Funk La Ruta 29er Full Suspension

Weighing in under 22 pounds for a full suspension 29er, the La Ruta is just what the all around XC rider is looking for. We could go on and on about the La Ruta but we feel it's better to direct you to our customers who do a great job describing the features and benefits of the bike. Please check out the "Rider Reviews" section to find out more. Custom sizes and angles available.

[Aug 22, 2020]
Truth!

OVERALL
Strength:

That last review got under my skin, so I am actually had to respond. I rode and raced on a early laRuta for so many years I forgot how many. I think it was 7! Unheard of amounts my friends whose 10k bikes last 3-4 before its either whooped out or they are lustIng after the next best thing... Then I got lured by a team deal on a fantastic plastic full suspension. After I broke it in a season, I circled back to a updated LaRuta. LOVE IT!WHooossssh! It’s fassst! It ‘s a full suspension with the weight of a hard tail. It burrrrrns through roots and rocks. The traction is unbelievable. I can stand and get sick traction so much more. NO PIVOTS to wear out. I was shocked how fast I roached the pivots on the plastic bike. The acceleration a noticeable difference. Like the difference between stock wheels and a set of i9’s. Plus its the springlyness of sweet-sweet ti! Ohh and the durability. Three years from now I can send it back for a fresh beast last and I have a new bike. Plastic in three years will likely be in the recycling, except they don’t recycle Chinese carbon, painted in Taiwan. My money is where my mount is, and I circled back to Daryl. So much so, now I have sold off all my carbon and having him build me a Whistle Pig gravel bike.

Costs, but you get what you pay for. It’s hand made in Colorado, using us sourced titanium. Built to last over the long haul. Will last 2-3, plastic frames maybe more!

Price Paid:
2019
[Feb 21, 2017]
Williams

OVERALL
Strength:

Light frame that's well made

Outdated: suspension design too simple (open-mode on shock...severe bobbing!); geometry is long stays, steep head tube

This is a good bike, but not a great one - at least not by the latest standards, and not for the money. The simplicity of the flex blade suspension is nice, and it certainly makes the bike light, but it has some notable downsides. The effective pivot location is poor and it therefore relies heavily on the platform of the shock to prevent bobbing. In open-mode, the bobbing is so bad that I never used it in any scenario where I might need to pedal. In trail mode, with platform set firm, the pedaling is efficient, but the ride is not something you could accurately call "plush". Yes better than a hardtail, but not competitive with other XC full suspension bikes. I think part of that perceived firmness is also due to the amount of travel: Funk claim 80mm, but not sure what that's based on because according to what I measured, the truth is really somewhat shy of 60mm!?! So that makes this bike more of a soft-tail by class, rather than FS.
Chain stay length on the bike is almost 18" which is at least 0.5-1.0" longer than where the top 29ers are now. The bike feels quite stable on straight fast downhills, but doesn't get around tight switchbacks as well, and lifting the front wheel is harder. The long rear is paired with a steep head angle which is fine in some situations, but definitely not confidence inspiring on technical descents. This is old-school 29er geo, and I feel like the market moved beyond it for a (good) reason.

[Apr 15, 2016]
Clymbo

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, Weight, Performance

There is no downside other than that I will no longer allow any bike shop mechanic to touch my La Ruta because I'm the only one I trust to work on it.

