Trek Fuel EX 29er Full Suspension

Features:
-All the awesomeness of Fuel EX, now in a 29er version
-ABP keeps your suspension active while you’re on the brakes
-DRCV shock gives you smooth, predictable all-terrain control
-Trail-optimized G2 29er geometry is fast, agile, confident

Frameset:
Frame Alpha Platinum Aluminum, ABP Convert, Full Floater, E2 tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, press fit BB, ISCG 05 mount, magnesium EVO link, down tube guard, G2 Geometry, 120mm travel

Front suspension:
Fox Evolution Series 32 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 120mm travel

Rear suspension:
Fox Evolution Series Float w/DRCV, CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 7.25×1.875"

[Apr 11, 2019]
Krash3r-X

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for a 2017 Fuel ex7 29er (frame is a 17,5´´) - I had been looking to switch to a 27,5´´ or a 29’´ mtb for a while so when Trek came up with the switchable wheelsize feature I was hooked. I ride mostly local trails and here in Southeast PA they are a mix of everything so this bike is perfect in my opinion. I am 52 and this is why I ride full suspension, it’s definitely more comfortable! I bought this particular model because I wanted the red frame. The RoxShox revelation is as reliable as can be although Fox forks are plusher i love this one’s feedback and precise ride, not to mention the super-sweet blacked-out finish. 29ers are faster, 27,5´´s are more playful (my son as a Camber and I dig it!) The ex7 comes stock with a dropper seat post and YES they work much better when installed at the factory, and they also are covered by the bike’s warranty so that is a no-brainer if you use the dropper. Shimano brakes work perfectly since day one ( feb ‘17 ), all the bells and whistles you’d want are there to set up your suspension and I use them although i stopped using the front forks lockout since I forgot it once and almost went over the bars while blasting down the hill years ago on my Jamis Dakar! The 2x10 gearing setup allows an older rider rider to go easy up the hill while keeping some speed on the flats. If you are more agressive you’ll probably switch to a 1x11 or consider the ex8 instead. They are now plenty of bikes to choose from in that price range. I was considering a Specialized Epic ( the Epic is a better climber ) but bought the Trek because I dig the looks and the features. And I like my local shop, it’s important to keep these guys going and they always have my back. The Fuel EX7 rides really well and although I am older I climb better and I ride faster on the flats with less effort. It feels a tiny bit heavier than my friends Specialized Epic but only if you are really picky. I do not regret the 26´´

I do not love the tires for some reason, not a big deal but when they wear out I’ll probably put a set of Schwalbe or something. Happy Trails whatever you ride !

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Apr 08, 2019]
rduk

OVERALL
Strength:

Seems to do what I need

None yet seems great

2018
[Apr 06, 2017]
donow

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast over varied terrain, smooth and fast on flats. Strongest in cross country settings. All good stock set up except for tires.

This is a cross country bike and not a downhill nor a climbing bike - its set up in the middle. So its averageness climbing and on fast decent is is a 'weakness' sort of. The stock tires (Bontrager XR3 Expert) are not great. Tires are fast on flat dry but very dicey on roots and rocks and dangerous in wet conditions. I have a concussion and broken toe from two different falls in wet conditions were the wheels slid out from under me. The adjustments to the shocks are a reach down so you have to get used to that. The dropper post adds weight and I have yet to see it as an advantage worth the weight.

Reviewing the 2016 Fuel EX 29er: Overall I like this bike very much. After 2 years of riding everything (except tires) has held up very well. It is a beast but the extra weight of a 29er is offset by its inertia and wheel size. Brakes, shifting and suspension are all quite good. I did have my handle bar width reduced as they come very wide. Dropper post trigger is too far from grips to be useful in stock so you can remove the shifter gear indicator (useless anyway) and slide the Dropper trigger over. If you are coming from a 26 inch ride like I was get ready for a very big change in riding.

[May 23, 2016]
cleanneon98

OVERALL
Strength:

Suspension performance and comfort over rough terrain
Climbing abilities
Gearset
Dropper Post
Reactiv rear shock really works

I came from an XCaliber 6 29er and I thought that felt big, so of course I got another 29er haha. In reality, its probably just my riding that needs improvement.

One gripe with the shock is that it seems to sag more than I expect it to in climb mode, but again, could be that I need more air in it.

NO GEAR INDICATOR

This review is for a 2015 TREK FUEL EX9 29er 17.5" frame.

I picked this up used for a great deal, drove 12 hours to get it, but so far it has been a great bike for me. It has tackled all the terrain I wanted it to, even better than I expected. SO far, I have not fallen off the bike at all. Mine has all original equiptment and as soon as I brought it home, I took it to my LBS for a checkup, and they said it was in great shape, so the whole year that the prior owner was riding it, nothing wore abnormally.

