Gary Fisher Cobia 29er Hardtail

• Frame: Platinum Series 6066 butted & hydroformed aluminum, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry
  • Wheels: Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager Ranger Disc 29 rims, Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Componentry: SRAM X.5 front derailleur, SRAM X.5 rear derailleur, SRAM X.5 shifters, Shimano FC-M442 crank, Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes
  • Suspension: RockShox Tora SL 29, 80mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown

[Jun 20, 2015]
George0208

OVERALL
Strength:

It has it all,22 in frame with 29ers? I bought this bike in 2007 at the Bike Factory in Honolulu for around 1200$ with a few extras like padded seat, book carrier and registration. The only thing I have had replaced is the tires and tubes thru normal wear and tear. have around 3600 miles on it(oh yeah the batteries had to be changed out of the speed, distance tracker) since 2007. Minor adjustments here and there like I think I had to change the front brake pad, but quite the solid, legit ride nearly maintenance free bike. Also changed the front handlebar stem to one that extends higher for a more balanced ride ( with IronMan Triathlon aero bars for speed on the roads, downhill I take them off.). Will not own anything else.

If the bike has any weaknesses its prob. too big for me, but I feel very comfortable riding it. And the size of the frame I ride on plus the 29ers, makes for a long fall when I bust my ass on it.

I would recommend this bike for anyone. Incredible quality went into the design for it to last this log,no rust whatsoever. Best hard tail for the price .

[Dec 17, 2012]
Ramon Jimenez

OVERALL
Strength:

My first 29er and probably my last. I still have my 2003 Jamis Dakar Comp and I'd have to say that I really don't miss the soft tail after buying this beauty. I love the speed and roll going downhill and the pedalling is easy. Best bang for the buck since I got it for about 1500 Singapore dollars which is about the same retail price in US. I took it to Italy with me where I ride in the mountains and wheras the clearance on the pedals are considerably higher than most, the trails I take have some pretty big rocks and I knocked the heck out of the cranks. Might have to replace those soon because I have not been able to shift properly since. Wheels are beefy and quite comfortable. Considering the price, the bike is truly a steal. It's just so much fun to ride, and the clincher really is the value you get. Bang it up? you don't feel bad. Scratch is up? Still ok. It's one to take a beating. It's the vehicular equivalent of a Toyota Tercel with the parts of a Subaru Impreza. It's got gumption where it counts.

Hate the derailleurs. Taking the rear wheel off sucks. The seat will not do wonders for your hemorrhoids so change it immediately or buy padded French tights. There is something wrong with the way the rear wheel locks into place because if you take a sharp turn, no matter how tight you get the rear, my wheel will make a strange sound as if it were hitting the frame (never really isolated this problem since you can't really look at the rear when you're taking a sharp turn.) I might take the advise of some of the posts here and upgrade to Shimano XTRs (for both brakes and derailleurs). Ok now, the brakes. THEY SUCK. They really suck. I've had to replace the front discs because I banged them on a rock ever so slightly and they came right out of alignment and never could get it right so I replaced the front with some other nameless brand and it works fine. Heaven forbid you ever find yourself going downhill at about 95kmh and a garbage truck or some other immovable behemoth of an object gets in front of you because those brakes don't hold for nothing. XTR's will replace them.

Despite the weaknesses, I give it 4 stars because everything else is awesome. Like I said, it probably will be my last bike because I am so happy with it. With the upgrades it will get you up to about 2000USD as I am still eyeing a set of Mavic Crossrides for my street application with 20 tires to keep it easy to handle. I love this bike with all it's shortcomings because I cannot in good economic conscience buy a more expensive one and get the same components and performance that this little princess provides. 4 stars baby.

[Sep 04, 2012]
Stumpy12

OVERALL
Strength:

Agility: Bike is very easy to handle for me. Height 5'll" bike size 18.5. Weight: I feel the bike is fairly light for its price point. Crank Set height: The crankset on this bike is fairly high which was awesome to me because it was rare to ever hit anything with the pedals and had great clearance going over logs and rocks.

Breaks: The breaks to me were not very good at stopping me. Really had to squeeze the handle to lock up the rear. Chain/shifting issues: Constantly had issues with chain coming off, chain suck, slipping, not shifting correctly. Took it to LBS so many times I lost count to no avail.

While I liked the bike overall I feel there were some serious issues with the cassette,crank, derailleurs. I loved to ride it and hated to ride it at the same time. I ended up upgrading to all 2x10 x7 components which fixed my all my problems, but was probably not the best financial choice and would have traded up bikes if I had to do it all over again. My son has the same bike and is having the same issues I have had. Now that I have upgraded it, it is an awesome bike to ride. It handles great, stops well, and is now enjoyable. I am not sure how widespread this problem is, but have read some other reviews from people suffering the same problems. My Cobia is a 2010 model. Hopefully this issue has been rectified with newer models.