I've had my La Ruta for about a year. About 8 years ago, I switched from aluminum to carbon fiber full suspension XC frames and I went through 7 cf frames in 7 years. In each case, the frames were deemed manufacturer defects and replaced under warranty (Normal xc riding, I weigh 155 lbs, nothing unusual). Each time I would be without a bike for a 3 weeks to a couple months, when the shop rebuilt the bike for free, I'd still spend money tipping my mechanics and often I'd end up with unwanted color schemes because it's all that was available. At some point, I concluded that for me at least, carbon fiber is an inadequate frame material, (I have never had a problem with carbon fiber wheels and components, just frames). I started looking for cf alternatives and was surprised how over complicated and heavy most titanium builder's fs frames are. None of the Full Suspension designs of the various Titanium builders appealed to me at all until I saw a photo of the La Ruta. Some say that titanium makes little sense for fs because the absorption qualities of the metal aren't really used in fs. Maybe that's true, but the flex plate (instead of pivots) does take advantage of the fatigue life of the titanium. The titanium flex plate just makes sense to me. (I had a carbon fiber fs frame that was pivot-less (designed to flex) and it did not last long before developing a crack, later the flex design of that cf frame was abandoned by the manufacturer in favor of heavier pivots).

My biggest goal with this frame though was that titanium would be more durable and I could stop having to constantly replace frames. If you ride a lot, rocks and things will eventually fly up and hit your frame. With a carbon fiber frame a rock strike sounds like a sickening hollow "thunk" noise and half the time it leaves a mark that may or may not be cosmetic. I remember the first time I had a rock strike happen on the La Ruta while descending a fire road that had gravel. It was not a hollow thunk, It was a high pitched, short muted "ting". There are no marks at all or scratches from minor normal riding like I had frequently with cf frames. I cleaned my bike last week out in bright sunlight and the frame still looks new after riding it a year. All I have is a little strip of helicopter tape on the chainstay under the chain. I used to cover 50% of my cf frames with tape in a futile attempt to protect them.

Being able to customize the geometry turned out to be a bigger benefit than I expected. I've always been kind of stuck between Medium and Large size frames. I had them match the geometry of my existing frame plus add a little length based on what I guessed I wanted. It turned out perfect even though I was worried that I had wrong (you will be worried too if you order one).

It took me about a year and a half from the time I first contacted Funk to actually make the decision. The price was not a small amount to me but I have no regret at all. They helped me make some good choices to keep the weight of the bike low. The bike weighs 21 lbs 12 oz at the moment, which incredibly is slightly, less than by carbon fiber Full Suspension bike. (xx1, Race King cranks, heavyish Race King tires with flat Protection and sealant, Lefty, mcfk steerer tube). Also, on timed training rides there is no difference compared to what I could do on my old CF bike. Prior to riding the La Ruta, I was worried about stiffness etc making me slower but there's no problem with any of that.

Cannondale Scalpel

[Apr 25, 2014]
Lee

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, Comfort, Handling

Just broke in my new XL La Ruta and all I can say is WOW! What an incredible piece of engineering. It completely changes the mountain biking experience and is worth every penny. You still have to actually peddle the bike yourself, but just barely.

Thank you Funk!

[Mar 20, 2013]
smartyj

OVERALL
Strength:

light and fast, strong and durable, versatile-set up single speed or geared

I'm writing this review after owning my LaRuta for about a year. I have an XL with stock sizing. This bike has provided all that I was looking for in my "last" bike. After 3 years of mtn biking, half on a 26" HT and half on a Niner Rip, I finally knew a few things I wanted on this bike. It had to be light and strong and would hopefully accommodate single speed setup. I hit a homerun! This XL bike weighs in between 23.5 lbs. and 25lbs depending on the set up. Crest or Arch wheels, shimano spd pedals, thompson stem and post, elixcir cr brakes, and ritchey carbon bars with canecreek bar ends. Lots of room for weight reduction if wanted, but I like durability! This bike helped make my xc season fun and successful, as well as helped me complete my first NUE race at the Mohican 100. Getting ready for the Cohutta 100 this spring. As an athlete who likes to push a little I also crash hard once in awhile, and the nature of carbon fiber although very light made me hesitate. Unfortunately I will probably break before the ti does! A metals expert talked to me about the flex cycles of ti and it's life span and again, unfortunately, the ti will probably outlive me! The last feature I was looking for but wasn't a high priority was to run it singlespeed. After considerable searching I realized I may be asking too much. But I kept coming back to the LaRuta. Last fall after breaking a DR and riding out singlespeed I decided to get a White Industries Eno hub and break adapter and have ridden 10-15 times on the same Brown County trails I always ride without any issues. I would ride full squish or locked out without any problems! When was the last time you rode fully suspended ss?! My back thanks you Funk! Coming from a 57 year old with bad knees and back! As for the more suptle ride characteristics I will yield to the more experienced riders. All I can say is The LaRuta has delivered. It is light and fast and durable and is a blast to race and ride recreationally. It is great on singletrack whether smooth or rugged and makes the long gravel rides much more comfortable. Thanks to Dave and the Funk team for all the email correspondence with quick replys and helpful tips and suggestions. This made the ordering and buying process smooth and comfortable. This continues as my need for decals and hangers triggers a few comments about my LaRuta and some of my ride experiences. They care and go that extra mile! Thanks Dave. JS

