Kona Hei Hei 29er Full Suspension

Budding big-wheel-loving, up-and-coming riders of the world unite! Everything we've learned from seven years testing, training and trail destroying on 29ers comes together in this well-priced XC ripper. Built with perfectly refined geometry and precisely tuned suspension, the Hei Hei 29 features the incredible lightweight, strength and smooth riding characteristics of Kona Scandium 6069 Butted tubing.

• RockShox XC 32 TK 29er
  • SRAM X5/X7 10-speed drivetrain
  • WTB SpeedDisc All Mountain 29er rims
  • Shimano hydraulic brakes

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 28, 2020]
    PonderosaT

OVERALL
    Strength:

I own the 2019 Hei Hei CR DL and it is a great XC bike. I can take it down rowdier trails and it climbs like a beast. Great racing machine and I plan on keeping this bike up and running for a long time.

Haven't come across any! Maybe only room for 1 bottle but they changed that in the 2020 model

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2019
    [Mar 05, 2015]
    James

OVERALL
    Strength:

This bike has it all right out of the box. Excellent for XC racing. I've done several endurance length races on this bike and it's held up to the challenge with no problem. Very smooth and consistent. Climbing on this machine is a charm.

Cheap brake levers, but they'll work fine

Highly recommend, it's a great ride.

[Nov 24, 2013]
    Dave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Weight, handling,

only one water bottle mount ( which seems to be pretty much standard on FS bikes now.)

I love this bike. I have upgraded the wheels to Stans Crest Tubeless for offroad, and put some slicks on the original wheels for road. I get a lot of comments on the trail about the Kona. It's different from the run of the mill Giant/Trek bikes. I am faster on this bike than I was on my 26 FS ( according to Strava ), though they are both fun to ride. With my wheel changes, and replacement of seatpost/bars with carbon components from my prior bike, it's under 25 lbs with pedals.

[Mar 20, 2013]
    FloriDave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Value for Price
    Same spec frame has higher spec models
    Good blend of X5 and X7 components
    Quality tires

None really that I've found, the concessions like heavy wheels, house brand rear shock are there to hit a price point and they do exactly that. Other brands are the same or worse speced for the money as far as I can tell.

I'm loving this bike, though I did do a few upgrades right off the bat, before even riding it. At this point, I have about 15 hours, 150 miles of single track on the bike. Much of that rocks and roots, the Kona has eaten it up.

I set the stock wheels up with Kenda Komfort tires for road riding, and mounted the Maxxis tires on a set of Stans Crest wheels for my off-road setup. Running them tubeless. Removed the stock fork and put on a REBA RLT fork on it. Also pulled carbon seatpost, stem, flat handlebars with short bar-ends from my other bike. As I have it setup right now, it weighs 25.1 lbs with pedals, bottle cage, bar end on the handlebars, and the not lightweight tires, i.e. ready for the trails.

29 wheels are awesome, the Kona branded shock is actually working great for me, took about 4-5 hours of riding before it loosened up and started working though. For a while I thought I was going to replace it, but after 150 miles of single track I've put on it, it's working well and I'm keeping it.

Sram shifters are working great, as are the brakes. I will be racing this bike later in the year, and next year, I can easily get the weight into the 22-23 lb range by going to a 1x10 setup, and lighter tires/seat. I may not even bother though as the current setup seems to be working so well.

I definitely would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a 29r Full Suspension cross country bike. Others I considered were the Salsa Spearfish and the Giant Anthem, but I'm glad I got the Kona Hei Hei. I'd buy it again if something happened to this one.

GT I-drive

[Jan 26, 2013]
    ANDREW

OVERALL
    Strength:

weight

hubs

I just purchased the Kona Hei Hei DL and I am very disappointed. I just found out that the bike is not compatible with any bike trailers on the market due to the different size hub.

[Sep 30, 2012]
    Bill
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Climbs like a beast! Very fast, very well built. I've owned mine for 5 months and have really beat on it. Besides the wheels no issues.

Stock wheel set. Easily gets knocks outta true. Had to have m wheels trued probably 5-6 times so far. Crabs brothers iodine are in the future I think. It is an xc race bike. However I ride mine like an all mountain bike, that being said it can be alittle slow in down hill/ techy corner situations.

Great bike. Handles everything I throw at it. With a new wheel set it'd be pretty bullet proof. As much as i love this bike I think I woulda been even more happy with a satori.

[Jun 18, 2012]
    sweetp

OVERALL
    Strength:

Geometry, ride, handling, climbing.

Tires, brakes, wheels

I own the 2011 2-9 se. After 30 seconds on the bike, I knew that my months long search was over. It just feels great to ride, a pure pleasure. I have been riding this bike hard almost every day for 4 months now averaging 12 to 18 miles per day of single track. It has been getting ridden hard. The "Bike" (i.e. frame and suspension) has held up great and continues to please. Some of the components though have already met the grave yard. I have already had to replace the middle and small chainrings (a chain suck incident); The chain (probably damaged from the chain suck); and the wheels (bent rim from a wipe out).
    I also replaced the avid elixir 3 hydro brakes with BB7 mechanical discs after endless (I mean endless) fussing with the elixir's. The elixir 3's do not have a pad gap adjustment and they rub no matter what you do (common complaint). BB7's are perfect; and they are mechanical so I can fix them on the trail if need be.
    The Easton ea70 xc wheelset has proven to be too fragile for my riding style. It is a 24 spoke race wheel and I probably should be on a beefier rim with 32 spokes. Before I destroyed the front rim, I had to true about every other week which is not too bad for all the riding I do. Hubs are great.
    The Maxxis Aspen tires have no traction in the corners or in steep climbs. They actually scare me a little. They are great for pavement and rail trails though.
    The recon fork and fox shock have performed with out fail. I do not see any need to upgrade either unit.
    Derailleurs are fine too. I see no need to upgrade there either. Chain suck is a recurring problem that I have not been able to isolate yet. 10 speed chains are narrower which might cause more stick on the chain rings. I don't know.

