Giant Talon 29er Hardtail

[Jan 17, 2014]
eugene
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, climbing, geometry

Fork, seat, tires but this should be expected for this price

I got a talon 1 for $300 on craigslist and love this bike. I upgraded for to a Reba fork and got a wtb pure v seat. Also changed to X9 derailleurs and shifters, and a 50mm stem. The bike handles very nicely now and climbing is probably its strongest point. I would suggest this bike to anyone starting with 29ers. Frame is worth upgrading and once upgraded will work even for the more advanced riders.

[Oct 06, 2013]
CJD
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame and the brakes work fantastically (although this is my first real run with Hydraulic brakes). I'm 195cm (6'4") and about 90kg (almost 200lb) and I ride an XL frame and it is the most comfortable I have been on a bike. Great for single trail and holds it's own for a few downhill blasts, but i pike out on the bigger jumps and take the bypass tracks.

The forks (Suntour SR something or others) are a bit rubbish. The adjustment for the pre-load seems cosmetic and the pogo effect across rough surfaces is almost worse that running rigid forks. Looking to upgrade to some Rock Shox, and soon.
Also had a creak in the bottom bracket after only about 100kms or so, but a quick re-grease and tighten fixed that and it has not returned.

- Great Bang for your Buck
- Budget a few hundred dollars to upgrade the shocks.
- Great spread of frame size.
- Very capable out of the box.

[Oct 03, 2013]
Dynaman

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, brakes

For $900 none

Being a MTB rider since 1981 I struggle with the price of a high end bike today. Given that the Talon is a good buy. I replace t

[Aug 20, 2013]
TwodoorMonarch

OVERALL
Strength:

Good frame, looks good if you can get past the word "giant" appearing in at least 50 places on this bike, good brakes, good shifting

Suntour fork is rubbish. Bottom bracket creaks on each downstroke, but Giant reckon it was simply loose. They adjusted it but the noise is still there. They wont replace it as its a shimano part (UN26). This after only 6000 km of road use only, very little of it in the wet. Seat tube kept slipping, and now the cheap clamp lever has snapped.

I live in a hilly area of Adelaide South Australia, and use mountain bikes as commuter transport, virtually all on sealed road of varying quality, using 35 mm semi slick tyres. I choose this set up instead of a conventional road bike because I have back problems, and prefer the upright position, good spread of ratios, shock absorbing capacity of the front forks, and disc brakes are fantastic on downhills esecially if there is any rain about. My last two bikes were set up the same way. Neither developed bottom bracket problems, and both had far superior Rock Shox forks. Seat posts on both never slipped or broke clamps. I am therefore dissapointed with my 2012 Giant Talon in that these issues came up with less than 6000 km of constant but fairly gentle use. In my view, there are better deals around for the price especially if you dont really care if you ride a 26 or 29 inch, fitted with superior forks. Equipment levels are otherwise pretty good on the Giant, but overall, dont get sucked in by its good looks.

[Aug 19, 2013]
ryan

Strength:

sucks,broke third jump on it, it sucks hate it snaped the frame f***ing piece of s***, dont buy unless your really that stupid

[Aug 15, 2013]
Charlie

OVERALL
Strength:

brakes, tires, frame, shifters, looks etc etc. I can't say enough good about this bike.

The pedals suck I would encourage anyone with stock to replace those ASAP.

Where to start...I got this bike used on Craigslist for $650 on 7/15/13 and it was the 2012 model. I have been blown away by every aspect of this bike. The brakes are very strong with plenty of stopping power. The tire ares like nothing I have ever rode before and will literally travel over anything on the trail which is great for beginner like me. The price...you can't beat it period. I think this bike is literally the best value for the money that you can get considering all of the components that are included. Get this bike you will not be disappointed. I am overall thouroughly impressed with this bike.

[Jul 02, 2013]
Indiana Anderson

OVERALL
Strength:

Giant makes a durable, lightweight, mountain bike with pretty nice frame components for a $1000 or under mountain bike. If you areready to do some real mountain biking but not ready to spend a small fortune on a bike, then the Giant Talon is the perfect machine

Front fork isn't great, however I have had to replace stock forks on most of the mountain bikes I have owned in the last 30 years. other than the fork though this bike is a great value for it's price range.

Nice set of wheels. Always get positive reviews when out riding.Shift system is very efficient and works great. This bike is an awsome bike for intermediate riders, offering good control. If inclined to do so, a cyclist who is ready to move up to experienced could easily turn this bike into something more advanced than intermediate.

[May 26, 2013]
ari

OVERALL
Strength:

this is a solid bike for riders of all skill level. comfortable geometry that allows hours of riding. brakes and drivetrain are very nice along with the fork

the seat is not the most comfortable seat ive ever ridden. also i believe that there are too many gears. i rarely use more than nine of them and the extra gears just mean there is more to break.

overall this is a wonderful bike. i would recommend the bike to anyone who enjoys riding cross country. this bike allows me to commute to the trails, and then ride for hours once i get there. i would change out the seat before taking longer rides but for now it is fine. this bike is great for the price and i would recommend it to riders of all skill levels

[May 08, 2013]
Hans

OVERALL
Strength:

Very solid and responsive Aluminum Frame. Saddle is comfortable. Geometry is spot on. The disk brakes will stop on a dime wet or dry. SRAM shifters and SRAM X5 rear derailleur shifts firm and fast. Rolls well, very fast on dirt/street. Maneuvers very well, very stable. The Kenda small block V8 tires perform very well.

Front derailleur is a Shimano Altus , a slow spongy derailleur and it the only reason why I did not score the overall rating at a 5 Flamin Chilis

I retired my 1995 Trek 850 with hard nose and hard tail and bought a 2012 left over Talon 29er-1 at a great price ! I abolutely love this bike, been riding it on street and tow path. Bike performs very well, love it. The fork is fine for the type of riding I am currently doing. I am 5'10" and weigh 200 lbs and did some mild air off a street curb and the fork did not come close to bottom out. 100 mm of travel goes a long way. The Talon is a great value and a great bike. I will take it back to the dealer and have the Altus derailleur replaced with a SRAM. I prefer the SRAM, they seem to work better? This bike is very comfortable and easy to ride ...

[Apr 19, 2013]
TNT

OVERALL
Strength:

its light weight
front fork (overall good for an entry level bike)

pedals WILL have to be replaced
other than that GREAT value

I have ridden this bike now for several weeks (a step up from my 2008 Gary Fisher-Trek) and let me tell you its a night and day difference from my old bike. I was one that was not completley sold on 29er's but this bike change my opinion almost immedeatly...

OVERALL: Great bike for the money.....

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.