Price Paid:
    [Dec 15, 2015]
    Paul Cappiello
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast, stable, great rubber. Excellent platform to build on

2016 Kona Mahuna
    Did a ton of research before this purchase. I'm a roadie turned cross dweeb who got a hankering for trails. Didn't want to break the bank on something I was going to abuse in the mud. After a bunch of rides on both easy and very tech trails I have nothing but great reviews for the Mahuna.

Frame is solid and one I will keep for a long time. Probably not going to do high powered racing so the fact that it isn't feather weight carbon is no problem. It rides very stable, is easy to control and moves quite nimbly on trail and road. The low level drive train works just fine. While some say it may not be as durable as higher priced offerings I figure I'll bang them off rocks and stumps and will have to replace anyway and can upgrade then if I need to. In testing out the Acer, Altus and Alivio I honestly don't see that much difference - for those of you doing the excruciating comparison spreadsheet out there.

The low end hydraulic brakes (m355) work extremely well. Plenty of stopping power and good modulation.

Wheels are bombproof. Have had a few nasty crunches and they took it all in stride. A little heavy but at the price point they are a great value. Would love tubeless but honestly I've been running these at about 32 front and 36 rear and that has been great. Just finished a combo hard pack, loose gravel, mud with dry leaves covering half of all. The Sagurro 2.2s are great. Would want a little more aggressive tread for very muddy conditions but otherwise they are excellent.

Stem, bar, eye all matched up for a very comfortable cockpit. Would love a beefier grip but I'm 6-1 and 195 and have a bit of a gorilla grip. Large size fit me perfectly.

I looked at many similar priced models out there. This and the Rocky Mountain 920 seemed the best value and closely matched.

No regrets. I'm having a ball on the trails on the Mahuna.

I also ride a road Lynskey Ti a Ultegra level racer, carbon cross bike built up from no-name carbon frame with Sram CX-1 1x11, and a few single speeds.

[Aug 23, 2015]
    Jackson
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Weight
    Brakes
    Shifters
    SADDLE
    GRIPS+++
    Bars
    Rims

Pedals
    Forks

I bought this bike because I didn't want a softtail for my TRAIL / AM endeavours for the reason that I also do a lot of riding on the roads. I was looking at Trek and Specialized mostly, but then one of my local dealers introduced me to the Mahuna. I had been searching for a bike for about 8 months, and I bought the Kona Mahuna 29er Hardtail about 2 days after I had first seen/heard about it. The bike is a very good buy for its price, and you can expect very good quality out of it so long as you're not taking it on double black technicals. It handles really well, and the centre of gravity is ideal. It suits my commuting lifestyle, however my dark side of Trail and All Mountain defy this bike's capabilities. It's awesome on dirt jumps though :D

[Mar 12, 2015]
    cyberlogicx

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, rear rack compatible, geometry, weight, lifetime frame warranty, decent components for the price, surprisingly comfortable saddle

Fork, pedals

I bought this as a commuting and XC trail bike. I love 29er wheels for commuting since it makes the bike faster than a 26 on roads and rolling hills. I didn't need anything too expensive or serious for what I was doing, since I also haul my toddler around in a trailer. What caught my eye about the Kona was the fairly decent component set (for the price) the lockout fork, and the fact that it has threaded eyelets on the seat stays for a rack. It also doesn't look half bad in matte black. The fork is pretty terrible. It's mushy and can't really be adjusted, but it has a lockout and at the price of the bike I'm not going to complain. I also swapped out the super cheap Wellgo platform pedals because they are just plain awful. Had my LBS install Shimano Deore XT pedals. So far, I love this bike.

Haro Flightline Sport (2012)

[Nov 05, 2014]
    videoboyMatt

OVERALL
    Strength:

9 speed, good for the price range, as many bikes are being sold with 8 speed cassettes (good for upgrading), amazing frame and build quality. Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, decent SRAM crank for bike level.

Thin sticky grips, not amazing fork, but not terrible, Altus rear derailer not competative.

My girlfriend bought a 2014 the same time I bought a Cinder Cone. We looked at about 20 bikes, and it really came down to this and Scott. What you get is a much better frame than anything from Trek in this price range..and you can tell instantly. The build quality is top notch, with some of the best looking welds, 4 colour matte paint job and aggressive geometry that doesn't look like a hybrid with knob tires. The headset is the same as the one on my Cinder Cone (my bike cost $400 more). It comes with a 9 speed cassette, good compared to many bikes that were offering 8 speed, making it great for upgrading. That is a good thing because Altus is crap. Fortunantly our LBS upgraded her rear derailer to Deore free to compete with Scott at the same price. Overall it is a great bike worth upgrades, something many entry level mountain bikes are not worth doing. Also on the plus side this bike is clearly less common than any Trek or Giant, when you meet bike snobs..you will get more credit. My girlfriend rides it 20-35 miles a day 4-5 days a week. She loves it.

Kona Cinder Cone, Scott Scale 750, 970, Marin Muirwoods

[Oct 28, 2013]
    roknfnrol

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfortable, great cockpit fit, love the drivetrain and the brakes.

I wish the handlebars were wider. Also, the fork is pretty heavy and very low-end.

Overall it's a great bike. It was my first 29er and it really allowed me to gain speed and roll over anything.

[Aug 28, 2013]
    Brian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice breaks, durable

Some gear tuning from time to time

I'm a big guy (~250 lbs) and have ridden it hard for a few months on rocky trails. I haven't had a single durability issue. The paint has held up well, and it comes with touch-up paint (which I haven't needed). There isn't a single component that is irritating me enough to want to swap it out. So far it has been a good value for an entry-level mtn bike.

[Aug 15, 2013]
    Zack

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks cool

Cheaply made

When I bought the bike and took it home I noticed the second cog was bent beyond use... nice QC Kona. In under 30 miles I have had a broken fork and the derailluer snaped off the frame. Many different brands of bikes out there stay away from Kona!!!!

[Jul 12, 2013]
    Dan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great frame, feels solid and is responsive...for the size (I have a 22" frame) it's not too heavy...love the hydralic brakes.

The only issue I have had is frequent gearing tuning, but could be just the break in period.

Overall, I am very happy with the bike, I bought one for me and one for my mountain bike racing daughter, she has really wiped out a couple times, had some injuries and a couple dings to the bike, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed...seems in 2013 they fixed the paint chipping problem I have read about earlier, cuz we haven't seen any of that. After a lifetime of "pretty good fit" frames, this one feels better than them all.

[Jun 28, 2013]
    hardtailrider2013

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great bike, looks good, feels solid, tyres have good traction, seat is great, brakes are realy good, love the sram x4 and It's light. I can't say if it's durable it's been 1 week but haven't had any problems :D

Paint chips easily, I just brushed againts a plank of wood and the paint got away :/ Not that it's realy a BIG problem.. but yeah. Brakes squeals sometimes, The suspension, but it's normal for the price considering all the other good components, but still a good suspension.

Realy good entry bike, it's my first mountain bike and I love it! Definitely a good purchase! :D

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.