Kona Kahuna 29er Hardtail

"Priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession." That's how the Hawaiians define "Kahuna." Our Kahuna is the same-master of all. Made of high-grade 7005 Aluminum Butted tubing, the Kahuna comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame and a blend of smooth functioning components. This fantastic 29-inch-wheel hardtail mountain bike is designed specifically for those looking to add a dash of speed to their wilderness wanderings.

• Fork: RockShox Dart 3 29 80mm
  • USER REVIEWS

[Jul 05, 2020]
    DamianMar

OVERALL
    Strength:

For me, it felt more at home on gravity-fed trails rather than rolling trails. It is also great on gravity-fed stuff, but better on rolling trails. Less travel probably contributed, and it also rode higher in the travel than the process. It was super fun to wheelie/manual and snap around corners, but the rear end didn't feel as composed as the Troy, especially when braking.

There aren't any significant weaknesses that would stop me from recommending this model.

Used
    [Jun 23, 2020]
    eddieq

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great beginner bike. Love the way it handles on inclines and down the trails. The sram components make shifting and stopping so simple and fun. I already ordered my driver post to enjoy my rides even more.

You get what you pay for. I’m not going to down play this model since I’m a beginner but if I want to upgrade the options are there.

2020
    [May 24, 2020]
    konassuck

OVERALL
    Strength:

really doesn't have any for 1500.00$

I have owned this bike for less than six months, and have had nothing but problems. I am using it as a commuter bike, staying to paved and packed trails. So far I had to have the crank assembly replaced after it broke. The drive ring up graded and recently the hanger for the derailer shaped on half. I ride a 2005 supercycle on the same trails which holds up just fine. Don't waste your money on this bike.

2019
    [Oct 14, 2019]
    ofer

OVERALL
    Strength:

The bicycle geometry fits me great. SRAM X5 is has almost zero issues! Very reliable and the bicycle simply does almost everything I do (from XC, AM, singles)

I did upgrade the brakes since they were a bit “soft” and the 100 mm rockshox is ok but a 120 mm would be preferred

2012
    [Jan 17, 2019]
    dave36425

OVERALL
    Strength:

Reliable components, 1x for easy use, 29`` wheels overcomes harsh ride characteristics of a hardtail, tires provide great grip, tubpess ready

No dropper post included

2018
    [Jun 27, 2017]
    JD

Bad customer service

Broken in the box and I got some asshat at Corporate won't help
    Total junk
    I can't ride it so why would I recommend it

[Aug 02, 2016]
    Rohanday
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame is light enough, super fast handling, agile and loads of fun, I sold off my big hit and coiler supreme for this and love it , changed stem for a stubby one, cranks for homeowners es, new rockshox xc30 golds and popped on some old east on ea50 risers I had lying around, changed out front tyre for a mountain king , now it really works for me :-)

Forks are basic but they do work sort of, now changed to xc30 gold with air and this thing now glides off lips,

Absolutely loving it and the orange paint , after a few mods an awesome ride

[May 13, 2016]
    Jordan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame, weight, hydraulic Deore brakes, Deore shifters/derailleurs... Color!

Wheels (wtb 19inch), fork.

2014 Kona Kahuna, base model, size 19", 29" tires. I love this bike. Rides great and has never let me down (well.. Once, but my fault). I ride smooth single track, rocks, roots, drop offs, climbs, descents.... Pretty much all except dirt jumps and free ride type stuff. I upgraded the wheels to wtb i23 after I taco'd the front wheel on a small jump, and swapped the maxis ikons for Kenda nevagals. I ride this bike everywhere and keep up with the full suspension crowd on all but the most difficult terrain.

The only thing I'm looking to upgrade now is the fork (xc32, spring, no air, 9mm quick release). I'm a Clyde (235 lbs) and I want to ride this bike on any trail I desire, so I'm looking at increasing travel to 120mm with 34 or 35 mm stanchions and a 15 or 20 mm axle. I'll also be adding a dropper post. It will be a perfect, at least for me, hardtail at that point. Oh, and it's bright orange... I love the friggin color!