Transition Bikes Smuggler 29er Full Suspension

[Dec 01, 2016]
tobiwan
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

- extreme wide field of application from long distance rides to enduro racing, this bike handels all
- perfect geometrie with short stays and long front
- due to short seat tube you can choose if you like a smaller or larger frame
- suspension is very active and feels much more than 115mm
- bottle holder in the triangle
- and it is a nice looking bike ;)
- can take 650b + if you want

- none (really)
- internal cable routing rattles a bit, but that is something you can sort out easily with some zips

I am riding for nearly 30 years now and have owned lot´s of bikes. And I was a 29er hater till 2015. Then I bought a Transition TransAm29 and my mind changed and I realized how capable this bike is. But it was still a hardtail and going in the alps was doable but not fun. So the idea came up to sell the TransAM29 and looking for the ONE and ONLY bike - a full suspension 29er and yes, I ended up buying the Smuggler 2016 as a frame.

As I am coming from a downhill background I immediatley installed a Works Components -1° Head angle and a 140mm Fork. So overall the steering angle should be somewhere at 66° which I like a lot. It still handles the climbes very nicely without any tendencies of a wandering frontwheel and on the down´s it is a blast. I set up the rear shock with 28% SAG and I installed overall 4 rings in the damper. And with this setup I am doing some nice trips in the alps, go for the local trails with jumps and berms or check out new shovelled locations nearby.
This is bike so a truley all rounder and can do the long distance like a honest cat but it can also get wild and eat up really gnarly stuff. I think a lot of people are riding the Evil Following as it is hugly hyped but try the smuggler with these slighty changes (head angle, SAG) and I am sure it will change your mind.
Totally recommend this bike

Lot´s of bikes, mainly enduro´s or dh´s

[Feb 03, 2016]
MediumDiesel
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling and suspension. Very nimble for a 29er and can handle way more than its travel would suggest.

Cable rattle would be one, but I fixed that when I built it. Other than that, no issues function wise after 5 months.

I picked this up after a warrantied frame was sold. I was looking for a nimble 29er and this was it. I paid full retail for it and I am very impressed. The bike climbs much better than I was expecting for the horst link- giddy up suspension. But I really wanted it for the flowy downhill stuff and its amazing. It loves being bunny hopped and manualed, but you have the rollover of the 29er when it gets chunky. I love this thing.

When I built it up I attached the brake line and shifter cable together and used the fuzzy side of some Velcro on either side to keep the internal cable rattle down, works great. I'll let you know how it goes when I need to replace a shifter cable though...

Specialized Camber, Niner RIP9 RDO. I demoed SC Tallboy, Stumpy 29, Bronson, 5010.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.