KHS Solo-One SE 29er Hardtail

[Jul 30, 2011]
mikeb

OVERALL
Strength:

this thing climbs like a frog jumps out of a dynamite pond. the steel frame is well, a steel frame. very nice on buff singletrack. the fact that the stock rhyno lite rims are eyeletted did not escape me, either. nice looking paint and low key graphics round out an attractive package.

chain tensioning system is not so great, stock vee brakes and levers feel cheap. the stock headset requires regular attention. stock kenda tires don't seem to have a lot of grip on the edges when pushed hard through loose dirt or sand.

i swore that i'd never jump on the twenty niner bandwagon until this thing was given to me on my forty ninth birthday. i am amazed at how even a fully rigid niner just rolls right over stuff that i would think twice about aboard my front suspended ibis alibi hardtail. the KHS solo one climbs better than either my hardtail or the cross bike...but once you point this rig downhill it's hold on for dear life and put your mouthpiece in...but that's the beauty of riding rigid--it's more of a skill thing.

i would happily recommend this bike to somebody who is looking to try a 29er but not willing to bet the ranch on a nice one with all the bells and whistles.

some sort of salsa 29'er

[Feb 13, 2011]
Arturo

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry is spot on excepting a little toe overlap... the nature of the 29er beast. Fast uphill and on the flat. Good beginner 29er. Turns phenomenally, railing turns which made my 26er friends nearly go over the high-side. Light.

An atrocity to ride downhill or over rocks... horribly un-compliant. Transfers every pebble into an unbearable jolt through your joints. Choose the line of least resistance.

Im hoping that a suspension fork will remedy the stiffness issues and allow me to truly ride. Bike handles well for what it is, an entry level 29er. Brilliant value, but its jarring ride lets it down.

Surly Karate Monkey (Far superior as well as more expensive.) Tallboy (Simply brilliant. Not mine... not even a comparison really.)

[Sep 10, 2008]
grantheppes

OVERALL

Just got the 09 and they put a new bar near the rear drop out on the Disc Brake Side. I guess thats to help with preventing the dropout to become the shape of a bean. So hopefully they fixed that weak spot! So far so good. The Chain tensioning system still seems kinda weak.

[Aug 25, 2008]
grantheppes

OVERALL
Strength:

Color is pretty cool.

Chain tensioning system is weak.
I used it for about a month and the horizontal droupout bent.
KHS is sending me an 09. From the look of the 09 solo one, it seems like their new tensioning system is much stronger.

Upset with the bike, but KHS is making it up to me through giving me a new frame. 09 seems like it has a much better tensioning system which is needed. (pics aren't out yet.) If your looking to get this frame, get the 09 or wait till that is available

Redline D440 29er

[Jun 20, 2008]
Nate Bean

Strength:

Rear drop out design with rear disc brake mount is garbage.

The bike lasted exactly 4.20 miles or 30 minutes of riding until the rear drop out resembled a bean.

[Mar 12, 2008]
steven boltzsmann

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap, simple and smooth

rear dropouts, see below

i bought and reviewed this bike a few months ago and raved about it. i still love it but needs serious mods around the back wheel to give me confidence on it now. the connection between dropout to which the wheel is attached and rear stays is getting very sloppy to the point where i cant tighten it anymore and the rear wheel feels only loosely attached to the frame. the local bs are at a loss as well. i cant fix the wheel straight in the frame and as soon as i hit the brakes things move even more. no doubt i made it worse by putting discs on this bike but its made for it. its still great value but unless you want to play mr fixit beware.

no other 29ers

[Dec 03, 2007]
Chuck

OVERALL
Strength:

Tons of fun stock with a lot of versatility for the future. Depending on what you want to do, this bike can be built into a fully geared 29er hardtail(cable braze-ons are already on the frame) or keep it a single speed and add some drop bars,cane creek drop v levers and cross tires for a single speed crosser. I've added a 22 tooth cog on the flip-flop hub to have some more climbing power. All I have to do is flip the wheel for either a 20 tooth or 22 tooth depending on the terrain. Despite the great value of picking this bike up on sale, it fits great. It was a pleasure to ride right off the showroom. I highly recommend it.

none so far

"Big Grin" that's what you'll have on your face when you ride a Solo One for the first time. My first experience with a single speed and a 29er and I couldn't be happier.

[Nov 17, 2007]
Greg Gebhardt

OVERALL
Strength:

**Note: This review is for the KHS SOLO ONE 29er, not the SE.**

Great value, seemingly bombproof frame, perfect fit.

Weight, components.

First is the fit; I'm 6'4" and most 26" frames fit small for me. I got the XL Solo One and out of the box it was a perfect fit. The bike is a helluva lot of fun on a serious budget. If you're interested in trying out 29 SS rigid, this is a good start. I recommend changing out the HS and also making sure to check the hubs before and after the first few rides. My hubs came loose out of the box.

[Oct 11, 2007]
steven boltzmann

OVERALL
Strength:

rolls beautifully

stock brakes and heavy bars

this bike is perfect for rolling trails, x-country or urban riding and on my daily commute i havnt touched my much more expensive bikes in ages. i dont think its as good for technical or steep stuff, getting the front wheel off the ground is tough, bunny hoppin this thing is a challenge and getting enough leverage for steep climbs without momentum it painful with the big wheels. that being said these traits are probably more single speed and 29er related than specific to this bike.
there is no doubt that riding this bike on tough trails will make you a much better rider in terms of strength and skill as its so challenging. if i cant make a certain section then its down to me, not my choice of gears, suspension settings etc. the simplicity is less forgiving but fantastic.
most of the time, if im riding this bike then its so cruisy i dont want to get off!

no other 29ers

[Sep 22, 2007]
DD

OVERALL
Strength:

Double-butted steel frame, decent wheelset (Rhinolites), tires (Kenda Karmas), handlebar and stem. Hubs and frame/fork ready for disk brakes.

V-brakes, seat, pedals, crankset.

This is my first experience on a 29er let alone a single speed, and the first time I'm riding a steel bike since the mid-90's. The steel frame and fork are very forgiving, and the 29" wheels make obstacles and sand a breeze. The tires surprised me in how well they hooked up in the loose stuff. 33:20 gearing is a bit low, as I max out at about 14 mph. I'll be switching to 33:18 or 33:17 which should suit the flatter trails better. I haven't noticed much in the way of rolling resistence, but definitely noticed the increased angular momentum when climbing. If you keep your speed up, you just fly over the tops of hills! The 29" wheel size truely fits me better than the 26" size (I'm 6' with a long torso). This bike was intended to supplement my higher-end full suspension (Ibex Asta Pro), but now it's going to be difficult to pick between the two!

I will be upgrading to Truvativ FireX cranks and BB7 brakes. The v-brakes just don't slow down the big wheels quite fast enough for my taste although you get rewarded for keeping as much momentum as possible.

5 Chilis for the end-of-the-year sale I jumped on, and for the performance of the bike. I got a lot more than I expected.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.