Would I recommend this bike? Probably not. I would hold out for the Ex-Caliber.

[Jul 30, 2012]
cannondalecamper

OVERALL
Strength:

-incredible climber
-nimble handling thanks to g2 geo
-great front shock

-weird clicking/popping noise from rear hub
-x5 a little unreliable

I love the bike. The technical climbs i used to have problems with are so much easier thanks to the bigger hoops. Just lean forward and pedal like hell and I guarantee you can get up any climb. They definately help with just cruising through roots and such. The front fork is a huge ipgrade over what i previuosly had and really helps to smooth out the trail. As for the bad parts, rear hub may need some work but the x5 rear deraileur can be a pain. Hasn't shifted right ever since a stick got jammed in it. Guess thats not its fault though. In summary, I love the bike. Its definately taken my riding to the next level.

[May 09, 2012]
EnduroT

OVERALL
Strength:

Very solid 29er bike, and great to start out with coming from a 26" A nice budget component group and everything has really held up to all my initial abuse.

The stock seat is ok, but nothing to write home about. The bike is a bit heavier then you might like, but with time and some money it can be very respectable.

Why are you still reading? Go buy one today...

[Jan 02, 2012]
pitbull30

OVERALL
Strength:

This is for the 2012 model. Everything is good except the weaknesses I will list below. I rode the Specialized Hardrock, Giant Talon 1 first. Then I rode the Trek Mamba and Cobia. Although they are not the same price range I found that everyone I talked to said to go for the Cobia due to the fact it had better components and a Rock Shox Recon Air Adjustable Fork. All the others came with SR Suntour forks. Non-Adjustable. This was the same for Specialized Rockhopper.

Seat Evoke 1 - Hard in my opinion
Pedals- Wellgo (not sure of model They are a stock model with the reflectors)

Im giving it a 4/4. Why? For the price paid I think they would do better slapping on some under 40 buck platform or similar pedals instead of the stocks. How about Wellgo MG1 which is one of the top reviewed pedals here on MTBR?

GT, Mongoose (the real mongoose), Redline

[Jul 20, 2011]
Cognoggin

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolling over things, large and small, and climbing.

Heavy, cornering.

Used for cross-country, commuting and racing. Average height and 165 lbs.
My first 29er and still not happy with the poorer cornering due to the long GF wheelbase. Otherwise I'm a convert to the big wheels. Faster rolling than previous bikes and I can coast past others while they're still peddling. Downhill speed is great. Almost don't wish for full suspension as those big, fat wheels take some of the mickey out of the roots and rock.Climbs anything you aim at.

First 29er; Kona Lava Dome and Fire Mountain (26ers)

[Jun 22, 2011]
hoser.holmes

OVERALL
Strength:

Great cornering, handeling

Fork, Crankset,

After the modifications, this bike climbs like no other, and gets down really fast. I never pass over obstacles like this 29er. Easy handling in technical rocky-sandy trails... Amazing cornering.

Cannondale F4

[Jun 17, 2011]
29erforlife

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Frame, G2 Geometry, light for a 29er, color looks better in person, built Strong!

I think the bike would be nice with thinker tire.

I would like to preface that the last bike I bought I listen to, too many people. It was a good bike but did not suits my needs or the trails. This time around I wanted to know exactly what I getting. I also, plan to have this bike for a while. The trek dealer got me hooked on a $1600 x_caliber, that was before I rode the Cobia. I went to specialized dealer to see if the trek and specialized could compare. I got to the dealer around 6 and closed at 7. Lucky for me, I know the salesperson so we hung out and rode the $1600 and the Cobia.
I stayed at the dealership till 8:15 or so. It was a good I really enjoy the new bike. At the end of the day I know I went with the right bike for me.
FYI I could have afforded the Xcal or Cobia. It was the bike and not price .

There are good 29er out there, there are some great 29er but they ONLY person that it matters to is the rider. Cannonade 29er, Trek X Cal, Rockhopper Comp 29er, Giant Talon 2($700) and 1($1000). Felt 29er($2150) This is an investment, I could have bought the X cal but like the ride on the Cobia better. It is all about preference.

[Jun 09, 2011]
mstevens02

OVERALL
Strength:

Great component upgrades over last year's model (hydraulic discs, air shock, Sram X7).

Very low quality brakes. Promax hydraulic brake system with Tektro rotors. The rear brake began squeaking loudly on the 4th mountain ride. Sounds like metal on metal. The entire frame shudders and vibrates when applying the brake. Took the bike in to local Trek dealer. Was told that they have done 15-20 warranty returns on the brakes in the last 4 months and that the manufacturer has stopped accepting warranty cases on the rotor. Evidently a very common problem. Bought a new rotor for the bike, solved the problem.

Good entry 29er hardtail, but with poor brakes.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.