Access Stealth 4.0 29er Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano Deore

[Apr 29, 2020]
WMD521

OVERALL
Strength:

Fork works very good,coil spring with remote lockout and rebound sdjustment.. Stan's rims tubeless mounting was very easy. Big value for the money.

Did not like the stock tires, not enough tread. They were only good on hard trails, knobbies to small for any mud but it was an easy fix to put on different tires

Purchased:
New
[Feb 13, 2012]
ray.a1971

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast Rigid Carbon Frame, Cheap saddle surprisingly comfortable, Stans Arch Rims, Stans Tires

Shimano Deore disc brakes are noisy and perform poorly, hubs are junk, cheap bars, stem,and seat post. No 15.5" frame available. No tapered head tube. Access has been discontinued.

This bike represents a great opportunity to get into a carbon frame for a value price. It's unfortunate that Performance has discontinued the Access brand. I was lucky to buy one of the last ones. I would recommend a Stealth over one of those off brand Chinese made frames available on E-bay because Performance will stand behind the Stealth and it was made with some measure of quality control.

This frame is very stiff and very responsive. If feels fast. I have yet to take it on an Epic all day ride and suspect that the stiff ride will be quite different than a steel or ti frame on a longer ride. Never the less, I don't think you can go wrong with a Stealth especially when compared to other bikes in the price range.

My conclusion is that I paid for a frame. The stock build kit is mid/low end at best but as time passes and upgrades occur this frame is a great foundation. (I knew this going into it so I'm not complaining) Don't get me wrong, this bike is great for what it cost. Like any production bike it's a series of compromises. I recommend this bike to anyone who can accept these compromises and is able to either live with them or upgrade. I would not recommend this bike to anyone that is not comfortable with bicycle maintenance and upgrades.

Future upgrades will include:
Fox F29 Fork
Hubs
Sram 2x10 drivetrain

Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er, Niner MCR

[Jan 15, 2012]
finny1999

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality, price, brakes

Junk stem, seatpost and bars. Poorly built wheelset. derailleur hangers aren't available. Lack of knowledge and support from Performance bike.

Bought this as a budget entry to carbon frames. The frame quality seems good and the ride is great. Wheelset is poorly built, rear wheel will not maintain tension. Performance is making a 2nd attempt to fix this. For some reason they sent the wheel to Stan's to be repaired/replaced???? Guess they don't know their products since its only a stans rim laced to joy hubs. Also derailleur hangers aren't available for this bike. Supposedly there are several people at Performance customer support searching for the last two weeks to find out what hanger this bike takes.

Overall for a $1100 bikes it is what it is. I shouldn't expect that much for the price. Overall if I was to do it again I would buy one of the $400-500 Chinese carbon frames and build it myself. From the talk on the forums there is better customer support from China than there is from my local Performance store

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.