Cannondale F-5 Niner Rip

[Mar 19, 2013]
DanHarvey

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, simple, silent, efficient suspension. Super light frame. Beautiful craftsmanship

I finished my first ride with a sense of euphoria and a smile that still hadn't worn off hours later. Compared to my other bikes (a Moots YBB 26" and 20.5lb Form Prevail 29er Ti hardtail), this bike really is in a completely different league. The trail I rode is pretty rutted at this time of year (from people riding it when the snow hasn't fully melted), and has a ton of rocks sunk into the dirt so even at the best of times it can be a pretty rough ride. But on the La Ruta it honestly felt like riding on a carpet. In trail-mode the rear shock had no discernible bob, even when standing, yet the ride was so plush and comfortable it was hard for me to believe. The handling was also incredibly stable and precise: point it where you want to go and the bike does it without you even having to think. I'm not sure if this is due to the really active suspension, the precise alignment, a good choice of geometry... or a combination of all three... but it is a blast to ride fast. In fact I scared myself a few times in tight sections when I realized how much faster I was going than I had thought. I really can't wait to get some more miles under my belt on this bike. If you're interested in a really clean, light, bullet-proof full suspension frame, I highly suggest you get in touch with Funk.

[Dec 31, 2012]
Gideon Laronne

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light and very stable at all conditions, very sure steering, ideal tool for all XC conditions

Non

I am a long time XC rider, who has been riding many types and makes of mountain bikes, for the last 20 years, riding the extensive variety of the Israeli terrains. Although Israel is small in size, it has all types of terrains, from forested high mountains, to rocky hills, vast dry deserts and sand dunes. So I have always tried to get the best bike, suitable for all these riding conditions.
Through my experience, using Hardtails, Full Suspension and Softail bikes, I have come to the conclusion that the Softail rear suspension, coupled a Lefty front, is the ideal setup for a XC bike, making for the most low-weight, efficient, high performance and comfortable mountain bike. So the bike I have been using during the past years has been a custom built Titanium frame with Softail rear suspension, having 1.25" rear wheel travel, with 26" wheels.
In recent years, the 29" wheels have become more and more popular, and I have tried some bikes with these large tires. However have found that for a short rider like me, their drawbacks outweigh their benefits. So when the 650B wheel size came more and more popular, I have tried them and found that they are the best all around size for XC riding. With that in mind I have decided to look for my "next" bike, which must have all my required features: low weight Titanium frame, 650B wheels, Softail type rear suspension and Lefty front. Only the Funk LaRuta was found to have it all! And more… its rear suspension has not only 1.25" travel, but a full 3.0" travel, and the Lefty 29" combined with the 650B wheel, gives it added benefits.
Last month I have visited the Funk team in Denver, and took delivery of the fully assembled bike and found it to have very simple efficient design, beautifully crafted, weighing only 9.6 kg. for the complete, ready to ride, bike.
Back in Israel, I have put it for ride-test in the various terrain/ trail conditions, and it has been performing beautifully and beyond my expectations:
- Extremely fast & stable climbing ability, much better than 26" bikes – unmatched!
- Unbelievable Downhill stability , even in narrow single tracks, not known before.
This is also due to the smart use of the Lefty 29" fork with the 650B wheel.
- Extremely fast and stable feeling on long flat XC rides.
- The rear Flexplate suspension is extremely efficient, comfortable and very stable, giving a feeling of having 4" travel.
- The front Lefty 29" with the 650B tire, gives a stable feeling of 29" tire, however the steering performance is equal to 26" tires. Amazing !!
- This 650B LaRuta has proven to be the ultimate multi-purpose bike for XC riding all the way to single tracks with tight switch backs.
In addition to making the best XC bike on the market today, I must commend the Funk team, for their very responsive, friendly and professional handling of my enquiries and formal order. Their support is a good example and bench mark, for good and pleasurable busin

