Canfield Brothers EPO Carbon 29er Hardtail

• Carbon frame tested for all-mountain use
  • 66.8° HA a 140mm fork / 67.9° with a 120mm fork
  • Super short 414mm chainstays
  • Threaded 73mm BB for creak free riding
  • 142×12 dropouts with Maxle included

[May 08, 2019]
dustindever

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is light and can be built up as a xc race bike but that's not what the bike is designed for. The angles are in my opinion near perfect. Fantastically balanced for trail riding hooliganism. It descends like a beast and climbs like a mountain goat. The bike give back everything you put into it. You accelerate out of berms unlike alloy or steel bike due to the responsive nature of the carbon frame. A sensible build will get you under 12kg without much effort. Better that the following bikes I have owned. Niner Ros kona honzo or taro specialized fuse. I won't be selling this bike in a hurry! This now trumps all my other full suspension bikes I have owned due to its versatility. With a xc gang or enduro peeps you will still have full confidence!

Internal routing for dropper has now been changed which is great. Clearance for rear tires over 2.4 is limited.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2017
[Jun 20, 2017]
kong999

OVERALL
Strength:

This is one skookum beast with reinforced carbon to take a proper beating in the all mountain category. And yet it has the grace of an XC rig with the right fork (120mm) if you want to rock the flat twisties with speed. An amazing descender with short stays that allow you to really get back on the bike for the sphincter clenching gnar...with lots of confidence boosting stability. Has cable routing for a dropper if that be your plan. Beautiful styling with a clear-coat that allows you to enjoy the raw carbon it's made of. Also love the decals and logo. Lastly, the Canfield Brothers take warranties seriously and replaced a defective frame for me with a one day turn around...no questions asked. Customer service for me goes a loooooong way. They are a small outfit and are customer centric; and let's face it, in this day and age, that's pretty damn refreshing.

Does not have a space for second water bottle cage...looks like they could have modified the frame to sneak one in. No big deal...just have to use my hydration backpack.

If you like a strong and flickable ride that can handle anything you throw at it...this is a good bet. Even though it's a hard tail, it rides way softer than my aluminum yelli. That's the beauty of the carbon and my overall build with the wider profile rims and tire setup also. If this doesn't get the adrenaline flowing...you might be already dead.

Canfield Yelli Screamy

[Jan 12, 2016]
fastfish666

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight <1.5kg for large frame; solid construction (see the photos/videos); very playful; great aggressive XC beast!

for pure XC its quite slack HTangle and steep STangle takes a bit of getting used to

Demoed L and M with 140mm pike at ovespoke bikes in UK. For more aggresssive XC oriented I wanted longish position so 1t 5'11" and 33" inseam I went for L. Have ended up with Thomson setback seatpost, 60mm stem and swept 680mm bars -- good compromise of climbing, comfort and descending capability. (I also have a M Yelli Screamy 80mm stem, inline post; and L Riot 55mm stem, inline post) so wanted bike that would compliment these two. I also prefer with 120mm fork for my riding style: long XC rides with fast, techy descents. Very please with the bike so far, it will take a 36t middle ring just (im running 22,36 on inner and middle of M970 cranks). seems to soak up rear vibrations more than the yelli. only done about 80km on it so far, but very pleased. Bit expensive in Europe/UK but very nice bike, and there's not much els like it available

Canfield Yelli Screamy, Canfield Riot, Kona Big Kahuna + lots of others mode XC oriented 29er and before 26ers

[Jun 05, 2015]
esoelsch

OVERALL
Strength:

overall awesomeness

Background:
Been riding for 15 years or so. Never been a racer boy in any capacity but ride with everyone from hammerhead roadies to chill freeriders and love it all. My trails of choice are the steep, rooty, and rocky lines out here in Pisgah. For the last 10 years I’ve ridden a full suspension trail bike (Heckler, Nomad, etc) but purchased a Pivot Les hardtail a year or so ago and found that I loved going back to the simplicity of a hardtail, and that the newer 29er frames really are an improvement over my old school 26er hardtail days. With kid, family, job, etc. I also love how easy it is to fill up a water bottle and get out the door. No messing with a hydration pack, no fiddling with a rear shock, tightening pivots, trying to figure out what’s creaking, etc. Sometimes I feel like my FS rig is conspiring to keep me from riding! The Pivot is an amazing bike, but I started hitting some jumps on it and started to get a little worried about doing damage to such a super light frame.
I ALMOST went back to a short travel FS frame like the Evil Following, but saw the new EPO and figured I’d give it a try… I purchased the frame and swapped over my build from the Pivot to keep costs down. Thus the spec is not necessarily ideal for this bike in some ways…
I’m 5’10”, 150 lbs.
Ride Report:
Due to the build issues mentioned, I was not in my usual happy place when I got the bike out on its first ride. One major note, with a 120mm fork, the seat tube angle is STEEP! I have literally had my saddle slammed as far forward as it will go on every single bike I’ve owned. On the EPO it’s slammed as far back as it will go, and it’s still further forward than I’ve ever run on any bike I’ve owned! This was all I could think about as I rode out from the parking lot on the first ride out at Bent Creek.
Honestly the first 15 minutes on the bike didn’t blow me away. Coming from the Pivot, the Canfield was just a little heavier, I was getting used to the steep seat angle and taller front end, and resenting the fact that I couldn’t run my low q factor cranks. Things started to turn around when I hit the steepest part of the climb. I was running the front end a little taller on the EPO so I would have clearance between my top tube and shifters. I expected the tall and slack front end to be noticeably worse on the steep climbs—but if anything the opposite was true. The front end didn’t wander at all, and the forward saddle position / short chainstays put me in a much better pedaling position when going got steep. Things were turning around!
At the top of the first DH (Greens Lick for those who are wondering) I was still not entirely sold on the frame. Let’s just say that all doubts went out the window after the first few feet of the descent. I still don’t know exactly what it is about the frame that causes it to ride the way it does, but here are the highlights:
-significantly less jarring than the Pivot. I can’t tell if this is caused by materials or geometry, but the bikes have a completely different feel when plowing through choppy trail. Honestly most of the time I forget that I am on a hardtail when I ride the EPO. The Pivot reminded me of this often!
-the EPO loves to be in the air! The short stays make it want to launch off of every rock in the trail!
-Stable, confidence inspiring geometry. I won’t say that it’s quite as inspiring on drops as the SB66, but it is confidence inspiring in a way that the Pivot was not—despite the numbers being very similar between the two frames. Granted, Greens Lick doesn’t have any big drops at all, but there were lines that I never felt comfortable with on the Pivot that felt super comfortable on the Canfield.
Summary:
I have about 4-5 rides total on the frame and love it a little more very ride. It has become my “go to” bike for most conditions over the SB66 just because it pedals so darn well! On the downhill it is a hair slower on high speed chunky trails, but depending on the trail it’s often more fun to ride the Canfield. If I were building from scratch I would put a burlier front fork on it. For me I think a 130mm fork would be the sweet spot to add a little DH capability without losing the responsiveness on XC trails. I’m also tempted to try a burlier front tire as well. Surprisingly I do like the Ikon with the 2.35 EXO casing. It rolls fast and so far the casing has held up well. I need to invest in a better bottle cage though because going faster means more ejected water bottles!
In conclusion, I would never say a bad thing about the Pivot Les. It is a stellar race bike with good, trail friendly geometry, and the fit and finish is excellent. However for my riding style the Canfield is where it’s at. If you can deal with the steep seat tube angle I would highly recommend.

Pivot Les
Santa Cruz Chameleon

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.