Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy 29er Hardtail

Ever had one of the those bikes that you just have to yell and scream with joy when you rode it? Say hello to the Yelli Screamy. With the shortest chainstays and the slackest headangle of any production frame 29er on the market, the Yelli Screamy makes for one heck of a time on two wheels as it’s the first 29er that handles like a nimble little 26" frame.

Frame:

• 7005 Aluminum
  • 135×10 QR dropouts
  • Direct mount front derailleur mount
  • 16.7 chainstays
  • Headtube – Tapered – 44mm upper/49.6mm (1.5?) lower

[Jul 07, 2019]
marc / fisherbike

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike, I ride it now for more than 8 years. I run it 2 x 10 with a 140 fork and love it. It climbs great and corners easy, from xc rides in the Ardens, to all day trips in the Swiss alps, to the bike park, the Yelli will clear all.

Only 1 issue I have with the bike is popping the rearwheel back in, this is always a struggle. But Canfield has sloved this with the mark2. My Yelli took some beating over the years and I'm going to replace it by a new mark2 Yelli Screamy. The Yelli and me will be friends forever !!!

Price Paid:
2011
[Aug 23, 2015]
michaeld

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty good at wheelies

Harsh. Rear wheel requires attention when climbing.

I should start by saying, the yelli screamy isn't a "bad" bike. It's just not for me.

The bullet points of complaints would be:

1) The ride is surprisingly harsh
2) The drivetrain is restrictive
3) The rear drop outs don't allow for easy wheel swaps
4) I really do need a 19" seat tube, not 18.
5) I just couldn't drive the thing, that is, it took my power poorly.
6) in order to clean it up, I would have to spend $2500. At that point, it's better to get a 150mm travel full suspension.
7) the rear wheel had a tendency to spin out in climbs.

To expand on 1): when it comes to aluminum hard tails, This is the 4th that I've owned. Comparing frames, I've noticed as you stiffen the handling, the ride becomes, well, harsh. The stiffest was a cannondale caffeine. It was light, and it handled with precision. But when you got it up to speed it banged into everything and you felt it. The softest is my current hard tail, a 2011 rockhopper sl. It has the m4 aluminum, and there really is something to that. The handling is more noodley, but the up side is, it almost rides like a steel frame.

2) According to Sean at canfield brothers, the largest double crank set you can use would be a 34/24. So could I get a reasonable high and low end gear set if I bought (2) new cassettes? Yes. I have two wheel sets, one for mtn one for street. That's what I want from my hard tail. Anyway, I could switch to a 1x11 frankly. That would probably be the best configuration, and you could make it good. However, that's more money, and at some point, I'd just rather have a FS.

3) I care about swapping my wheels quickly, because I split my hard tail time with actual mountain biking, and just dicking around jumping things in my apt complex. So I have street tires so I don't wear out my knobbies. This frame really holds on to that rear axel, to the point of bothering me.

4). I have really long legs. I'm 5'11", but My inseam is between 33-34". There is one single dropper post with enough exposed seat tube that could accommodate both an 18" frame and my long legs. And it costs about 250-300$. Rock shock reverb. Again, a fine product, but I have a dropper post, and this is just one more thing I'd have to sell and take a loss on. I tried riding the bike with the post just a little lower than usual, with a little more exposed than is recommended, but it wasn't enough. I think this is why I just couldn't put power into it. It didnt fit me.

5) see 4

6) this is the final point, and why I decided to abandon the project. My mojo HD does -everything- way way better. It climbs faster, it descends faster, it wheelies easier, it cruises flats faster. If I actually want to mountain bike, that's what I'll ride. If I feel like going to a dedicated flow or pump track that's been groomed and well kept, then I'll take a hard tail. But this bike is far from a quiver killer. If you add up the cost of this build and it gets over 1500, I would strongly recommend holding out for a used full suspension rig. $2500 bought my hd and it is way better.

7) that was a manageable problem, but just another thing I noticed. Consequence of the short chain stays.

Mojo hd. Rockhopper 29.

