Gary Fisher Rumblefish II 29er Full Suspension

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, DRCV shock mount, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm Elite 29, Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano XT Direct Mount front derailleur, Shimano XTR Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano XT shifters, Shimano XT M770 crank, Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F120 FIT RLC 29, 120mm travel, G2 Geometry; Custom Fox Float RP23 with DRCV, 110mm travel, Boost Valve, 3-position Pro Pedal

[Mar 01, 2012]
fotocellar

OVERALL
Strength:

Not too heavy. 28.6 lbs when I firs received it. This weight is quite good given it's 29er and non-carbon. Climbs well, even with pro-pedal not engaged. I have no idea why some don't think it climbs well.

Quality control, pricy.

Good bike over all, but quality control is questionable. Freehub had to be replaced in 6 months, and rear shock started playing, even with all the screws are tight, 9 months since purchase. It's now sitting at the shop waiting for Trek to decide whether warranty is applicable.

[Oct 18, 2011]
Michel

OVERALL
Strength:

Downhill - this 29er inspires confidence and fun due to its speed and handling when descending.. Hooyah!
It gobbles up rough terrain with ease, awesome suspension and handling for a larger bike. I used to be afraid of log-overs but now they are fun!

Rear suspension - lockout feature on the Fox became inoperable after first few trail rides.

This bike does it all. I went from a Schwinn 26" bike with caliper brakes to the Rumblefish 2 so it felt like trading a YUGO for a BMW!! Love this bike, it handles any kind of terrain with ease. I feel so much more confident riding this bike!!

[Sep 11, 2011]
Grrrrrrrr

OVERALL
Strength:

Shifting seemed to snap compared to the relative lethargic drop/climb of the same exact shifter/derailleur types of my current bike that is 5 years older. It's much more stable and nimble than you'd expect on the trail than it is riding it around your LBS. Typical 29er strengths, although nothing else seems to stand out after only 30 miles of riding.

Pedal bob... Again, it has a newer version of pretty much the same suspension on my current bike but the pedal bob is HORRIBLE. The Bontrager 29-3's are easily the worst tires I have ever ridden on. Handlebars are not wide enough for the XL frame.

I am 6'6" 230+ and I demo'd the 21" for about 30 miles total. It's obviously a tad too short for me but I tried to leave out those inherent disadvantages as best I could. I am pretty much sold on the 29er but not sure about this particular bike. But, even with the handlebars being too short and the tires lacking a lot of cornering ability and not having the suspension dialed in correctly I thought the bike handled surprisingly well. At $3500+, I would cautiously recommend this bike.

Starting out, the suspension was not tuned very well for me. So, before I got it fine tuned I was literally bouncing over rocks that would have had me over the handlebars in my 26er. There were numerous other situations when I didn't feel confident I was not going to remain upright but afterward I thought "there's no way I could be that unstable in my 26er without crashing." After I got the suspension dialed in the descending was flawless and VERY fun. Climbing was always a breeze, even with the suspension out of whack.

None. I have ridden other 29er on the trails but none have been even close to fitting me.

[Aug 16, 2011]
Shane Fisher

OVERALL
Strength:

great all around bike. My first 9'r, and I love it. Just as good in corners, up hill, and flats as a 26. Better on the down hills.

I blew up the rear hub after 2.5 months use. No abuse, just normal trail use. Not ok. Trek is replacing it, It's just taking the forever to do it. I'm on three weeks now and still no hub.

It's a great bike and I'd recomend you buy one if your in the market. I think the hub was a fluke. Just wish Trek would get on their poopy and get me a wheel already.

[Jul 08, 2011]
Tom Matthews

OVERALL
Strength:

DESIGN! Makes its own lines, don't have to follow old trails. FAST! (except uphill, weight penalty) Nimble, smmoth, foregiving. Just like the first time, again. All smiles when I thought I had written mountain biking off.

Brake pads replaced in first week. ALSO, don't like the SRAM shifter that doesn't allow shifts up or down with fingers. Thumb only actuation.

The best bike I have ever ridden, bar none. I rode a TITUS that didn't work like this one. I look for stuff to hit wondering when it will show signs of weakness. This is what real mountain bikes should act like. I am riding again and enjoying techincal, fast trails, and even climbs like never before. It climbs like a mountain goat. Never lifts the front wheel. How do they do it?!

First 29er. Last bike was and EVO, FUEL, COVE, KLEIN.

[Apr 08, 2011]
BentJammer

OVERALL
Strength:

G2 design, suspension design, ABP design, solid frame. Handled really nice on tight technical s-track. Elixir brakes were very good.

Rider is too weak, but the bike still nailed some tuff switchbacks that are always a handful on my old Fuel 100.

