Haro Mary XC 29er Hardtail

Fork: RockShox Reba SL 29” 80mmw/ Motion Control

[Feb 28, 2011]
bikertime

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast on the gnarly stuff. Handles the rough descents smoothly and the technical climbs aren't as difficult. The frame, bars, and seat post are good and stiff. I have a bolt collar on my seat post and it has never slipped. I bend the derailer hanger about once a week, but it is easy enough to fix. Also, I got a handful that I switch between and they take a minute to change. I love it even after 3 years.

I bent the front stock wheel after about a 1000 miles, but I think that is normal with any stock wheels. Then I got some Easton XC Ones that work well. I also upgraded to an XTR grouppo and dropped a ton of weight. I had problems with the BB5 brakes and the 160 rotors. But with the XTRs all is well. The stock saddle also fell apart after a 1000 miles and so had to upgrade that.

Good value and loads of fun. Just over time upgrade the stock parts and you'll have an awesome bike. For the mud of Korea, I prefer the Egg Beaters.

Mary SS, Haro XCR, Gary Fisher, KHS

[Aug 22, 2010]
melbatoast

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame is very nice. Orange finish is spectacular. Very solid frame.

No rear suspension

Killer bike. Rips downhill, can carve and glide through the singletrack, powers up climbs and can handle regular xc obstacles like creeks, mud, sand and bridges. It's definitely heavier because of the steel frame, but it feels nimble and inspires confident handling. Good bike. Not pro circuit material, but a fun ride that can keep up with just about anything you will see at the local trail.

Mongoose 26er full suspension, Specialized Stumpjumper 29er

[Sep 05, 2009]
mac020

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid! Excellent quality! Good choice of equipment for shifters, cables, brakes, and shocks.

Haven't found any yet.

Great bike for a big guy. I'm 6'5" and 220 pounds and the bike fits me well! The bigger diameter (29" 700mm) wheels seem to roll better than smaller diameter ones. Shifting is smooth and quick.

[Jul 05, 2009]
andrewb75

OVERALL
Strength:

rides like a dream. Great value of components.Durable and snappy cromoly frame. Great bike for climbing steep trails.

Too heavy out of the box.Shimmed seat tube.Have had problems with seatpost slipping.

I have ridden this bike on anything from steep uphill and downhill,to rocky terrain and switchbacks.It handles incredibly good for such a big bike through almost all cross country style riding.I would like to upgrade the hanlebar to a strait bar for increased cornering.

Marin nail trail.

[Oct 20, 2008]
j. r. eaton

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a 29'r REBA Shock

I wrote this this review because I noticed that no one had mentioned the shock the REBA from Rock Shox it only has 80mm of travel but is dual air loaded and has a lockout that is on the top of the shock and can be changed on the fly or you can get a handlebar remote for about $100.00. You can also adjust the motion control and adjust it to release the shock at different levels of trail condition. The 2008 I bought does not have the quick release seat stem and stays where its put.

[Jun 24, 2008]
kel_kelogs

OVERALL
Strength:

I like the handling of this bike so much. I feels like I have a connection with the bike compared to my heavier Dakar XLT 3.0. Nice paint and logo. It's steel so it flexes making the ride less harsher off road.

A bit heavy but it's steel so understandable. The seatpost keeps on sliding during on and off road rides. Some toe overlap since I have the size 16 frame. I wish the frame could accommodate forks more than 80mm. There is also not enough standover height for short riders.

This is my best handling bike, period. It is more fun to ride with a rigid fork and single speed. It just felt weird because it seems that your higher from the ground. I feel that I will be catapulted from the bike during hard braking.

I bought this frame with a rigid fork at e-bay mid last year and finished building the whole bike early last November. This is a great trail bike as well as a commuter since you can just swap the tires depending on the terrain or riding style. This bike is an eye candy everytime I bring this during big events here in Reno. I haven't seen a lot of 29er's so these bikes really gets attention.

I would recommend this bike/frame for those who want to enter the 29er scene especially if your low on budget depending on your build. I just wish Haro would work on the seatpost clamp problem, toe overlap, and lower the standover height.

First 29er. 26ers (Custom Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0)

[Jul 24, 2007]
ryan w

OVERALL
Strength:

29in wheels work and i knew they did. great outfit and good price. steel is very nice ride indeed. great fork and as little shimano as possible. and i love funky greens.

dont like anythin but oury grips (personal thing)
bike came w/damaged hanger in the box (tsk tsk)
rocketV works for no1 i've ever met (get a hint, speedV peopl)
cheap pedals (ebay they go)
ritchey pro post is poor, moves no matter how tight u make it. (pagin mr easton or mr thomson!)
Avid SD V's are better than BB5s, the bike got my old CPSs right away.

