Lynskey Performance Designs Ridgeline-120 29er Full Suspension

• 148 Boost spacing specific
  • 1X specific
  • 2.5" tire clearance
  • Horst link pivot design rear end
  • Enhanced main pivot design utilizing IGUS Bushings

[Jun 27, 2020]
BobbyDigital

OVERALL
Strength:

Sent from my iPhone Strengths- I agree with everything on Mikes post. It’s a real good review and spot on. His opinion on wheeling, drift, and headset spacer height is real. I also ride XC in South Texas and have been riding nice bikes since i was 14- I’m 35 now and still try to get after it. If you are reading this post, you are likely going to buy this bike or something similar. You are also probably deciding between this or a carbon Santa Cruz or Yeti, and have found that you can get this bike on sale to your spec for just a little more money. I am 5’9 175 and have the Medium with fox factory,boost, SRAM GX, and I9 trail s wheels. I love it! This is my 3rd Fs bike in the fleet. 1. Santa Cruz Superlight(Alu) 26er has bikepacked the Camino de Santiago, taken on the Whole Enchilada in Moab, raced in the Hill Country and climbed mountains in Nuevo León . It has seen 15 years of hard service and can do anything- I still think the anodized finish is the reason it hasn’t snapped...or it might be because it’s made in USA. 2.Giant Anthem Adv(Carbon) full xtr. 26er. It’s superlight, tight and fast. It can climb and Xc well, but can get sketchy on really technical downhill with xc geometry and head angle. It has a shorter wheelbase 3. FS 120 Ridgeline with I9 is what I went with and bought sight unseen... it was a little nerve racking spending that much money on a mail order bike... but that is the world we live in. In no particular order- here is why I went with FS-120 over all other nice bikes in this price range: 1. Price- I actually feel like I got more for my money because I didn’t have to spend additional money to get the I9 wheels I wanted. I really like the Santa Cruz lineup, but I didn’t like the factory wheels and at that time they were pushing the Sram NX groupo which I didn’t want. 2. I have always wanted a Ti mountain bike and I prefer full suspension. There is something mythical about a hand made full suspension Ti bike. All the other Ti makers were out of my price range. 3. Geometry- I love the SC superlight suspension design and the Horst suspension seemed to have a similar mannerism. After riding the Lynskey my theory was correct. The bike can confidently descend, and it can climb really well. I am way more capable on this bike... but Boost and 29er was a game changer in itself coming from 26. I feel like the geometry and footprint of this bike is an insurance policy. It’s super stable and no maj

Concerns: 1. I’ve got to keep up with maintenance- I don’t want Bb or headset to seize. This can happen with Ti, but these things comes with the territory. 2. Lateral stiffness and vertical compliance is what you want in a FS bike. Ti by nature bends. But I think design trumps material. I also think that boost makes the Ti FS possible. Is it as laterally stiff as an alu or carbon equivalent ? Probably not. I am okay with it. My carbon giant FS in theory is very stiff. But I cant tell a difference in stiffness on the FS-120 compared to my alu and carbon bikes. 3. Pulling a power wheelie takes an different technique due to the long wheel base and is taking some practice. I just installed a dropper and it’s a whole new world and worth the weight sacrifice. 4. This isn’t the lightest, fastest or best looking bike for this price. But if you want to try something new and are looking for a FS bike that will rip cross country, climb like a champ and descend with confidence. This could be the bike for you if you value the handmade aspect and potential durability that Lynskey offers. Plus, you will very rarely come across another rider on this bike-people will naturally spark conversation wanting to know more. Happy riding! Sent from my iPhone

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Jan 14, 2018]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Its TI, longer wheel base, Sweet look, Solid feel, great suspension, rust proof, climbs great, modern geometry, durable, no noticeable front end drift with climbing, Lynskey sale prices are awesome

Little heavier than carbon

I bought this bike to replace my Lynskey hard-tail after many years of fighting the current trend of going FS. I am mostly a cross country rider in Texas. I race a few times a year in longer XC events and Xterras. I ride a few times a week in a good week. I still love my hard-tail but will keep it for the smoother routes and gravel courses. When I finally decided to go FS I searched for several months and had played out all my options. The 2017 Lynskey Ridgeline 29er FS 120 kept popping up near the top of my list but I was super apprehensive to go that route because of one reason... Lack of information and reviews on the 2017 frames.

