Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29 29er Full Suspension

• Frame: 6011 hydroformed butted aluminum mainframe & stays, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry, top swing magnesium link, E2, ABP
  • Wheels: Bontrager Rhythm Elite 29 Disc, Bontrager XDX tires
  • Componentry: Shimano XT Direct Mount front derailleur, SRAM X.9 rear derailleur, SRAM X.9 shifters, Shimano XT M770 crank, Avid Elixir R hydraulic disc brakes
  • Suspension: Fox F100 FIT RL 29, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown; Fox Float RP23, 110mm travel, Boost Valve, 3-position Pro Pedal, custom race tune

[Feb 28, 2014]
Robby D

OVERALL
Strength:

Gary Fisher did it again!!! Everything... Don't listen to the brake complaints. They work wonderfully for me and I couldn't be happier. They stop on a dime and if they aren't functioning properly they need to be faced square to the bike or they'll squeak like crazy... but that's ANY set of hydraulic disk brakes. This bike is still relevant 5 years later as a serious bike for just about any use. I use it as an all mountain bike as I weigh in at about 145. I don't need more than 4 inches of travel. If you're a big dude... you might consider something with more travel. I have this bike set up soft and I can't bottom it out no matter how hard I try. Shifters... amazing. One could complain they are flimsy but I don't agree. I think they're well protected by the brakes and shifting this bike is a dream. The ride is plush without losing pedal power. Responsive without feeling like I'm careening out of control at any speed. The best part of this bike for me (being that I'm a lightweight) It weighs in with pedals at 27.2 lbs. I have a CF handlebar and a seatpost to shave a pound or so. But I also ride 2.35 panaracer rampage tires which make up for the weight differential. It's amazingly light and springy around corners. I can pedal all day on this thing and I find myself running up hills at a decent clip rather than stomping my legs off trying to force it up. Shocks are amazing, simple, easily adjustable, and keep the wheels on the ground better than anything I've ridden including newer treks... I think the weight is the reason.

Not for a big guy I think. I may be wrong but I think at over 180 you'd want more travel front and rear, and a bigger downtube. This one is only 27.2mm and I'm waiting until Thomson releases its 420mm dropper post this spring. That's my only complaint as newer bikes have the bigger and now more standard downtube size. People complain about the brakes but honestly tires are more important than brakes because it's not hard to lock them up and skid all over the place. A well functioning cantilever brake can have the same result. Just feather the brakes and you'll slow down. The whole hydraulic thing isn't exactly a gimmick, but maybe it's less important than you think. Again... I can't vouch for all the Clydesdale's out there who need a little more gusto in their braking but honestly technique seems more important to me.

Get it, it's a damned good bike and still relevant today. There are a few compatibility issues with upgrading such as the downtube diameter, but being a lighter guy this bike kills it. Gary Fisher made the best bikes of its time and Trek paid dearly to make a competitor an ally. That's saying something because Trek makes amazing bikes. Gary Fisher spent a lot of money to bring us 29ers that are the next level in biking. This bike was 5 years ahead of its time and could sell now for exactly what it sold for before, and it does as it's been redubbed the Trek SuperFly. Fantastic bike, my second Gary Fisher, and worth every penny.

[Nov 26, 2012]
Tom Emerson

OVERALL
Strength:

This 2009 is light for a full suspension bike.

Avid Elixir rear brake howl and vibration.

2009 bike is a great ride. I love the suspension adjustability. It climbs well and has enough travel to descend rough terrain pretty fast. This is my first 29er and I'm never going back!

The Elixir rear brakes have been a constant problem. Howling and vibration has been there since day 1. No one has a solution outside of changing the brakes. This shouldn't be happening on a $3000+ bike from Gary Fisher. My bike is in the shop having new brakes installed. Avid should be paying this bill!

[Nov 21, 2012]
Jason

OVERALL
Strength:

Love the handling, climbing, flowing trails and switchbacks. This bike also looks great. Light weight for a full suspension 29er, around 27 lbs.

Thru Axle front fork and internal cable routing are on my wish list. The fork isn't flexy but I like the thought of perfectly installed front wheel with no brake rub. The wide handlebars handle great but I am likely to catch them on a tree.

I bought the 2011 HiFi Pro in September 2012 when the 2013 models were just being released. I decided to check out my local bike shop to see if they had anything that could compete with some of the online bike shops. I got a great deal on this holdover so I decided to pull the trigger - and I'm sure glad I did. This bike climbs well, descends well and handles switchbacks very well too. The geometry fits me perfectly and the bike actually feels much smaller than it is. The HiFi Pro noticeably lighter than the 29er hardtail than I replaced, will be even lighter when I do tubeless conversion next season. Mixed XT/X9 drivetrain? No complaints. I really like the SRAM X9 shifting as it feels more solid than my 2008 Shimano XT. XT crankset and front derailuer work great too. The suspension is also quite smooth and pedal bob has not been an issue. I would only use Propedal on the road or a seriously long climb.

