Jamis Dragon 29er Hardtail

Don't missThis opportunityTo start a 29'er build at a great price! Proven, reliable, lightweight Reynolds 853 steelTubing isThe highlight here.The benefits of bigger 29'er wheels are well-stated and known atThis point. Dragon has been a legend for years with classic hardtail geometry, and now it's even better withThe leapTo 29" wheels. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

[Apr 22, 2015]
Joelle De Jesus

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight gives the rider extra sturdiness and confidence when going down steep terrain, brakes are amazing and the shocks provide an amazingly soft ride. Steel frame allows more room for mistakes and bang ups without cracking the frame like on a Carbon bike. Steel over carbon any day, more durability.

None.

For the price, I think it's the best bike on the market.

[Apr 18, 2014]
Ken

OVERALL
Strength:

Reynolds steel frame. Good brakes. Simple 2x10 drive. Fork is buttery smooth.

Too much overlap in the 2x10 drivetrain.

I got my Dragon last summer on closeout at ProVelo in Fort Collins. Great Store! The Dragon is a classic steel bike with roll-over-anything 29 inch wheels. Steel is real! Forgiving, reasonably light and responsive. Best material for a MTB hardtail. The Manitou fork does it's job very well. The drivetrain cold be improved with a bigger differential in tooth count between the front chainrings. I am VERY happy to have been able to get my hands on one of these bikes. I consider it a classic.

[Apr 06, 2014]
gil v.

OVERALL
Strength:

best frame ever! great geometry flush riding

avid elixier 3 is not the best breaking system
wheels lite weight but weak

bought them at pedalim isreal, best service very good value for money

marin palasides trail

[Nov 27, 2013]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable smooth ride, quality components, looks awesome

Seat post clamp

I love my Dragon. I just got into mountain biking to extend riding into the cold weather months (road riding in the cold= not fun). I tested a half dozen bikes and the Dragon was by far the best. Shifts are smooth and reliable, breaking with the Shimano hydralic breaks is incredible, but the best is the ride. It is amazing how the 29 inch wheels, rock shock fork, and steel frame absorb the pounding and smooth out the trail. You can stay in the seat more, take less pounding, and have better control. I had rented a Giant rev 29er from another bike shop and the whole time the bike was vibrating under me and the chain was slapping over every bump. I rode 5 other aluminum bikes and none could match the ride. I also tried a steel frame Surly, but it cost more and just wasn't as nice. I got a great deal on a closeout 2013 and have been out in the snow, the dark, and cold but I love it.

[Sep 10, 2013]
frdfandc

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for the frameset only.

The Reynolds 853 steel frame is a very forgiving frame. Decent weight, climbs well, great for those longer rides.

It is a steel frame. Some preliminary care is required for the frame. Nothing a little blast of frame saver won't take care off. Does not have a tapered steerer tube.

Overall, this frame is one of my favorites. I have ridden many of bikes (work in a LBS) and love the feel of steel. Not the lightest by current standards, but those 20+ mile rides do not leave me crippled. My last bike was an aluminum frame and after riding 18-20 miles, I had a difficult time the next day. So anything that will increase my comfort level is a plus in my book.

Love the ride qualities of this frame, and if those are looking for a steel frame 29er, this would be one to look at.

Breezer Lightning Pro, Niner SIR 9, Salsa El Mariachi - demo/test rides

[Jul 17, 2013]
Tony H

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs like a beast
Good Component Set for the most part
Good Shock

On the heavy side

I got mine at Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) for $1000 plus tax and pedals. Since I got it I've probably put around 100 miles on it. My typical ride is 25% road and 75% off.

Much of my opinion is based on my previous bike, which is pretty much all I have to compare it to.

It's my first 29er. Having come from a Giant ATX 890 Race bike from about 1998...the Dragon Sport is quite different. One of the first things I noticed is that the bike fits me better. I'm 6' tall 270-230LBs which is big for a rider so I always felt a little too big for a regular mtn bike. The ride position is good and I rarely get the feeling that I have to lean back because I'm too hunched forward.

