Trek Rumblefish II 29er Full Suspension

The next step for 29er fans looking to tackle more technical terrain, or 26" trail riders ready to trade up to bigger wheels. Upgrades from Rumblefish I:

• Shimano XT/XTR drivetrain
  • Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes
  • 3-position ProPedal

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 24, 2014]
    joebreez

OVERALL
    Strength:

Climbs great when setup properly, Great maneuverability, plows over everything

Avid brakes

This review is for a 2011 Rumblefish II, did a demo ride using 3 bikes- Rumblefish, superfly 100 and 26 fuel 9.8.
    Did the same loops during a demo day. Fell in love with the larger wheels. Held speed better, actually climbed better and overall felt faster everywhere. I've been riding for 20 years in the rock infested East and have ridden hardtails to long travel bikes, but mostly like to do Aggressive XC. I was replacing a Haro Sonix so was looking for an upgrade.
    I'm 6' 3" so larger wheels work better for me but I didn't think it would be that much difference.
    Transition from my 26er was quick. RF is actually quite good in the tight stuff, trek did their homework very well.
    Bike does everything well. Descending is great, holds a line well and longer travel means line not too important.
    I ride with some aggressive guys and don't usually have a problem keeping up anywhere, in fact I'd say I'm riding faster and more aggressively than before. In fact I did the tubeless conversion due to too many flats from hitting stuff harder.
    I swapped out the Avid brakes to Formula RX's, didn't like the lever bends and found that they lacked adjustment.
    The stock wheels aren't too bad and doing tubeless conversion was easy and pain free. No issues and no burping during rides at all.
    I've since upgraded wheels to some Flows and X9 hubs and have had a few burps during side loading of tires, not a problem with Bonty rim strips, the edges are locked to the tire beads.
    Overall I'm thrilled with the bike, very well sorted.
    I've Demoed a Camber, RF is a little more forgiving ride wise.
    Demoed Stumpjumper, very similar in performance and ride quality.

Specialized Camber, Specialized Stumpjumper

[Nov 03, 2013]
    dculotta

OVERALL
    Strength:

2012 Elite frameset, XT drive train and brakes, WTB/DT Swiss wheels. Bike is 28-30 pounds depending how much dirt's on it. I'm around 155-160lbs with gear, ride in the Phoenix, AZ area on rocky, chunky trails. Been on the Fish about a year, put it together as a do-it-all trail bike.

Overall I (mostly) like the DRCV suspension front and rear. Plush, more linear feel to it, and it takes some pretty big and quick-succession hits without any harsh ramp-up or bottoming. ABP works as intended.

This thing straight plows over everything when pointed down, and can handle tight, rocky sections way better than I thought it would. Best strategy is to just let it run and roll over everything. Holds. A. Line. It gets up to speed quick though so get on the brakes a little earlier than usual to reign it in for corners. Burly construction- thrash it with confidence.

Stable through corners, but not exactly slow-mo-berm-slashing-video material though. Geo is good; very responsive without being twitchy, and quick direction changes aren't a problem. You can get in the air and throw it around easy enough, though it can take a little extra body-english. Stable off jumps, but landings will take all your travel.

Takes a little muscle to get to ramming speed, but once rolling it holds momentum well.

It's almost silly what you can claw up when climbing. It just goes up chunky stuff like nothing. Good on more mellow climbs as well. Hit the pro-pedal for longer/smoother stuff.

It's REAL easy to blow through the travel on the DRCV shock unless you run really high pressure, but the PUSH spacer may fix that. Bottoming is almost unnoticeable though and it doesn't pack up easy, so not really much of an issue.

Significant pedal bob when out of the saddle, it's almost a joke without the pro-pedal. Seems to actually help it on tech climbs though if you can time the momentum shifts right.

I could have done with a little slacker head angle, but the fork offset almost eliminates the too-steep feeling. Can still get a little sketchy on really steep, twisty techy stuff.

Not a weakness, just an FYI- the front of this bike is TALL. Get a shorter stem, wider bars, ditch the spacers.

Really tight turns can be slow/tricky, and sometimes it just can't make it around. Slow techy climbing with tight direction changes are tough. That's most 29ers though.

Overall, strengths FAR outweigh the weaknesses on this bike, and I have been thoroughly impressed. I just wasn't expecting this much from a 29er in this travel and geometry range. I've run it through everything from big mileage days to rocky, steep thrashings and have very, very little to complain about. I really consider this a do it all trail bike that can pull you through sections, going both up and down, that you didn't think you'd clean.

