Intense Spider 29er Full Suspension

Available At

Looking for that do everything 29'er full suspesion bike? Look no further than the Spider 29! With it's adjustable travel from 4.25" to 4.75" , you can build this frame up light for endurance racing with a 100 mm fork or build it up as an all-around, lightweight trail rig with 120 mm fork. Either way, this versatile platform will deliver podiums and smiles for miles to come. Features: -Adjustable travel 4.25?-4.75? (108mm-120mm), easily set at the upper link -Wide range geometry settings for racing and fast XC riding -49mm lower head tube and 44mm upper headtube allow you to run a tapered steerer fork -G1 rear dropout mount system accepts 142x12 Shimano, SyntaceX12, or standard 135QR dropouts -Direct mount front derailleur -Fox RPL stock shock -New impoved bearings with EZ-lock binder bolt main pivot system with replaceable zerk grease fittings -Redesigned proprietary tubset along with yoke & lower link machining for added rigidity and strength -World Cup, National, and World Championship winning VPP suspension platform

[Jul 07, 2013]
CaptDan

OVERALL
Strength:

$2650 (demo - complete bike) price.
Smooth & active suspension while seated, yet still a great, firm, out-of-the-saddle climber.
Confidence-inspiring.

Steering a little twitchy, rear wheel hangs on some climb obstructions.

I was in the market for a fairly light 29er with a rear suspension that would not sag under hard, out-of-the-saddle pedaling efforts. The Spider 29 fills that role very well.
The rear suspension is very active when seated and pedaling smoothly, then “stiffens-up” as the rider starts to reef on the crank. The transition is very seamless and unnoticeable unless you really focus on it. I have not noticed ANY pedal kick-back or other such driveline/suspension shenanigans.

15 to 20+ mph downhills littered with half-buried 6-10 inch diameter rocks is where this bike shines of course, but it also outclimbs my hardtail 29er, offering greater traction and allowing the rider to move around more without the rear tire breaking loose.

Some testers have felt that the headtube geometry is rather steep on the Spider 29. My bike (with a 140mm fork and “short” 4.25 inch rear suspension setting) is slacker than the normal setup, yet still feels a touch twitchy. A CaneCreek AngleSet headset with .5 degree of added steering angle will fix that.
Lack of ground clearance, or a too-low bottom bracket, has never been noticed.

One drawback to this rear suspension design is the tendency to stall or hang-up on “steps” – large roots or rocks – while climbing. This is not strictly limited to the Spider, as many riders of VPP, DW-Link, CVA, etc. bikes have experienced this phenomena. Simply paying attention (choosing a smoother line or anticipating the step) will keep this from being an issue. Better that than wheelspin, I would think.

I bought this bike as a demo, so it was already built. Curiously, it was assembled with more of an All-Mountain focus (isn’t that the Tracer’s realm?) so it came with a Fox Float 34 fork and beefy Novatech Diablo wheels. To lighten the bike, a Ritchey cockpit was swapped in and lighter SUN/Ringle Charger Pro wheels installed, set up tubeless.

The Intense Spider 29 is a very satisfying, confidence-inspiring bike. I am extremely pleased with mine, and my riding partners have already commented that I am faster on it!

1992 Fisher RS-1
1994 ProFlex 954
1996 ProFlex 856
2011 Specialized Epic 29

[Feb 04, 2013]
Jeff Blackmore

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, Lightness, Handling, Suspension, Cornering, Climbing, Great jumper too!

This bikes only weakness is that it's got me all over it!

I wanted a "can do everything bike". A XC racer, a Enduance machine, a Super-D smoker! With this rig I got it all! This bike feels great on the climbs and rips the down hills.

[Oct 17, 2012]
Mike Penciner

OVERALL
Strength:

Traction, climbing, descending, technical sections

weight, pedal strike, price

This bike does everything it claims to do - fast on the flats, climbs well (never loses traction, keeps on going as long as my legs hold out), descends with confidence. In short can handle anything you throw at it - cross country, singletrack, epic rides, etc. and made me 10-15% faster (timed on a variety of trails and conditions). Like most 29ers it doesn't encourage air time and offers a steady (some might say boring) ride, and I didn't have enough left on my budget to get really high-end (and light) components. Overall this bike is a huge improvement on the 26 full bike I rode previously (Felt Virtue), and is a perfect match for my riding style. Do I recommend it? Definitely!

[Oct 04, 2011]
David Alley

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick in the turns

none-I use the joplin 4 on the steeps and the thomson on the cross country.

As long as you check that the spacing with the washers on both sides of the vpp suspension link are the same and there is no slop-after you tighten the special aluminum bolts-along with marking the heads (directly above the "set" screws) of these bolts and then partly drilling 1/8 inch hole so the "set" screws can embed into the bolts-then the bolts will not come loose. You can then grease them (I know that they are sealed bearings) but I grease them anyway and tighten up the set screws. I have no problem and no slack in the rear end using this method. I know that Intense should have done this but by looking at the custom welds you can see the reason that the washers have to be different thickness. I sanded mine down by hand. They have to cover the "rim" on the bearings-This is the pre 2011 model and I have no knowledge of the new one. To keep the wheel straight I also use a washer on the cassette side because the frame materal along with the hanger is not enough to be tightened to stay. I love this bike..

Hardtail 29

[Dec 14, 2010]
presa

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling is fast and responsive. The VPP suspension is perfect for 29er. The paint is very durable and the welds are impeccable. Medium weight is 6.5 lbs

Not much clearance in back for a high volume tire. Little room to adjust front derailleur's high low screws. Stickers are not under clear coat, so they can scrape off easily. Head angle can be a little steep for certain conditions,, I have learned to get back behind the saddle and have never went over the bars on a drop.