I highly recommend this bike and brand to anyone looking for a new ride. You will find that the component spec on this bike is higher than other same priced brands.

Salsa Spearfish, Trek Superfly 100, BMC, Giant, Niner

[Apr 25, 2012]
    TxStateMTB

OVERALL
    Strength:

2012 Base Model - Durable components. Rear 12x142mm thru-axle - stiff, prevents mis-alignment and slip-out. Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29 - user serviceable & locks out with only a small amount of motion when out-of-the-saddle-climbing. Kona-Fastrax AF2 rear shock locks out and has a bypass if you hit a hard bump.

19" frame & base model components weigh in @ about 32 lbs. Shimano M446 Hydraulic brakes have relatively weak grip after initial burnishing (I weigh ~170) also, they have a tendancy to rub and groan.

I ride it on rocky XC limestone trails around central Texas and it absorbs the ledge drops/climbs and rolls over the babyheads in the rock gardens with less likelyhood of an endo due to the larger wheels. I changed the Speed Disc wheelset to my road set with 700x28c road tires on it and lock the suspension out completely for distance training. I have a lightweight wheelset, setup tubeless, for XC.

My Kona dealer tried to get me the frame only, but Kona refused. I figured I would sell the stock components but I decided to keep them until I could slowly upgrade the Kona components and keep my 2011 Niner E.M.D. 9 hardtail with all the higher quality, lightweight components.

Bonus: Kona provided Shimano XT rear hub and cassette (at least on the bike I received).

2002 Cannondale Super V 500

[Apr 10, 2012]
    Goat

OVERALL
    Strength:

+Weight--22 inch frame at 27 pounds
    +Parts Spec is hard to beat
    +Rear suspension is efficient climbing and pedaling, while still being active and smoothing out the ride
    +Formed Scandium tubing is beautiful

Just a general comment as I shopped around quite a bit before committing to this bicycle; how did good bikes get so expensive? I felt this part spec for this price was a good buy. I looked hard at Specialized Epic and Camber, Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly 100, and the new Cannondale Scalpel 29er. I happily ended up with this bike. But dang stuff gets expensive quick!

Kind of long story....I in fact wanted the Kona Hei Hei Supreme. I worked with my local Kona dealing bike shop, and found Kona had no more 22 inch Supremes to ship for the season. So we got the Hei Hei Deluxe frame, and swapped all parts out so that except for the color of frame (silver/black/lime green), I in fact ended up with the Supreme part spec on a 22 inch frame. Much kudos to my local bike shop for their flexibility and resourcefulness.
    This is my first dual suspension bike, after riding hardtails for 18 years. Now that I am 35, I find my back stiffens up after 2 hours in the saddle. Hands go numb after rockgardens. So why not try to get double the relief by getting a 29er with full suspension. So far, my plan is working perfectly! The ride is amazing. The ProPedal mode on my Fox RP23 is very cool for those long ginding climbs. My swapped out Ergon grips helped with the hand fatigue, and how about those 29 inch wheels? Pretty cool difference noticed in the momentum I keep on flats coasting. I feel less scattered in rockgardens as well.
    Research your bike purchase, ride/demo if you can. And one place you should look is the Kona Hei Hei 29 Supreme/Deluxe.

Barracuda A2M and Rocky Mountain Reaper

[Nov 19, 2011]
    kona 95

OVERALL
    Strength:

everything! after a solid year of riding it on dry fire roads, rock single track, roots, mud, etc., I cannot believe that it takes what i give to it and doesnt let me down. I look at Ellsworth Evolution and the suspension is similiar and this suspension design works better as a 29er than a 26! Kona and I got lucky!

Honestly, i cannot find anything once you get it dialed in. the stock FOX fork is so responsive ( way better than my reba), the FOX shock and pro pedal are still sealed and absorbs the little stuff. the frame is bomb proof.... i cant find any weakness now that i have the drivetrain aligned and clean.

Ive been riding since '93. Yep, getting old, but I am still super picky about how a bike makes me ride and feel. Some are slow and go, some are rip and fall, and some are fast, smooth ,and in control and enlightening.This bike is on the enlightening category. This Kona has grown on me to the point where I am NOT upgrading to a new carbon fiber 29er. Im going to really take care of it and upgrade to a light tubeless wheel set and add carbon bars, stem, seatpost,cranks, etc. I dont give out high ratings without using a product, so after a solid year of riding it 3-5 times a week, it deserves it. Its snowboarding season, and I still miss riding the bike, can't wait for spring.

Tallboy, Dos Niner, Truth, rip 9, pivots, spearfish

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.