There are noticable differences between all 3 of the shock damping settings, but I have not played with rebound yet.

Two things I wish TREK did differently

1. Mounted the dropper post actuator UNDER the handlebars, not over. This is a specific part so you can't just flip it upside down. This I suppose is a matter of preference.
2. Equipped it with a remove shock adjuster. I can reach the front while riding, but sometimes if I want to switch up something on the rear shock, it's quite a PITA reaching down looking for the toggle. I've also noticed when in climb mode and I try to switch down to Trail, it bumps me right into descend mode if I just push the toggle over, and don't grab it from both sides and move it. Again, not so much a problem off the bike, but while riding.

I know that at any price-point, there will always be someone who wants more stuff. However, can't help but feel that this remove shock adjuster feature should have been standard on what is the highest end bike in the FUEL EX family, both in the Carbon and Aluminum versions.

2014 TREK XCaliber 6 29er

[Aug 24, 2015]
Silent Shark

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight for a metal frame 29er, slacker head, maneuverable for a 29er, 1x11 is the real deal.

OEM tires are craptacular, rear XT brake fade, initial stealth dropper post clicking noise issue.

I've rode a 2008 Fuel EX 9.5 for several years and most recently a Excalibur 8. I've used the 2016 Fuel EX 9 29 for a month now and am very impressed with it's capabilities. Riding the Tunnel Springs and Mueller Park trails in Utah, I can testify the 1x11 SRAM is genius and the real deal. The bike has more of a slacker head which I preferred for both climbing and descents. Somehow the bike feels very light and maneuverable for a metal framed 29er. Initially, the Stealth dropper post had some clicking noises, the noise has since disappeared after putting more than 50 miles on the bike.

I have found the OEM tires not up to task (climbing over roots, large rocks and braking down hill in the lose stuff), Maxxis High Rollers would take the bike to another level. The rear XT brake fade for a unknown reason.

As of this review Trek has yet to posted the 2016 suspension set specs for the Fox 34 performance fork and rear Fox shock for this bike. The dealer set up the shocks, but I find the rear shock overly plush.

The 2016 Fuel EX 9 29 is a winner, but four chili's due to some of the 2016's components being down graded from the 2015 model and weak OEM tires.

Trek Excalibur 8, Trek Fuel EX 9.5, Cannondale Rush Lefty

[Sep 16, 2014]
Tom F

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, great suspension, great geometry.

Still working on ideal setting for fork, not there yet

I had a 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. What a great bike! I had it dialed in, but after 3 plus years wanted a 29er. I had tested a few. I bought a Trek SuperFly 100 AL Elite. I hated it. Put better tires, shorter stem etc and spend a lot of time trying different suspension setting. It never felt smooth and always fought you.

I sold it a got the Fuel Ex 8 29er. It felt like home on my first ride! No more fighting the bike around turns and down technical parts. The suspension is feels much better, even though travel is only 10mm longer. The angles are perfect, Instead of riding corners I can rail them. Also, this feel just as fast or faster than the Superfly. Kills it going up hills. On the Superfly, I would drop a chain half the time down technical trails, the shadow on this works great, no more dropping chains. I have not have to do any adjustment or change parts (other than shock adjustment). This is my favorite bike

SuperFly100 AL ELITE, Stumpjumper FSR 2010

[Apr 04, 2014]
BikingDaddy

OVERALL
Strength:

great value for money
stock tires are good for dry to slightly damp conditions
Shimano SLX plus derailleur (no chainslap)
colour scheme (allthough at first I wasn't impressed by it)
up till now the bontrager duster wheels hold up really good
BIG WHEELS just keep on rolling!

really DO NOT like the CTD up front(works well in trail setting)
handlebars(but that is a personal choice)
stock brake rotors tend to disform at hard braking into corners
No X12 x 142 rear-axle

After getting used to the bike it really is a great bike.Was looking for a bit longer toptube and thought,why not go for a 29-er.It is different to my old bike in the way that the handling is a little more backwords as supposed to a 26-er with more suspension.You can really feel the difference in wheelbase and the larger wheels.
My main use of it is a lot of XC (can't say all-mountain because off the lack of mountains in the Netherlands),some small bikepark use and back and forward on tarmac.
Suspension set-up is easy with the fox/trek calculator and after finetuning it a bit I find myself running only trail setting.Found the descent-setting a little to light for my kind of riding.Still miss the easy tuning of the compression damping like I had with my Lyrik.Feels like the Fox evolution 32 fork blows through the 120 mm off suspension with ease allthough it beiing setup as recommended.Actually.I now got 5 psi more into it.Rides better
The big wheels really roll over all the small bumps and in combination with the right suspension set-up the bike rolls over anything.
Handling is friendly when you understand that there is a lit bit more power and body movement needed to get the bike to do do what you want.This is due to the larger wheels and therefor the larger rotating mass.
The rear-suspension works really well and feels butterly smooth.
I am NOT a true XC-racer but All-mountain would be a lie.
This really is a XC+ bike.Not a raceXC. If you're not into racing and also not into jumping or big-mountain riding but just want to have fun on your bike and get around with ease this is the right bike for you.Peddling is easy and it really holds speed.