I think this bike has def made me a better rider. It handles as fast as my Yeti ASR-sl and as smooth as my Yeti 575 did,, I've since sold both of those bikes because the Spider could provide the best of both worlds.
I am 160lbs and haven't noticed much flex from the rear, but it is there if you use your hand and rock it back and forth,, but a lot of bikes are like that...
I highly recommend this bike, I am the type to always check out new bikes and upgrade upgrade upgrade,, but i don't see where it is necessary anymore. I have found a good thing and
I'm going to stick with it.
I might eventually go to a SC Tall Boy once I've worn this one out or maybe the new Spider 229????

Kona Big Unit 29

[Mar 22, 2010]
2lits

OVERALL
Strength:

climbs well, love the handling , decent weight, rear is not flexy I weight 200lbs including gears.

low bb, rear tire clearance

lighter than my other bike, really makes me a better rider,I can handle more technical stuff with ease than before , with the bigger wheels it doesn't look really steep at all going down on technical stuff compared to my other bikes.

09 Stumpjumper Marathon HT

[Aug 09, 2009]
Mr_PirateGirl

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing, handling, pedaling, not too heavy, 29er.

low BB, horrible mud clearance, kinda flexy.

Great frame for a big guy, I usually ride an XL/21", in this frame I am a large.

Price was for the complete, new bike (shop dumping '08s when the '09s hit the floor), a deal I couldn't pass up.

Handles great, climbs awesome. Well balanced climber, keeps the front end down. Can be a little spooky on decents with the 3" fork, going to a 4" might help with stability, but I'm worried it would hamper the climbing, so I live with it.

Mud clearance is horrible, don't buy this bike if you ride in mud a lot (I usually don't, but had one nasty race because of it). The mud packs between the a swingarm brace that wraps around the tire, and the tire.

Handles technical stuff fine if you're prepared for the lack of stability, but the low bottom bracket makes it hard to get through some sections. I also have to run a lot of pressure (~280 psi) to sag to 20% for my 210 lbs.

All around a great XC race bike for someone who wants a 29er, and a great endurace bike. The Intense frames are pricey, so I knocked down the value some, and I think there are a few tweaks that could make this an overall 5 chilis.

RIP 9, a bunch of 26ers

[Jul 27, 2009]
da_alias

OVERALL
Strength:

Agile, feels like a long travel bike, amazing climbing traction. Killer welds and paint as usual from Intense

A little challenging to get the perfect position, limited F Der options, clearance tight for rear tires if they have a tall casing. Now what do I do with my 5.5 bike?

First, I'm not a newbie jumping on the 29er fadwagon. I've been riding 26" MTBs since 1992, my latest 26" bike was/is an Intense 5.5, before that a standard Intense Spider. Decided to try the 29er idea after getting a great deal on a fully rigid Fisher Ferrous 29er which was going to be my beater/camping bike. Liked the way it felt, so I put on a Minute fork and loved it. Now I knew there was something about this 29er handling I really liked. After much research, I decided on an Intense Spider 29er (big surprise I know but I've liked my previous Intense bikes so why switch) I found one in pearl white BNIB on ebay. Switched over the Fisher parts and I'm in love. I don't want to get into the 26 vs 29 technical arguement, they both have their merits. I can only speak from personal experience. I'm faster and more comfortable on this bike all around and I now clear sketchy technical climbs I never could before. I haven't noticed any of the twitchy tendencies mentioned in other reviews but I've been on Intense bikes for the last 5 years so I'm probably used to quick steering already. I also haven't noticed rear end flex. This bikes makes me flow more on the trail, leaning more and steering less. A little squirely at nearly stopped technical manuevers but not unmanageable at all. If you have a chance to ride this bike do it! But be prepared to have a different opinion of your 26" when you r done.

5 chilis for value-thanks bestbikevalues!
5 chilis for overall

Fisher Ferrous, Niner, Rig.

[Apr 05, 2009]
Mikestre

OVERALL
Strength:

Light for a 29er (27.5 lbs). Climbs great, Rolls fast! I can out climb all of my friends on the steep techny stuff on this bike. Once you get used to the handling of a 29er you'll never want to ride a 26er again.

Flexy rear end, although not noticeable if you have the right amount of air in the rear shock. I broke the shock bolt once and i am about to change the rear bearings. I bought the bike used so I'm not sure of the mileage on it.

This is an awesome bike! I love riding it, but you have to be okay with the high maint. If its set up right its a dream of a ride (and you don't notice the flex). If its NOT, its a nightmare and makes you work hard! I find if I fill the rear shock to my riding weight in lbs (including my camelbak) and the tires in the 25-28 psi range this bike just floats over everything in its path with incredible comfort. I love it!

None.

[Apr 02, 2009]
greg-rt34

OVERALL
Strength:

rear suspension

flex

I just finished riding the Cape Epic on this bike. It was new and unridden, and my first time on a 29er. The length of the race gave lots of time to stress test the bike. The bike is noticeably smoother than my 26" Spyder. The big wheels flatten out the terrain and provide excellent traction on gravely climbs. As usual the VPP suspension works so well you don't even notice it. The bikes pivots are as smooth as they were when the bike was new. The only negative is the flex in the rear triangle. It is noticeable in certain situations. It is not enough though to discourage me from recommending the bike. The geometry is quick enough for tight single track, and is stable at high speed.
As a side note I am now a believer in the 29er movement. The platform does accelerate slower, but the additional traction and smoothness more than compensates for this. It also allows you to roll over obstacles with ease. The rocky terrain of the Cape Epic was well suited for this type of bike.

Syper XVP (26), Scott Ransom

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.