Great way to get into a 29 and leave all those FS hassles behind for a nice plush ride that will keep ya out on the trail longer. this of course after u get the bike setup right. the hanger issue was resolved by haro very quickly. I knew the grips, saddle and brakes would never see the bike during assembly as they are parts that many pull off the bike to begin with. as parts, their always on sale for a reason-no 1 wants them. the pedals, eh, some people wanna get started and a spd is 1 choice, but at 1600 reg price, its not a value to include them. let us pick, not have to deal w/an ebay auction or tryin to get a credit from the LHS for em.

the seatpost was a big disappointment, i like ritchey stuff, but that pro post is garbage, it will not hold adjustment and i had to look at it many times to understand why they would have a splined torque shim but not have splines on the post itself, thus it shifts over time in the woods. to pt where u set it and its so comfy (the speedV, not rocketV people) to oh man this sux. it moved again. junk. and its not stayin.

the good parts of this bike outweigh the bad, i do love 29s. and that wont change. the NRS will be sent to a new home as i'll be ridin this often. steel is so comfortable, you cant ignore that people still make it for a reason. yeh new super duper allys come out every yr, but skip the cheeseburger to get more savings (both wallet and trail weight there).

dont buy this if ur lookin to buy a high dollar uber cool ride right outta the box and think u'll be big stink w/ur big wheels...that and ur a weight weenie.

buy this bike if u want somethin less tedious than ur FS, the benefits of 29in wheels, and you have some nice juicy (not the brakes, they suck too) parts in ur bin or on ur old ride to slap on. frameset w/a rigid cool as well.

only 29er was 1st yr supercaliber i got on loan from trek rep.
better comparo is to my FS ride, a Giant NRS-2.
IBIS/Trek/Giant Hardtails amongst others

[May 07, 2007]
JimsterJ

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable frame specs, Sram and Truvativ drivetrain, Rock Shox Reba SL, and very light weight Ritchey stem and seatpost.

Really heavy wheels and tires. If you are a weight freak like me, there are much lighter 29'er bikes out there, so ride the Mary XC before you buy. I wanted a chromoly frame so I bought the bike anyway and it was a good choice for me.

Who needs full suspension for XC when the 29'er wheels roll much faster and with correct low air pressure in the tires, certainly reduces lumps, bumps, and body stress when riding thru rock gardens. I'd like to reduce the weight of the Haro by at least 2 more lbs, which will take a wheel change out that will be costly at best. Current weight is spot on 30 lbs., which is too heavy for epic XC rides. My wife rode my 29'er and now she wants one, but the weight is a problem for her, even in the 16" frame. I'll probably buy a Gary Fisher Paragon 29'er for the love of my life, only because the Paragon weighs 27 lbs. out of the box with pedals and with a few minor changes, I'll probably be able to get the weight down to around 26 or less. I'm still gonna give the Mary XC 5 Flamin' Chilis, even though the Haro bike is heavy, it is still a great ride and more fun than all the other bikes I've previously owned.

None - my first 29'er. Have owned a Santa Cruz Superlight, Gary Fisher Mt. Tam, Supercaliber, and Sugar 2. My current 26'er is a Giant NRS1, which mostly just hangs in the garage since I purchased the 29'er.

[Apr 07, 2008]
Adam

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is great. I love the steel. Haro put some flattened chainstays on the frame. This along with the large volume tires give the bike a very forgiving rear-end. The frame's geometry is very responsive and snappy. I get a bit of toe bite from time to time in the real technical stuff, but overall a great feel to the bike. Very responsive.

Bike is a bit heavy, but I'm willing to sacrifice the extra weight for a flexible and durable steel bike. Wheels are okay, but need upgraded. People keep mentioning the seat-post and how it slips, but I ditched the quick release clamp right off the bat and have never had a problem with it.

This is a great steel bike. It handles the singletrack well, and if you're willing to invest in a lighter/smoother wheelset, the bike will ride like a dream.

GT Peace Niner

[Feb 19, 2008]
swaneedawg

OVERALL
Strength:

Great steel frame, nice rear drop-outs! Plenty of tire clearance! Good toe clearance. Okay components...nice geometry...bike is meant for rollin' Reba fork is more than adequate...nice features, and great performance!

poor grips, pedals, wheelset (WTB Laser Disc Trails SUCK!!!) Lots of flex in Ritchey stem. Ritchey seatpost and handlebar okay...but replaced quickly! Saddle is great, but if you are looking for sofa comfort...change-it quick! Wheelset is in dier need of change. First night ride left them badly beat-up and needing of a truing job.

I love the way the big wheels roll, and roll, and roll, and roll! Makes riding a hardtail the fun it was almost 20 years ago!!! A wheelset is in the future, as are better shifters...nothing bad about the X.7's, just like the crisper shifting X.9's better!

haven't ridden any other 29er's yet!

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.