Really nice back country bike, spent a day sweeping the race at Dragon's Back west of Roanoke, VA. This thing was impressive in the rocks, climbed switchbacks like a champ - longer wheelbase than I am used to - but it can flat get it on the downhills. Handled better than the Rockstar - no weird 29er feel. Also the suspension felt more dialed than the R-Star, just seemed faster through the rough stuff, more natural steering - almost telepathic. Suspension set up was great - did most of the climbing on the ridge with the Pro-Pedal off and it really got the job done.

With a few tweaks this would be a real race machine for those super rocky courses, otherwise perfect out of the box.

GF Super Fly 100, Titus Rockstar

[Mar 11, 2011]
Woody13Fox

OVERALL
Strength:

Instantly makes you a more confident rider. The bike is money...it doesn't care what line you pick, it holds and rolls it! Drops? No problem. Off-camber climbs and descents? HA! Someone finally figured out how to build a REAL all-mountain bomber.

Some say heavy...well, what do you expect from an all-mountain 29'er? Duh! The Rumblefish II is within 1 or 2 pounds of similarly equipped 26'ers. If you want light, buy a HiFi or Superfly...me? I'd break lighter bikes in two in less than a week! If you ride on real trails with real rocks and roots and technical terrain, this is your machine. Weight weannies and cross-country geeks look elsewhere.

Technical terrain dream-machine perfect for fearless warriors and larger riders. One of the few bikes that lives up to the marketing hype. Of all the bikes I've ridden (and I am a shop mechanic, so I've ridden 'em all), only the Pivot 429 is even close. Buy it and enjoy!

HiFi Pro 26'er, Adept Comp, 429, Mach 5.

[Mar 06, 2011]
Al Sanders

OVERALL
Strength:

Drive train components, handling, suspension, cornering and climbing ability.

None so far.

This is by far the best bike that I'be ridden as an overall package. Although the Niner is a very plush machine on rocky descents, it pales in comparison when climbing, cornering and clean downhill trails. Having ridden 26" bikes for over 10 years, I did not feel any difference in handling although climbing was a little tougher on the legs and the lungs; nothing better conditioning won't fix. The drive train works well under pressure and the tubeless wheel conversion allows for better grip due to the lower tire pressure. This bike flies on descents and is extremely easy to maneuver, I hardly felt any difference even on tight switch backs.

Specialized Stomp Jumper 29er, Specialized Epic 29er, Niner.

[Feb 06, 2011]
Dre van de Meerendonk

OVERALL
Strength:

Size, stability and strength. Combined with the Shimano XT it is a fine piece of equipment.

Rear suspension. Spring - Fox Float RP 23. Spring is too soft. Even in the firm position with 275 psi one still has a spring distance of nearly 2". Currently on my second spring and problem persists.

Loved the Hifi Pro. Do not like the rumblefish II only because of rear suspension. If Gary Fisher can solve this issue than it would be a fantastic bike.

Hifi Pro 29. Great bike with excellent spring

[Nov 08, 2010]
ScottXB

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability
Sure Footed
Efficiant Climber

I have been riding Mt Bikes off and on for almost 20 years. I come to riding trails on Mt. Bikes from a lifetime of enduro riding off road M/C's. So when it comes to trail riding, I learned most of what I know from the saddle of a motorcycle.

Living on the fringes of Los Angeles trail riding a M/C is not very practicle, so I have sold the Moto's and have been 100% Mt Bike for some time. I ride nothing but full suspension Mt. Bikes, but have never been entirely comfortable on them. When compared to a M/C they always feel so "sketchy" and unstable in any type of technical terrain. I have taken more than my fair share of spills that were due to instability compared to M/C's.

29'rs seemed an interesting alternative, but they started out as Hard Tails and took so long to really embrace a run at a full suspension all mountain execution with all the latest bells and whistles 26's had. When I saw the spec's on the Rumblefish I knew it was just what I was looking for, a top spec long travel All Mountain Bike, but shoed with 29's........... so I decided to pull the trigger

What a difference, it is another world for me. I was able to ride on familar terrain I have done many times on a 26" FS ........ Up the twisty single tracks of Tapia Cyn and then down the same. The thing just Flys (up and down) and does everything I was looking for it to do. It is so much more stable and it is providing the bridge between the stable feel of a offroad M/C and a light sketchy MTB that made me fear every obstacle a M/C would laugh at on the same trail.

The Fish is very stable and sure footed inspiring confidence launching into every trail situation........ and I don't notice any slowness in steering or any other compromise, it just did everything just in a much more sure footed way. It peddles great, it desends even better

So 5 Flamming Chilies for a fantastic Trail Bike that will allow me to not fear trail obstacles as in the past , but attack trails inspite of them......... So if you are looking for stability and confidence, the Rumblefish is a Great solution!

1st 29'r Ive owned. Came off a Specialized FSR circa 1999

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.