Specialized S-Works Enduro 29er Full Suspension

[Nov 12, 2019]
JMorvs

OVERALL
Strength:

My 2018 S-Works Enduro FSR 29" is an absolutely awesome bike because it will eat up technical rocky trails at high speeds. I seriously enjoyed the 160mm of rear travel with an ÖHLINS TTX 22 M Coi and increased the front to 170mm by installing a Fox 36 GRIP2 combined with aggressive downhill inspired engineering and raked fork angle. I raced it in the California Enduro Series and the bike ate up all that Auburn (Mammoth Bar), Northstar Bike Park, China Peak Bike Park, Mammoth Mountain Bike Park, and Ashland Mountain threw at me to finish the season in 4th place overall.

There's obviously some give and take with its sizable increase in travel so, on the opposite end of the spectrum, it is a bit spongy for climbs and cross-country type trails but I did set it up for descending!

Price Paid:
2018
[Nov 12, 2019]
JMorvs

Strength:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, because of all the suspension and lack of lock-out with the rear coil-over shock, it is a bit spongy for climbs and on cross-country type trails but I did set it up for descending so there's the give and take to consider.

Price Paid:
[Nov 28, 2013]
Aljaz Anderle
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Components choice - Pike forks, CCDBA CS rear shock, X0 trail brakes, carbon wheels, bombproof seatpost, a strong, rigid and beautiful frame, SRAM XX1 group.
I do add 29" wheels to the strengths side.

Tires. Not that specialized tires are bad, but there is meager selection in 29 size. So, Butcher front and Purg rear is as good as it gets. Fortunately there are new enduro 29 tires coming out soon from maxxis, schwalbe and continental.

As I moved through various bike ownerships from xc hardtails to all mountain fullys, the Specialized Enduro inevitably came into sight. After a brief affair with the Trek Slash 9 that didn't quite work for m e -I bought the Enduro. I went for the s works because of the weight savings, components choice - especially forks and shock, and a fortunate price deal.
The Enduro in 29" version has arisen much controversy this year. I was inclined toward 26 version, until I had a chance to test the 29. I was convinced in one short ride on a local, very well known trail. The bike let me rip faster than anytime before without even demanding some time to get used to it. The next thing I made was preorder the 2014 29er.
In short: the bike exceeded my expectations in how fast and agile is. Living in alpine counttry, where the trails are predominantly steep, tight-curved and rugged, I needed a bike that can handle switchbacks, steep descents, technicl trails, and long, exhausting climbs. It provides on all fronts. Big wheels have so far only proven a benefit, never a con. By the way - giving my bike to others to ride it, helped persuade several 26 believers to switch and order their own 29 enduros for 2014.
Ridin' it, is believin'.
The only troubles I had were related to tires. Light tires can't stand low pressure riding and a result were several flats on first rides. I hated to ride over-inflated so I swapped for a tubeless kit which made a ton of change and was a breeze to set up.
I also rode the comp version and again -- it is a very good bike to ride with certain component and weight compromise - but for many people it will be the best option to reach for.