Felt Nine 1 29er Hardtail

Steamroll rocks, carve turns, and fly up climbs faster than you ever thought possible with the incredible ride quality of the Felt Nine 1. Engineered with an all new premium-grade UHC Performance carbon fiber, the 2013 Nine 1 is pure performance. It blends the speed and stability of larger 29-inch-wheels with the quick handling of a lightweight XC hardtail. A 100mm Fox 32 Float fork, race-ready Shimano XT components—including a 2x10 crankset—and WTB Stryker TCS 29 wheels round out this dream setup.

[Sep 30, 2014]
Chris Taylor

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing, easy cornering, nimble, grippy

Seems a little heavy for the build that comes with it.

I was able to demo this bike for 2 days because I am planning on buying one in the near future. Good bike great for climbing steep loose trails. It handles all the rocky non XC stuff just fine. Felt really nimble for being a XL 29er. I am 6'6 and the XL seemed just a tad small sometimes I would hit my knee cap on the top of the fork when really standing up and cranking. I really liked the ability to lock out you fork when climbing with the lever on your handle bar.

[Jun 19, 2014]

OVERALL
Strength:

Out of the box, the Nine 60 is an easy bike to absorb a multitude of terrain on. With the 100mm of travel front shock, 42/32/22 chainwheel, and 60TPI WTB Nano Race tire, even the most novice of riders like me can be an off-road hero. I purchased this bike as an upgrade from my 12 year old GT. What a massive difference 12 years in technology can make. The Felt handles extremely well on all surfaces and made the transition to a 29er very easy. Being 6’5” and about 238lbs. on this bike I can still hang with lighter riders on much more expensive and lighter bikes and I am on. I have punished this bike like a teenager driving a Porsche and all the Felt asks is “huh…is that all you got?” So far so good – nothing damaged except a small paint chip on the chain stay. Even with that, Felt was kind enough to provide touch up paint so I can repair the bike after it gets flogged in the woods. For a beginner, you could not ask for much more for a bike in this price range.

Some of the component messiahs will scoff at the Felt’s lower-line elements. The Suntour XCR crankset and no-name brand bottom bracket is about as basic as you can get for a decent level of thrashing. There is an XC30 RockShox 100mm travel shock, but it’s not the uber expensive air version. The derailleur is a decent Shimano Deore Shadow 9-speed that so far has yet to miss a beat but is a bit more sloppy that others I have used. The bike is not light. I have not weighed it but just from a seat of the pants feel, it’s significant. I don’t see this as a fault, others will.

You are not buying a $1000 mountain bike because it’s the best out there. You are buying a $1000 mountain bike because you want something that is not a WalMart P.O.S. that will end up being sold at a garage sale. The Felt Nine 60 is an ideal bike for those who want to explore off-road riding and do it on a bike that has enough guts to man up when you need it to and not leave you walking home.

[Jan 15, 2014]
InWyo

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid Foundation. With a few choice up-grades, this turns into a rocket.
The handling is intuitive and balanced. It climbs like a goat without having to contort your body or shift your weight too much, and the bike instills confidence while descending. There's just enough flex in the stays to take the edge off the rough stuff and the front end is obscenely over-sized and stiff which instills confidence in the twisty stuff. Also, Threaded BB! No squeaks whatsoever!

Get if: You are a fitness/competitive oriented mountain biker that are looking for a value package that is race-worthy from day one. (again, a few choice up-grades and you quickly are in pro-territory)

Avoid If: You are a thrill seeking type mountain biker that shuttles up the hill, and don't need the pedals all day.

As sold, the wheels are durable and serviceable, but quite heavy.
The recon fork gets the job done, but is quite heavy.

I bought this as a foundation. I swapped out the drive train for XX1, the fork for a Reba RL, and the Wheels for a set of Black Flag Pro SLs set up tubeless with conti race kings at the moment, and I went from the high 27 pound neighborhood to the mid 22 pound neighborhood (with improved performance no less). For similar set ups from different manufactures (Giant, Niner, Specialized), I have friends that spend nearly twice as much as I did, and they all like my rig more (and this rig can still loose a lot of weight over the next couple years by swapping out the bars and post for carbon bits and upgrading the breaks). This is an aggressive X-C rig. The top tube is a bit longer than it's competitors, and the bottom bracket is a bit lower. I do occasionally get some peddle stroke strikes, but the lower BB is an overall a plus. It just feels so stable. I get all the positive climbing characteristics I could want, but the descents have become much less scary (and a whole lot faster).

