Pivot Cycles Firebird 29er Full Suspension

• 162mm of supple-yet-efficient dw-link™ suspension
  • Equipped with burly, 44mm offset 170mm-travel Fox 36 FIT Grip2 Factory and Performance Series forks
  • Ultra-adjustable Fox Float X2 (metric) and DPX2 rear shock options
  • Long-and-low geometry for a confident, stable stance Short, 431mm (16.96) chainstays make easy work of the tightest trails

[Nov 02, 2018]
aanderle

OVERALL
Strength:

I don't know where to begin. Lets settle at the fact that this is the best bike I have ever ridden. My last rig was S works Enduro 29, and even though I loved it, the Firebird is a different and mightier beast altogether. Stronger, stiffer, more stable at speed yet very agile, light (sub 14 kilos ride-ready), with good components. I got the Pro X01 build with Reynolds wheelset, industry nine hubs and Fox factory upgrade. It takes a while to set up the formidable suspension, especially to strike the best balance between pedaling efficiency and downhill performance. Following Pivot recommendation proved to be a good starting point, with minor fine tuning needed afterwards. Compared to the last 2 bikes i have ridden a lot - The Enduro 29 and Pivot Switchblade - Firebird beats both with control, stability and plushness. Even climbing is surprisingly efficient. With or without the climbing switch engaged - provided that your LSR and LSC suspension setting is spot on. Faster than the Enduro and almost on par with the Switchblade. I choose to ride the FB 29 in high setting - I prefer more clearance, better climbing, higher agility and playfulness over point and shoot composure. My rides are long and steep alpine tours and technical trails - more often than open, superfast park lines. That said, even in high setting the bike simply blasts downhill and its limits are still to be explored.

Chainring... I'd prefer 30 over 32...So, I have bought the One Up Switch with 28T oval to be at peace for those long climbs or week long alpine traverses. The tires needed a reshuffle with the DHF going to the rear and Shorty 2.5 to the front.

Price Paid: