FOCUS Bikes Red Skin 3.0 29er Hardtail

• Stem: Concept SL, Ahead, Hydro, wht

[Dec 22, 2013]
Michael Puga

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth predictable ride. Nice handling. Powdercoat finish is tough and durable. Good parts selection for the price. Well-designed bike. German quality.

Slightly heavy. Low-end brakes but they work well.

I've been a die-hard 26 inch mountain bike fan for a very long time and considered 29ers a fad. Something the bike company invented to sell bikes. This Focus 29er has changed my mind! There really is a much smoother ride quality with this bike. I had major shoulder surgery when I was 17(metal plates) and stiff bikes tend to cause me pain. I have enjoyed this bike from the moment I threw a leg over it. It takes a little more effort to get it moving than a 26er but once up to speed it rolls very nicely. Rough terrain seems much more handleable and enjoyable. I'm 5'11" and decided on the small size as it gives me more standover height and just felt "right". I replaced the original seatpost with a 400mm and I couldn't be happier. The frame is top-quality. It's dialed perfectly for the 29 wheels and the powdercoat finish is very durable and highly scratch resistant. The parts selection are good for this price range and as they wear out they can be replaced with higher end parts. This frame is so good that it deserves an upgrade especially the cranks and brakes. Stock this bike is geared perfectly for most every type of riding including serious climbing and off-roading. The hydraulic brakes although low-end and slightly heavy work well bring the Focus down from high speeds quickly and controllably. Overall for the money spent I feel very happy with this Focus and although it is the low-end model it has convinced me that it was one of the best bicycles I own and I have an incredible bicycle collection including a Litespeed Titanium with high-end custom components. This Focus puts as large a smile on my face as my other high-end bikes in my collection. Money very well spent!

[Jul 30, 2011]
michael7383

OVERALL
Strength:

comes with fast rolling continental race kings, remot lockout on the tora tk's comes in handy often.

wheels can't hand the torque from the 185 mm front disc, comes with hydraulic brakes that make a lot of noise when wet.

It's a good price for what it is, an entry level 29er. The original crankset didn't last 4 months. However, the bike is being raced in local races 2 to 3 times a month. The powder coat paing job looks dull and dirty, but is easy to clean and scratches don't seem like such a big deal. With a few tweaks I have been competitive with bikes a lot lighter, maybe its a better bike to get around town, but it take a beating and keeps rolling fast