Jamis Exile 2 29er Hardtail

You don't needTo drop big coinTo play withThe big wheels. Jamis has your back.The Exile delivers a 29-er specific frame design at aTasty price. You can buildThis up into a worthy 29'er cross-country bike easily. Swept-styleTopTube delivers a low standover height, whileThe specially shaped downtube eliminates clearance problems withThe control knobs on some 29'er forks. A well-thought out design. To complete your bike build, you'll need:

[Aug 23, 2019]
Gslim26

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Value Agile Handling Great Geometry Rolls Fast 100% Reliable On the heavy side at 34lbs

I bought this bike new in 2011 as a close out model on sale for $900. Spec'd as Exile II with XT components there was no better spec'd bike for the money. I test rode Trek, Specialized & Giant and hands down the Jamis felt more comfortable and easy to ride. The geometry didn't had my toes clipping the front tire like some of the others. Its now 2019 August 22 & I still own this bike with all the original components. They just never broke and kept on going. With regular servicing this has been the best Bike for the money spent I've ever owned. Only upgrading the cockpit; bars, seat, stem, grips this bike comes in right at 32lbs with original tires & tubes. It's still 3x9 & while my new Specialized Camber is a 1x10 for my trails I still use all the gears of the 3x9 that at times I wish I had on my 1x10. It rides faster on open single track than the 27.5+ (2.8) Camber I have which is why I still love it. It has become by back up / loaner bike for friends that want to go ride & it makes a great beginner 29er bike. Jamis always had great value but I did notice the yr after this bike they dropped the specs some & prices have slowly gone up. It handles great, rolls fast, good value pr dollar, 100% reliable. They only Con maybe that it was originally a 34lb bike but come on in 2011 for a new 29er under $1k I can live with that!

Price Paid:
2011
[Aug 23, 2019]
Gslim26

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Value Rolls Fast Agile handling 100% reliable Great geometry HT 29er Heavy at 34lbs stock

Price Paid:
2011
[Apr 24, 2011]
asuprice

OVERALL
Strength:

Hydro Brakes, Tora Fork, 9 speed components

None I can see yet.

Love the low standover height and geometry of this bike. Doesn't feel enormous under me like the other bikes I tried did. this is my first 29er and I'm sold on them now. Riding trails has gotten much easier when it comes to rolling rock gardens, logs, etc. Try this out. You'll be very happy.

Cannondale Trail Sl 2 29er, Gary Fisher Mamba 29er, Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

[Feb 04, 2011]
barnettd

OVERALL
Strength:

JAMIS Exile II - Components (for the price) and frame design. For my preference it fit my riding profile the best.

Still adjusting to it but I haven't noticed a weakness.

I rode numerous bikes from Giant, Trek, GF, Specialized etc... In the $1100 price range I did not come across any earth shaking differences except the frame of the Jamis. I think that the frame of the Exile series is a great shape for 29ers. It moves the seating position and top tube down significantly and thus makes it more comfortable on cross county type trails.

Trek 26 inch, Giant 26 inch

[Feb 03, 2011]
wolfboy0000

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame design, better components than Exile I, for 200 dollars more you get upgraded BB, hydro brakes, shifters, front shock and seatpost, etc.

Noticed after a couple of rides I found spokes loosened up on rear wheel, I rode hard and was sliding the rear wheel around corners, This was probably flexing the wheel sideways and loosened the spokes, front wheel was fine.

There are better bikes and worse bikes, but for the money this is one of the best bikes going. Components are great, frame is solid, looks of the bike are great, and it has a good feel to it, that was one of the selling points for me.
After riding several different brands and styles this one fit my riding style the best. One thing I suggest is getting a bike that is one step above your ability, that way months after you get the bike you'll feel better about your purchase, and you want have to start upgrading everything on it. Ride several, get some on loan, ride friends, but be sure before you spend the money, Nothing worse than buyers remorse.

26 inch pacific mountain bike no shock, 26 inch Trek mountain.

[Aug 20, 2010]
jon

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, comfort, components, geometry

None so far

this is a great bike if you are looking for a 29er. i was skeptical at first to make the switch but after some coaxing from a friend i test rode the exile and then bought the exile 2 no regret here.

Jamis Exile

[Jun 22, 2010]
waspirate

OVERALL
Strength:

Look, stiffness, Color, comfort, fast as hell, very easy to manuver, Kicks ass period.....have you seen such a sexy frame for a 29er?????

Kinda cheaper componets, but thats way you upgrade!!!

Get It! You cant go wrong with Jamis and this is a masterpiece. For that price you can't go wrong with this bike.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.