Rocky Mountain Altitude 29er Full Suspension

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29The Altitude 29 is a big-wheel re-interpretation of Rocky Mountains best sellingTrail bike. Straight Up geometry, FORM™Tubing, and SmoothLink suspension all come standard, as well as choice componentry and Rocky Mountains reputation for well-built and excellent handling bikes (which you absolutely cannot get anywhere else). Features: Straight Up Geometry: Rocky Mountains first of its kind 76-degree seat angle gives you a bio-mechanically correct seat positio

[Feb 13, 2018]
teebtorb

OVERALL
Strength:

I have a 2015 27.5. Went with the midsize wheel because I still want to have maneuverability on the trail and in the air. Love this bike in nearly every aspect. I rode a hard tail for over twenty years and never really questioned why I would ever need a full suspension. Now I see why. It has lockouts front and rear and you can set it for down, climb, and flat. I leave it in down and there isn’t any struggle in any range. It’s comfortable from hometown trail to straight up downhill bombs. Rigid, nimble, and absorbs everything you throw at it.

Great bike but a little heavy compared to the litespeed I rode forever. The weight isn’t noticeable in any type of regular riding. I get a little thrown though with a little bit of freestyle, having ridden on a hard tail for most of my life.

Price Paid:

[Oct 16, 2013]
ferropur_bikes
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing, weight, looks

fork, pivot points, no 12mm axel on rear hub, chain drops out on small ring.

I own the 2010 version in size L. First impressions were good, it climbed really well, but the DH was nowhere near my former stumpy. I adjusted a bit the suspensions getting a decent performance out of the boostvalve FOX, however no chance getting a good travel out of the Fox 32 F29, it rather feels like an XC suspension. No plush feeling whatsoever even with the softer setting. max you'd get 100mm out of it.
I feel like the stem/handlebar is a bit too XC, it could do with a 50mm stem and a riser bar, but that's more a personal taste matter. The driving position is a bit to far forward which takes away the fun of steep downhill specially when riding big mountain at the Alps.
I also faced a problem with the race face chainrings which would drop the chain when switching between medium to small, and the chain would get stack between chainstay and small chainring damaging the frame. I read that this is a problem of the teeth design from RaceFace. I installed a chain tensioner which seems to have solved the problem.
On my last ride I lost the bearing caps and axel of the right rear pivot point, which most likely is due to a bit of slackness from my side in the maintenance, however finding the replacement part is proving to be quite a hard taks (3weeks waiting now...)

Specializez Stumpjumper Comp, Jamis Dakar XLC, Kona ManoMano

[Jun 04, 2012]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling - Climbing - Components - Geometry- Weight

Only one model / color available

I bought this bike after riding a 2011 Altitude Carbon 70 RSL 26er for many months. After riding such a light weight, great handling 26er for so long, I was skeptical about going with a larger bike with considerably more weight. I wanted a full suspension 29er and loved my 26er Altitude so much, I figured the 970 was a logical choice for going 29er.
I have owned a ridden 29ers before although they were hardtails. This bike was so easy to ride, no "transition period" needed to get used to the larger wheels or geometry. I immediately felt improved stability on the trail, less twitching in the front end and smooth flowing turns I could dive into without fear of washing out. The wheelbase on this bike is only slightly longer than my 26er which makes the feel really nice, and the switch from 26 to 29 easy. You will NOT feel like your lugging around a big oversized awkward bike!
You can buy cheaper full suspension 29ers, but if you want quality components and great geometry, do yourself a favor and test ride the Rocky Altitude 970.

[Apr 04, 2012]
Kyro

OVERALL
Strength:

Bike has great component and lightweight overall.

I ordered the small frame and I immediately had issues with pedal wheel interference. I could correct this even when pushing the SPD cleats to the front of my size 8 shoe.

Great bike in regards to build and components. Be aware of wheel/pedal interference when ordering the small frame.

[Apr 03, 2012]
the duke

OVERALL
Strength:

See other reviews of Altitude 29ers as I am not a pro reviewer, and have limited access to comparable models, but I will tell you my impressions.

29ers roll. It’s true. One gulley after another I rolled through the bottom, and far further up the other side than the 26ers. I pedalled far less on the resulting uphill. Given how extremely tight the trails here are, there are times when a 26” wheel is more agile, but the rolling momentum was an advantage far, far more often than a disadvantage. It also glides over small bumps on the flats with tremendous efficiency, as any 29er would.

It obviously descends very well. I’m sure a longer wheelbase and slacker angles would rip even better, but I won’t sacrifice climbing for that. I am not a downhiller, so I’ll simply say that it descends more confidently than anything I’ve ridden, which admittedly doesn’t mean much. Even though it inspires a ton of confidence, I doubt I’ll ever find its limits with my skill. I will say that one LBS employee is a downhiller, and he recommended it over the FSR 29 Comp. He felt the Altitude’s downhilling capabilities were best-in-class. His opinion means much more than mine on this topic. I am excited to open it up on some more open terrain.

Perhaps Rocky’s “straight-up geometry” is a fitting name, as I never felt stretched out over the top tube. I sat straight up, and on climbs, I followed Rocky’s recommendation and didn’t change my posture. I expected the straight up geometry to be a gimmick. It isn’t. Sitting up, the rear tire immediately hooked up, and I was climbing with x-country 26ers. I expected a 29er to roll well, and descend well with 120mm of travel. My fear was it wouldn’t climb like previous generations of Altitudes. I have no reservations in recommending this bike if you enjoy the up.

It comes in just one spec. It's likely the one you'd pick if budget weren't an issue, but it's not cheap, and there aren't options.