[Sep 08, 2014]
montana_ben

OVERALL
Strength:

Fun bike to ride, great out of the saddle climbing, easy to pop front wheel over rocks and roots even standing and mashing, goes very well pointed downhill and carves corners with authority.

Some weird frame design quirks that carry on from year to year with no sign of being tweaked. Mine is from sept. 2014 and has the same issues you can find folks mildly griping about in thread postings from 2012. A bit heavy maybe but not bad.

I like the bike--really I do, it's just a bit frustrating that what could be a great frame and a fantastic value is just a good frame and an ok value. Chainstays: I pulled out the tape to just measure my 2010 stumpy ht 29 and relish the difference, but the Yelli stays are only a bit shorter, actually measuring out on my medium frame at 430 instead of the 424 claimed. Chainring clearance: trying to run a wolftooth 32t direct mount on a sram crank and bb will not work, period. I tried mine and a no go. Apparently a 30t will. I am using a 30t but it is the bb30 version, meaning it is not dished to give a better chain line. Works ok and tons of clearance but pretty severe cross chaining when on the big cog. Water bottle mounts: still way up high on the downtube, standard sized bottle won't fit. Was told that it has to do with bottle and crank interference, and order a custom cage. Huh? Sorry but nice to go for a ride longer than an hour and not have to strap on the camelback. Little things, but they add up to a feeling that the frame is a low priority for Canfield Bro's. Can not fault how it rides at all--I wanted a daily driver that I could use existing parts on, would be a heavier duty, more play oriented hardtail than my stumpy, yet still climb well and build up fairly light. Check. And thank you for the threaded bb. With just a few tweaks and a bit of refinement it would be five chilis all around.

Kona unit ss, specialized stumpjumper 29ht, specialized epic, salsa mukluk

[Aug 11, 2014]
juanfran

OVERALL
Strength:

Bike that does it all, short chainstays, slack head angle

In very steep climbs the front wheel tends to leave the ground

I' ve been ridding this bike for a year. I am very happy with the performance, it's a bike that does it all. It climbs well, it goes downhill excelent! The setup is slx/xt 3x10, no problem fitting them into the bike. Slx breaks 180 front and 160 rear, and Fox ctd 100mm suspension. I recently put on a rever dropper post. The bike is great, it corners very well, it' nimble and fast, technical downhill no problem. Tecnhical uphill very good, it's very easy to lift the front wheel (some times this causes problems in very steep uphill). Bike park and all mountain no problem... very impressive frame!

This bike encourages aggresive ridding, stand up pedalling. I would recomend this bike for someone who rides agressively and specially technical trails. For light xc, maybe you can get something more "confortable". Awesome bike, no problems at all...

[Mar 17, 2014]
Ethdir

OVERALL
Strength:

>Geometry: short chainstays make this bike a blast to ride.
>Customer Service: small company = great service. The frame came chased and faced with zip ties and an extra derailleur hanger which are always a added bonus.
>Beautiful Colors

>Clearance between frame and chainrings: can cause some trouble for people but is doable. The good customer service will help if you get into a bind.

Love riding this bike both up and down hills. I have it set up with a 1x10 and have no problems. The geometry is a blast to ride once you get the hang of it. It took me some getting use to the the shorter chainstays as I came from a bike with long stays. But after that I have loved it. Only major thing to look out for is mounting the crank.

[Feb 09, 2014]
cjsb

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry, Frame burly and quality, Confidence inspiring--a stoke machine! When you are riding more on the front end this bike feels more natural. It wants you to hit everything. Frame is extremely burly stout. It is soo much fun to ride.

For a frame only it is affordable, but since it is not offered as a compkete build I didn't give it 5 stars on value. It's more expensive building up from the ground, but the lower cost frame helps keep it from getting crazy. The middle chain ring clearance is tight, 34t is iffy, 36t is probably a no-go without modifications, etc...Just ride a standard triple or a 1x10, or32t in the middle. Water bottle bossose on the down tub are too close to the top tube, so you can't fit a large water bottle. The slot in the top of the seat tube faces the rear which encourages crud to enter and post slippage. There's a ton of exposed seatpost, consider a dropper.