none,came from a Banshee Rune V1.0,GT I-drive 1.0

[Mar 12, 2014]
carl Hungus

OVERALL
Strength:

well spec'd bike, solid handling, DRCV shock w/full floater linkage- abp rear brake. Great FOX suspension, die hard slx/xt drivetrain, xr3 tires, affintity saddle, dropper post ready. super refined aluminum frame.

cockpit is short- needs longer stem- abp loosens easily- would like 34mm stanchion fork.

A great mid range model where value is high. The custom FOX rear shock and front fork are great esp with Trek's "full floater" linkage. - The 7 is the first model in the lineup to include the FOX set up so that bike to me is the best value in the lineup. This is a great 29er from Trek that pedals great and is capable enough for almost any terrain you can throw it down.

[Feb 10, 2014]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Shimano SLX brakes, XT shadow plus RD, rear suspension efficiency, ABP, DRCV, tubeless ready

Front fork, CTD setup, heavy flimsy duster wheels, XR3 expert tires, average weight

PROS: In my opinion, Trek did a great job coordinating this bike's color scheme (grey & red). The bike's spec is about average for this price point, but Trek did a good job with keeping the cost down without sacrificing durability or performance. The rear suspension feels like more than 120mm of travel partially because of the Horst link esque setup, and partially because of Fox's "dual rate control valve" which remains closed for smaller bumps and only opens up on bigger hits. Trek's active brake pivot prevents braking forces from affecting suspension performance. This means when you are hard on the brakes, the rear suspension keeps working to keep the wheel planted, thus, giving you more traction. Also, the wheels are pretty easy to set up tubeless BUT the stock Bontrager XR3 expert tires are not tubeless compatible.

CONS: I set up the suspension according to Trek's recommendations for my weight and did not mess with it at all. The front fork has a lot of braking dive in trail mode, and comes close to bottoming out under normal riding when in descend mode. The fork does not feel particularly smooth through the travel BUT the seals are bomb-proof so far. It seems like this fork is not as high performance as other forks in the price range, but it is very durable. Fox's climb trail descend setup is a good idea, but can be a pain in the butt to reach down and switch while riding. I keep the suspension in trail mode for everything besides road riding & gravel trails because trail mode is very efficient and descend mode bottoms out very quickly. I taco'd my rear wheel on the second ride after landing hard on a rock. I do not have enough experience with 29er wheels to say whether another brand would have survived the impact, but it just kind of ticked me off. The XR3 tires have a great tread pattern, but the expert level compound is not very durable. After about 150 miles of normal Pennsylvania riding, the rear tire had 4 separate cuts showing threads, so I replaced it with an XR3 team level tire. I guess the higher thread count made a big difference because I have put twice the miles on the same trails without a problem. My 19.5 comes in around 28-29 lbs which is not particularly impressive for this price point.
OVERALL: It is a fun, efficient, and sensible trail bike.

[Dec 20, 2013]
25lbs & Counting

OVERALL
Strength:

Compared to other bikes in the same price range, this is a great bike. Suspension works like a charm, I like Shimano parts all around with proper size rotors for a trail bike.

Stem feels thin, Fox DRCV shock leaks a lot of oil, although no issues, just never had a fox shock do that.

Haven't owned a Trek bike since 1996. Nothing against the company, just never found a bike that I really liked until now. Never bought a bike over the 100mm travel range, so really nothing to compare to in the same range. What pushed me over the fence is once I rode this bike I quickly figured out that could have a longer travel XC range bike that could be my quiver killer. Local trails were fine for a 100mm travel bike, but found myself out matched on more technical trails. Really wanted a light weight trail bike that can ride both disiplines.
That is where I saw the light after my first ride. On top of that the price was right! Before the bike left the store had them swap the wheels, tires, rotors for my King/Crest wheelset, tubeless with Specialized ground control 2.1 tires. Changed the saddle, post, stem, handlebars and crank. Dropped that weight down to 27lbs. with XT pedals. Not the lightest, put light enough to accomplish any trail ride.
Suspension tracks really well, surprised the hell out of me. Both braking and climbing, got my A+ on Trek's ABP technology. Using the trail settings on both front and rear suspension. Combination of 29er wheels and 120mm just smooths out trail clutter.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.