Giant XTC Composite
Giant Trance
Specialized Epic
Niner Air Nine

[Nov 12, 2013]
wolverine.NC

OVERALL
Strength:

Great geometry, comfortable, "shark skin finish"

little heavy, takes work to flick around turns and the fork is not optimal

Been riding this bike for about 2 years now and am very happy with the purchase. The geometry is outstanding which makes for a great climber and its a very comfortable ride especially for being a hardtail. I have rode many bikes (epic29, scott scale, niner jet 9) and although each has their strength I still believe this bike to be very capable. This bike has been on every kind of terrain from east coast, rocky single track to epic trails like the east coast slick rock trail and never once have I felt this bike was hindering my skills in any way. Any one looking for a sleek and fun hardtail with plenty of upgrade potential should certainly have a look

[Nov 06, 2013]
stricklander

OVERALL
Strength:

Great spec for a really good price. Geometry is spot on! Super small bump compliance.

The use felt's proprietary bars, stem, seatpost. Not that this is a bad thing but they don't use name brands. Not a huge deal.

I bought the 2014 felt nine 1. Comes with mostly XT components (wheels, crank, brakes, front derailleur) and has XTR rear derailleur.

Overall it is an awesome bike with great spec. Very fast and the geometry is very comfortable and compliant while still being very very fast. This is an awesome bike that they sold out of last year. I know this company is mostly known for their road bikes, but this is and INCREDIBLE mountain bike!

[Jul 17, 2013]
Frank

OVERALL
Strength:

Nimble bike. Responsive. Confidence inspiring for newer riders. Strong brakes. Decent derailleurs and shifters which aren't junk for the price point.

derailleurs not great but better than entry level. a little heavy for younger riders.

Got these for the kids so it's their first 29ers. I was a little hesitant putting them on these but they adapted practically overnight. Younger hands learning to shift daily, it was important for me to have them on decent gear that could be upgraded later. The Shimano Altus gear has been better than expected. Huge update from the Tourneys which to be were junk. Bike inspires a lot of confidence, especially in less experienced hands. A little heavy for smaller riders but not much. Suspension worked well and having put the bike out on some good ups and down mixed with rocks and roots, the bike has shown us it is a capable ride. Check this one out!

[Apr 19, 2013]
centralcalcoast

OVERALL
Strength:

handles great, picks up speed fast

chain kept skipping ,tossed it and upgraded, tires arent the best for climbing but are good stock tires and it is a bit heavy but with upgrades you might be able to shed a pound , but hey its a better work out ! lol.

overall a great bike for the money with above weaknesses mention they are easy fixes, upgrades are the norm for any bike anyway, I will be replacing the pedals with new crank bros 5050 3 platform pedals and work my way around the bike in time .

[Mar 01, 2013]
Kris

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick and entertaining handling, stiff frame, good looks, well rounded package, neat detailing.

Very minor points - XC28 fork is slightly flexy, lack of seat post quick-release.

Firstly the size and 26-vs-29: I'm tall at 6'6 and this was my first 29:er. In 21,5" (XL) it's a pretty big bike and then comes the setback post and long stem. It feels incredibly right though and I'm absolutely never going back to 26".

For me this was an upgrade from the Nine Trail and the Rock Shox XC28 fork makes a big positive difference compared to the Suntour XCM/XCT etc. It basically turns the bike into a proper mtb. The Tektro hydraulic brakes are very good too.

Cant's say much more than that this is a worthy winner of the previously mentioned group test, the bike as a whole works well and should be a good base for upgrades.

Nine Trail

[Nov 13, 2012]
dfwraptor

OVERALL
Strength:

handling is very well, comfortable, fun to ride!

it is a bit heavy, forks are not that great but they do the job

very good starter bike! i ride it 3 times a week on the roughest trails i can find and has never let me down! very satisfied with my purchase!

[Aug 27, 2012]
Ebig

OVERALL
Strength:

Weighs 22ish lbs (without pedals). It amazes me everytime I ride just how fast this thing rolls. Besides that it is super comfortable, I honestly enjoy riding much more now (I upgraded from a GT Avalanche that I beat up for 8ish years). Also the XO components are fantastic! My first 29er, this climbs like a machine.

I have had to re-learn how to ride because I am going so much faster!
I'm not sure if I had to adjust to the 29er or adjust to the fact that that this is a completely different bike, but I definately earned some good wounds from some good quality crashs.

Overall, this seems to be a great mountain bike. I went from trail riding 3 days a week, to riding almost everyday. Btw, this review is for a 2011, purchased in new in July of 2012.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.