I live in an area where we normally ride extremely tight singletrack with endless ups and downs that require short bursts to climb. I also regularly travel to Kananaskis, and Canmore, and would like to add an annual Moab trip to the mix. In other words, I needed a bike that can do it all, save big drops, with slightly more importance put on climbing. I didn’t want another x-country racer, as I want to be comfortable doing marathon rides, and get a bike that will take more abuse. I ride with guys who are riding Elements, Epics, and Top Fuels, so going to a 29er was a departure, particularly a longer travel 29er.

I decided to hunt for a 29er on the recommendation of my LBS, whom I trust. I wanted to go a little longer in travel for a little more descending capability and versatility. My logic was simply that a steeper, shorter bike would climb better, but I wanted the 120mm travel, which narrowed it down to just the Rumblefish and the Altitude. The Altitude came highly recommended by numerous sources (favourite bike of all time at my Rocky dealer – for what that’s worth), had the steepest geometry of any trail or all-mountain bike and a shorter wheelbase than everything except the Tallboy (which has shorter travel and costs considerably more with the same spec). Could I tell you the actual riding difference between a Tallboy, Rumblefish, FSR and Altitude? No. I haven’t ridden them all, and they simply aren’t all available. Also, perhaps choosing one over the other is a futile process. I’m sure they are all great bikes, and this may be splitting hairs, but if you're reading this, you're considering a significant purchase.

I think we have all ridden enough bikes to look at a the geometry and travel on paper and get an idea of how it will feel. The Altitude didn't disappoint. Overall, the Altitude is phenomenal. It felt amazing from the first five minutes, and I don't plan on changing anything for fit. Of course I’d imagine most reviewers feel similarly of their purchase, and maybe I’d be writing exactly the same glowing review of any bike in this price range, but I think what sets the Altitude apart is its ability to climb. It seems to me to be the perfect combination of 29" wheels and full suspension.

Specialized FSR Evo, FSR XC Pro, Epic,

[May 14, 2011]
mtbchik

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively light for FS, responsive handling, fun! fun! fun!

Rear shock tricky to set up....still don't know if I have it dialed right

I've taken this out on twisty, turny trails and find that it handles as well as my 22lb Ti XC race bike. Rolls fast, corners, fast. Granny is a little big for my multi-injured knees, but getting used to it.

This is my new go to bike. Can't wait for the snow to dry up here in the high country. I'll be finding an excuse to ride it everyday!

[May 13, 2011]
spadmike

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to set up, decent part spec, fun, fun, fun

Straight up geometry, seems to put you a bit too foward. I use a seat post dropper to get it out of the way when descending. A bit too much chainslap.

This bike is blast to ride. Corners and climbs like a 29er should. You start riding and then you totally forget you are on a 29er, but just on a great bike. For the price conscious this is a great bike. The complete bike is not much more than a Carbon Tallboy.

Tallboy

[Mar 23, 2011]
Flip Z Bird

OVERALL
Strength:

I almost got the 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 29 SE bike but I waited for the new 2011 one and I'm really glad I did. I've road all kinds of mountain bikes for the last 15 years or so and after my last DH crash I wanted to get a new 29'er that could do everything that I still wanted to ride. The bike comes so well equipped from RMB that I only changed a few things for my own comfort.
First off, as my first 29'er I loved the way it felt out of the trail right from the very first ride. The bike is very well balanced with the Fox 32 F29 front fork and the Fox ProPedal rear shock. The set up was easy enough to set up for the first time and I only needed to tweak it just a little bit after my first two rides. The front fork is very plush and very stiff for a 29'er front fork. I wouldn't get a 29'er for the first few years till they got a stiffer front fork on them. The 15mm front axle really keeps the front tire tracking right over almost everything I've hit out on the trail so far. I went back and forth over switching the 3X9 Shimano XT grearing for the new 3X10 Shimano stuff and I'm glad that I kept the stronger stock 9 speed gearing on the bike. It climbs much better then any of my old 26 inch F/S and hard tail mountain bikes ever did. I love the Maxxis F: 2.4/R:2.25 Ardent Kevlar tires that came on the bike they hook up great out on the desert trails of South Mountain. This is the first bike with Formula R1 disc brakes and the modulation and performance were a great choice for such a nimble bike. I found none of the wheel flex on the new DT Swiss X 470 rims that seemed to be a problem in some of the old non DT Swiss rimed 2010 bike Reviews? Overall Rocky Mountain as made a fantastic 29'er in a price where many of the other competitors can't touch.

I'm nitpicking only on the things out of my own old riding habits. I had Slippery Pig put on a new Easton Monkey Light composite riser bar only because I don't like the feel of flat mountain bike handlebars. I have big hands and I liked the feel of the new OURY lock on grips better then the stock ones.

I road a lot of downhill and the height of the seat post made me want to invest in the new Rock Shox Reverb adjustable seat post. What a great addition to help make this bike even more of an all mountain bike then it was before. My only slight knock on it is that I had to install the remote upside down on the left side of my handlebar to keep it under the bar. I didn't like it sticking up above the right hand side of my handlebar and possibly getting ripped off in a crash. It really makes hitting the rough sections of the trail and the downhill parts of your ride that much better.

Simply put I'm very glad that I bought this 2011 bike. I felt that this bike was more then worth the price of the build kit alone and if I didn't like the frame I could always go out and get one of the new custom made 29'er frame and use this build kit on it. After my first few rides I was so pleased with my new RMB Altitude 29 SE frame that I'll keep it just the way it is.

Way too many to list over the years.

[Mar 02, 2011]
Flip Z Bird

OVERALL
Strength:

I have a brand "2011 Altitude SE 29er" and I want to start a new form thread to review it?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

How can aI start a new thread for the kind of bike that I have and want to post a review on?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.