Intense Primer 29er Full Suspension

Designed for the big wheel, trail enthusiast, the Primer 29 sports 4.5” or 5” of rear wheel travel on an extra wide, Boost 148 rear end. The carbon front and rear triangles provide an exceptionally stiff yet comfortable ride that is light and nimble. The bike is race ready and features internal cable routing, 160mm post mounts and protective flak guards as standard amenities.

[Jun 23, 2017]
Richard

OVERALL
Strength:

Best bike I have ever ridden. Felt one with the machine on first pedal stroke. Handling in turns, power up hills is amazing. Just fun to ride. I used to ride a Blur years ago and loved the way the bike climbed with the VPP. There were still steep rocky climbs I could not do on any of my 29ner that I had made with the old 26'er using VPP. Read reviews about pedal feedback for older models of Intense VPP. Simply not true for the Primer. Amazing bike. I am 5'10" and went with large foundation build. I replaced the wheels with I9 Trails wheels, and left the rest alone. The rock shock rear shock works, but someday would want to replace it because I have run really high pressure with it to keep it firm (like 250lbs) I weight about 185 lbs

I just switched out from niner Jet RDO, where I had a few bad crashesgoing over the bars with it and in technical terrain always had at least one 'gottcha' moment with the Jet RDO, where you almost go over the bars. Never ever had that yet in the three months of riding with this bike. The head tube angle is perfect. I thought the rock shock fork would not be anywhere near as good as the Fox Float I was running, but it feels actually better except a tiny bit heavier.

In summary this bike is amazingly fun to ride and even though its not a cross country bike I keep up with people on fast cross country rides without a problem and would consider it for racing.

For foundation build, the rear rock shock. Can't get it firm enough.

Perfect bike. Bought through Randy at Filz bikes, very helpful on setup.

(Team XXL)

Niner MCR, Jet RDO Niner

[Nov 17, 2016]
Tom Bjelic
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Geometrey, Light, Stiff, Improved VPP design, Internal Cable Routing, Collet Style Bolts.

Price,

I've now got several hundred kilometers on my Primer and it is without a doubt a phenomenal trail bike. I came off an Intense Spider Carbon Comp and the Primer raises the bar significantly in terms of quality and performance. All the issues I had with the Spider have been rectified on the Primer. Collet style bolts keep the pivot bolts from working loose and a new carbon swing link is stronger than the old aluminum version. ( I went through 2 on the Spider) The Geo puts you in a very confidence inspiring position on the bike and wether I'm climbing up ski hills or railing down tight corners I always feel like I'm balanced and in the right position on the bike. Corners are a treat, the bike feels good leaning in fast and hard and it's stiffness allows you to accelerate and break out of turns with exceptional speed and accuracy. The beefed up bottom bracket and rear triangle made a significant improvement over the carbon Spider. I'm running 2.4 tires front and back and there is good clearance. I could see Mud being an issue with the tightly packed bottom bracket area. Lots of little hard to get to areas to try and clean out but the Zert grease ports make maintenance so easy. Flushing out the crap is a breeze and I was very happy to see Intense still spec'ing their frames with grease ports. I still can't understand why more companies aren't using Zert fittings. One of my complaints with climbing on the Spider in the small ring was the amount of feedback I could feel against the chain. Almost like a small amount of tugging when the suspension was active. It never felt completely smooth. However, this isn't the case with the Primer. The new JS tuned VPP design eliminated that negative feedback, I don't feel it at all. I'm not certain of this but it feels like there is even more stand over clearance than on the Spider but I no longer have the frame to make a direct comparison, but it feels like the top tube drops a lower and it's the same Large frame size and I can still run a water bottle, Nice! Not sure what more I can say other than for how I ride, where I ride, and how I like things to feel, the Primer is a total home run. They killed it with this model.

Intense Spider Carbon Comp, Santa Cruz Nomad, Blur, Titus Switchblade, Racer X, Turner Sultan

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.