Another one of the main differences I noticed with the bike is that it's a little more difficult to negotiate very slow and technical areas, probably due to the bigger wheel. I think the ability to go over bigger obstacles with less trouble is a better trade-off because in my riding I don't often experience those tight technical trails that often.

This is also my first bike with SRAM components. At first I was rather disappointed. The gears clicked during and after shifting, and the experience compared to the previous XT/XTR setup I had was...not as good. This may have been due to whoever setup the bike. Whether it was EMS or Jamis they failed to adjust it properly and tighten everything as it should have been when purchased. As a result...

When I was riding on the road to get to the trail I had my front derailuer loosen up when shifting and get wedged between the chain and sprocket. I was pissed...and had to get a ride home. After fixing that, on my next ride I managed to get the rear derailuer stuck in the spokes and take a trip above the hub. Bent spokes, bend derailler hanger, broken rear derailer. Again pissed and not sure of the reason I decided to take it in to EMS to have them fix both derailers and the squeeky brake. And chalk it up for the first maintenance now that the cables have been stretched.

After their tuneup it still was horrible at shifting so I brought it in again after I figured out the source of the problem. When the front derailler came loose it bent the middle chainring just enough to cause shifting problems. They replaced it.

Now that everything is working as it should and after the first tuneup the bike is running nicely. I've gotten used to the shifting and the bike is finally working as it should have when new. This bike is really nice to ride. I've been able to climb steeper and more slick surfaces than ever before. The geometry of the bike and the tire with its larger contact patch really does make a noticeable difference. The chromoly frame is also quite nice, and not as harsh as my previous AL bike.

I got on my buddys 26" Cannondale and it reminded me of how a bmx bike felt after riding a mountain bike for a while, light and nimble, but also more...twitchy. I quickly wanted back on my bike. It's more sure footed, stable, sized better and...it's mine. :)

In short, I really like the bike, and 29ERs in general for my type of riding. I'll have the bike for years to come. Other than the initial problems I had I don't really have much to complain about. The disk brakes, shock, and overall components meet my expectations for the price I paid for the bike. Other than the clipless pedals I've got on there the bike isn't screaming for any parts to be replaced.

Good bike, get it.

[Sep 13, 2012]
greg swanson

OVERALL
Strength:

frame, geometry

seatpost clamp

shopped for a reynolds dragon 853 19" 29er for 6 months. finally found it on craigslist in dallas. Called the guy and he shipped it up for me - great deal. Bike is fantastic to ride. rolls over everything. corners great for a 29. frame is stiff, light, and fast! I love the supple yet resilient ride of steel bikes. This jamis is everything I wanted. The brakes are super! the shifting is like glass! up and downhill this bike just performs and performs. I would choose this over all the specialized stuff all my friends ride. I don't think any of it compares. buy a dragon, then fix the seat clamp, and you'll be good!

[Feb 07, 2012]
slowrollin99

OVERALL
Strength:

Sexy as hell, Blue STEEL. STRONG. I had someone clip me get their foot stuck between my rim and frame and broke nothing on the bike. The other guy on the trek was not so lucky.
Easily adjustable for multiple riding positions. I am a commuter and enjoy the riding position. You feel as though you are well seated within the bike. Weight falls just infront of the rear wheel.

NONE, I found that putting slicks (Big Apples) on this bike made it a beast in the streets. I only wish that it had frame mounts for a rack.

Best bike for the price. Quality Frame, Strong

[Jul 01, 2011]
Themaiklmanismydad

Bottom Bracket

The bottom bracket died with 450 miles on it. I'm still happy with the rest of the bike, but the BB should not have failed that early. Seemed to get debris in it right from the start.

[Jun 20, 2011]
bikewrench

OVERALL
Strength:

Price

COLOR, narrow chainstays( I am running a narrow 2.1), really don't like the track ends

This frameset is decent for the price. I work @ a shop and we carry Jamis which led me to this purchase. The color was hiddeous. I sanded, painted and repaneled it after three rides. The stays seem really narrow and I am not a big fan of the horizontal drop outs. Gonna ride this til I can order up my Siren John Henry.

Misfit Dissent, Surly Karate Monkey

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.