I have nothing against carbon frames, they are solid beautiful riding bikes, but with the rocks in Texas I just couldn't see dropping that kind of bank on something that will definitely get paint chips and potentially worse with the right hit. So then I narrowed it down to aluminum or Ti. I found out pretty quickly that I could get a Lynskey TI frame for less than aluminum if I waited for a sale. So two months later they went on sale and I took the apprehensive plunge into the unknown going purely on the trust from talking to the great guys at Lynskey.

Longer, slacker more stable was what I kept hearing... modern geometry. My hardtail was a good 5 years old, I knew where it fell short mostly the steep headtube angle. The 2017 Lynskey Ridgeline FS 120 came with a 67.5 deg headtube angle, a 74 deg seat tube and a wheel base almost 3" longer than my hardtail. In fact the wheel base was longer than most CX / trail bikes I compared it to. Big change from what I was use to. So I bought the frame on sale in early 2017 and built it up slowly over 4 months. I've been MTB riding since the late 90s and I know what I like and hand picked each component.

So 4 months after I bought the frame it was finally built and ready to ride. I immediately noticed a problem for me. I have long legs and stand 5'11", I bought the large frame. It was the right size but the headtube was much shorter than my hardtail and lower than I had anticipated. I like my handle bars even with or slightly lower than my seat (I don't ride a dropper post). To get this position would require 4" of spacers and looked ridiculous. I was rethinking my entire purchase, thinking I have just made a huge mistake. After a couple days of staring at it in the corner a solution dawned on me... riser bars!!! I researched riser bars for the next week and found that most carbon bars, my first choice, where way too long and could not be cut short enough because the strength areas where near the ends. Cutting them would put my brake clamps too far in and the manufactures did not recommend it. Next I moved on to aluminum and even though I could cut them to the right width I could not get them in the exact riser I wanted, riser was also an issue with the carbon bars. So lastly I researched custom bars. I found 2 or 3 manufactures that could build exactly what I wanted. In the end Oddity Cycles built me a custom ti bar 700 mm long 2.25" rise and 20 deg sweep. Yes the bars are shorter than what most new frames come with but I know for the riding I do 700 mm bars work perfectly and are stable enough for me. Oddity builds custom clunker ti frames and cool retro BMX style risers. The Razorbars are a piece of art and compliment the frame perfectly while functioning better than I could ever have wished. Problem solved bike is amazing looking, so how does it ride...

The 2017 Lynskey Ridgeline 120 rides like a dream. My biggest concern was the longer wheel base in the tight tree lined single track I ride. The wheel base make the bike super stable and predictable. No problems carving turns but it did take a few rides to get use to. The slacker headtube makes down hills and rock gardens much easier than my previous hardtails old school geometry. The 120 mm suspension is butter smooth and creak free for 3 months so far. 1x XT Shimano drive train shifts like a dream and the XT brakes are squeal free and stop on a dime. The wheel set is about as light as I could build and still use aluminum hoops. The wider rims really fit the tires well and hook up in the turns without rolling over.

In all my research I read slacker head tube angles make for a drifting front end during climbing. This was not the case for me. I think the longer wheel base plants the front end solidly during climbs especially in the rocky rutted ascents. I can climb far better on the tough stuff with my FS than I can with my hardtail. This could be the wheel base or the 120 mm of travel, regardless it is working for me. One thing I have noticed is that this bike does not like to wheelie. It doesn't have a problem hoping up on ledges but without a dropper post It doesn't like to wheelie. Again this is not an issue for me.

In summary Lynskey built an awesome FS bike, hopefully this review will help you with your decision making.