1997 GT Timberline (commuter bike w/ slicks, fenders etc), 2008 Motobecane Fantom 29 (great bike for the money, sold)

[Jan 01, 2012]
fire_chicken70

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight. Efficient climber. Great handling.

The swing arm breaks. The 28 spoke wheels flex. Frame has lateral flex.

This bike is an efficient climber that handles very well. The G2 geometry makes this bike feel like a 26er. The swingarm on my bike broke and since it was over 2 years old, Gary Fisher would not warranty it. They did not have swingarms available so I had to buy a new frame, which ended up being an aluminum superfly hardtail. I have seen a few other reviews about the swingarm breaking. I was told they changed the design on the newer models. The 28 spoke bontrager wheels flex a lot. I upgraded these to 32 spoke stans arches which helped a lot. The rear linkage flexes laterally and makes the bike wallow thru turns. I enjoyed the bike before it broke. I now have a Giant Anthem 29er which addresses all the issues I had with the HiFi. Much stiffer laterally and gives a lot more feedback.

Santa Cruz Blur. Giant Anthem 29er. Trek Aluminum superfly 29er

[Oct 21, 2011]
JEMZIMBO

OVERALL
Strength:

Gary Fisher name

Bontrager wheelset

I bought this bike exactly a year ago. I have covered approximately 6000kms and ridden in three 3 day events, fun rides and training. First to go was the bb bearings, followed by the bontrager rear hub. I changed to mavic crossmax wheel set which made a major difference.
The latest issues have been the coating in the forks stanchion tubes has worn away, & the rear triangle cracked, aluminum, which was covered by warranty.
I believe the 2012 model is vastly improved but I think these bikes are for recreational use rather than hard riding by big guys, I am 112 kg.

[Apr 17, 2011]
Dirk

OVERALL
Strength:

By far the best of the bikes I've ever taken on the road or trail.

Poor documentation on the recommended pressure to put into the frame shock

Well worth the money. The quality of the bike is fantastic and the 29" tires allows for great clearance and agility on the trails.

Bull, Takara, Raleigh

[Sep 08, 2010]
LeftyG

OVERALL
Strength:

G2 geometry - makes steering much better in tight stuff. Nothing rolls like 29-inch wheels! Great looking bike.

Low BB, thus you'll hit your pedal at the 6 o'clock position. Stock Bont. tire has no bite for cornering. Changed it to Maxxix Ardent - Yeah! Handlebar too wide. I cut it down.

Steep climbs would make my rear tire break loose when standing. I was "dancing" too much trying to make it stick. Added bar-ends (remember those). What a difference! Climbing is a breeze now - standing or seated.

Demo'ed some 29er hard tails. I like the "couch".

[Sep 06, 2010]
supercal20077

OVERALL
Strength:

G2, weight after upgrades, climbing, cornering and downhill handling.

Rear brake, stock componets and little heavy (beach crusier feel)

I purchased this bike early May of 2010 and have put about 1100 miles on it. I am 100% satisfied with this bike after the upgrades as the stock bike was a little heavy. I am amazed every time I ride this bike, the handling of this rig, total confidence in cornering, downhill, and it climbs like a rocket! I find myself having to slow down in singletrack as it rolls a litle quicker than I can handle. I will never go back to a 26 in bike! test ride one and you will be hooked!

2007 Supercaliber 26 in

[Jun 16, 2010]
Tim Dodd

OVERALL
Strength:

Rolls over and up everything, maintains speed on rough terrain allowing me to clean more sections than my skills deserve. Coasting through rough sections, it maintains speed that slows others. Solid handling builds confidence.

Brake vibration and noise that dealer cannot solve. Brake jack, rear suspension stiffens under braking. I find myself letting go of the brakes to get through rough sections.

Love everything about it but the rear brake makes horrible noises and sends evil vibrations through the saddle spoiling the ride. Dealer has tried everything, finally replacing the brake set, frame, improved, but still not nice.

StumpJumper 26"

[May 08, 2010]
Jeepruby

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame, comfortable ride

Finally got my 10 hifi pro after an insane wait. Bike is advertised by fisher as an aluminum superfly 100. The bike is definitely not setup as a race bike. Giant bars, big fat tires, and low end wheels. This is my first 29er. I am digging the comfort over my epic. But, no doubt my epic is ridiculously fast compared to this bike. I've trimmed the bars. Getting new tires and if I can dig up some cash I will get a more high end wheelset. Also plan to switch to 2x10 in 2011. The only problem that I have had is that the mounting hardware for the rear brake caliper was hitting the rear disc making a weird squealing noise. I had tobfile down the hardware to correct it. It could not be adjusted to not contact the disc. For me the jury is still out on this bike. In the meantime I will train on this bike and race the epic. Feel free to contact me with questions.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.