I have ridden mine since October 2012, and the Ride Quality of my review is nothing short of superlative, it wants to get up and down and have fun, it rips corners, they totally nailed the geo and frame burliness! I have a list of weaknesses above but that's what you want to see the most for reviews and mine are all minor--just telling it like it is--and none of those weakneses would make me reconsider this bike, they are just nits. If you prefer a single chain ring that's bigger than 32t then the weaknesses could eleveate more for you, there are many forum posts showing how to do it but it's more work and clearly not everything wil work.

Regarding cost, if you prefer building it up with components of your choice then my comments don't apply, except that the lower cost of this frame really helps you out budget wise in that case.

None, bought it based on how I want to ride and studying the geo, and reviews.

[Nov 23, 2013]
Jonesy22

OVERALL
Strength:

Fun and reliable

Went from a Trek Fuel EX 9 to a Yelli Screamy and was in love with it on my first ride. I am running a 1x10 and XT setup. Took me a while to get a dropper for it and when I did I am wondered why I didn't sooner lol

Amazing frame and so much fun to ride.

[Aug 12, 2013]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity. Stability. The geometry that everybody else is copying. Small company customer service.

Paint chips kind of easily...but that may be due to how and where I ride. Just slap on some helicopter tape under the down tube and on the outside of the seat stays and keep it from happening in the first place.

The Yelli Screamy is an affordable, fun, capable bike with geometry made to tackle technical singletrack, log rides, boulders, etc. It replaced a steeply angled titanium hardtail that was just too twitchy for the riding I was finding that I preferred. I assumed climbing would suffer, but that has not turned out to be the case. Wider bars may be helping, but the Yelli climbs very well, which probably has a lot to do with its big wheel, low bottom bracket stability. In technical climbs, you can stand up and mash on the pedals through the rough stuff and it just keeps going as long as you have the energy.

To give you an idea what kind of riding I prefer, my other bike is a Mojo HD. The Mojo still comes out when I hit the really rocky stuff where any hardtail would feel like you're getting pounded a couple of inches shorter, but it turns out that lots of rides around here are well suited to a 29er hardtail with slacker angles and short chainstays.

This frame costs a quarter what the Mojo HD cost, and they're both great bikes. Highly recommended.

The Yelli pre-dates all the other slack 29er hardtails...

[Feb 18, 2013]
fastfish666

OVERALL
Strength:

vry versatile, great handling 29er hartail _- If I could only have one bike this would be it -- Occasionally my more XC racy Salsa comes out or my singlespeed if its very muddy, but this bike will pretty much do anything -- a scream to ride!

on the mk1 frames, the down-tube bottle mount is too far up (IMHO) so its a tight fit with just a small bottle (no way, without a specially adapted bottle cage to get a big bottle in there. Seat-tube bottle mounts prevent dropping the post all the way -- I dont find it a real issue as even in the bike park I find I can get my 410mm seatpost as low as I want it no probs. And if you have a hydration pack, the down-tube bottle mounts arnt really a problem. Think the Mk2 frames might have rectified these issues. A front mech might limit rear tyre to about 2.2inch but run 1x9 or 1x10 or 1x11

great bike, bit expensive,

On-One Inbred, Salas Mamasita, Spec Camber and Epic carbon

[Oct 18, 2012]
daniel harvey

OVERALL
Strength:

nimble for a niner, solid, quick to accelerate and climb, confidence building on descents. Nice cable routing. I like anodized frames.

I run a Talas to help with keeping the nose tracking well on long grinds.

Loved my Rip9 but sold it within weeks of owning my Yelli. I miss the Rip 10% of the time, but if I were still riding it I'd miss the Yelli 90% of the time. I am amazed at how much I love an aluminum hardtail. That being said, I am going to build a Santa Cruz Blur Xcc 650 this winter. I'm trying to emulate the chain stay length and ht angle of the Yelli, yet still get a bit more diameter than a 26er and full suss. But I cannot imagine a world where I'm willing to ever part with my Yelli. Best bike ever for me.

Motobecane Ti 29er

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.