Discontinued for 2014, so get a smokin' deal and go home happy.

[May 26, 2012]
    firefighter20

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well first of all the wheel size, I am a long travel 26in bike convert. The component spec is top notch. The overall fit of this machine is confidence inspiring. Carves turns like its on rails.

After 18 months of riding, no complaints!

It may sound too good to be true that a product is this good but it is. Trek has done it, created a capable trailbike that can go the distance and slay some gnarly terrain up here in the north east. Ride one,test it, borrow from a friend and you wont be disappointed.

2007 Specialized Enduro Expert, 2008 Mongoose Khyber Super. Tested 2011 Specialized fsr expert 29er, Niner rip 9, Giant anthem 29er.

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Ken Kienow

OVERALL
    Strength:

This review is for the rumblefish elite.

My hardtail 29er is 30 pounds. This Rumblefish is around 30 pounds. The Rumblefish climbs just as well (or slightly better) than my hardtail. In other words, the geometry and suspension are perfect. It climbs really, really well. And when it's time to descent, it inspires so much confidence. I feel more in control than any other bike I've ridden, and at higher speeds than I've ever ridden. It's definitely plush and can handle fairly big hits, and it's a very comfortable bike to ride over rough terrain. My back and hands are loving it.

I set it up tubeless right away with Bontrager 29-4 TLR in front and a 29-3 TLR in the rear. That seems to be a good combo - the 29-4 is a big tire with big knobs, and it holds well in corners. The rear bites pretty well for climbing and seems to roll pretty well. I'm 190lb (with gear) and have 25PSI front and around 28-30PSI rear.

The thru-axle setup makes the wheels so rigid...the bike feels much less noodly than my hardtail. It's a stiff frame and the wheelset with the thru-axle seems super beefy.

It looks sexy too, and I'm really happy with the components list on the Rumblefish Elite.

None that I can identify yet. It would be nice if it was lighter, but at this price point and for what it's intended for I'm not sure that's possible.

Get it. It climbs as well as a comparable-weight hardtail and descends with lots and lots of confidence. I'm extremely happy with this bike so far.

SC Heckler, Windsor 29" hardtail

[Dec 22, 2011]
    flamdrag8

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong, well built, relatively light weight, suspension -DRCV

none yet

A fantastic trail bike. Possibly the best trail bike ever.

Gary Fisher HIFI 29er

[Dec 04, 2011]
    RMAS

OVERALL
    Strength:

Plush Susp,Turns like a 26" bike,XXL size

Heavy tires,XT Brakes cant b run moto style

Love it,climbs,decends,turns,and sucks up rocks and roots better than my FSR.

Stumpjumper FSR 29,

[Oct 17, 2011]
    turtle1976bikes

OVERALL
    Strength:

ABP (Active Braking Pivot) and the DRCV are a great match on the rear end! It's tubeless ready, the geometry is just right I didn't feel like I was riding a sluggish 29er! This bike climbs well, and goes down hill and over nasty stuff just as good!

The Avid Brakes sucked! (They fixed that for 2012) Wheel set is Okay. I felt ripped off when I found out the $2,200 Rumblefish had the same heavy wheel set on it as my $3,700 fish did. (They fixed that for 2012)

I love this bike, Trek has addressed all my dislikes about the bike for 2012 so I have the 2012 on order!

Garyfisher HiFi, Ellsworth Evolve, Ellsworth Evolution, and Santa Cruz Tallboy.

[Sep 19, 2011]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

Trek Warranty, G2 Geometry, 29er, Descent Component Group,

Stock Heavy Wheels, Seat, Stock Fox suspension setup

This is my second Rumblefish. A bit heavier than the first but stable bike with 12mm thru axle. Did many upgrades from stock but the best was the front and rear custom setup from Push Industries. Wow what a difference it makes. The stock fork never used full travel and rear shock pressure volume affect bump sensitivity. With Push the rear shock pressure is 20lbs less. Rides smooth and pedals great. Also, stock rear shock blew after 2 months and wouldn't hold air. reat all around bike for rugged northeast trails. Pedals great, Climbs great, Descends even better. You will be happy with the ride. Highly recommend shock fork upgrade from Push.

Hifi, Motobecane Fly team Ti

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.