Seven Teres softail, Turner O2, Seven IMX

[Jul 17, 2012]
erik
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, great geometry, looks unique and sweet, fantastic quality, great customer service from small shop. Where else can you email the builder back and forth...

Not really any.

Oh my god, this bike ROCKS!!
Took over 10 minutes off a 1hr 10min climb/grind - 10 minute improvement is HUGE. The thing is so fast in the straights and holds very well in the technical.
I wasn't sure how it would hold, the climb is sometimes loose shale, sometimes boulders, sometimes powder in switchbacks. Normally i come out of my pedals a dozen times due to lack of traction, picking a bad line through boulders, or tiredness. Even with the racing tires the thing held like a champion and in the end I came out of my pedals 1/2 as much. 10 minute improvement, and coming out of cleats 50% less times is massive improvement.

I was surprised how versatile a tool it is. In the past i'd switch off between a ridged 9r and a boulder-hoping-built nomad. What is so amazing is that the Funk La Ruita can do both what both those bike were good at, and in most cases do much better. I've found since the La Ruta is in the stable that I'm riding no other bikes: to the store, on the fire road, up the grind, and down the technical. I can't imagine a better single tool for everything.

I got the bike built ( props to the guys at Olympic in Tahoe City for doing it) in 48 hours - weighing in at 22.8lbs with XTR pedals and tubeless.

Props to Dave for all the help back @Funk.
If you want a bike that can do it all and do it wicked fast, this is it.

lots

[Apr 08, 2012]
ABRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light and efficient, custom geometry and fit is a huge benefit!

The Funk La Ruta is a super light, efficient, simple, but very effective cross country full suspension design. The combination of 29er wheels and 3+ inches of travel make for a smooth and light ride in virtually all conditions. Make no mistake, this bike does not ride like your typical softail rather it is true full suspension.

The McPherson strut suspension is very plush and active for descending, firm and efficient but still active for climbing in pro-pedal mode, and it rides like a really nice Ti hardtail when fully locked-out. The latest platform shocks help this simple design work really well in a variety of cross country and trail riding situations. I used the Fox Float RLT shock with a high volume sleeve to achieve a somewhat linear spring curve that allows me to use virtually all the suspension on most rides even though I only weigh 150 pounds. I’ve owned a lot of bikes with sophisticated suspension systems, including four-bar, VPP, and DW Link, but it is truly surprising how effective this simple pivotless La Ruta suspension works. While there is some slight pedal bob that is noticeable when the shock is totally open, it is virtually unnoticeable when the pro-pedal is engaged and it is still very active for dealing with rocks and roots.
The frame is surprisingly stiff laterally when cornering and tracking through singletrack and rock gardens. The solid Ti pivot plate at the bottom bracket adds considerable stiffness to the rear end of the bike without the need for a seatstay bridge. Headtube gussets and oversized top and down tubes add considerable rigidity to the front end of the frame as well. With a radically sloping top tube, the frame also has good standover clearance for a 29er.
One of the best features of the La Ruta is the option to build it with custom geometry. I used a fairly relaxed headtube angle of 70 degrees (matched to a 46MM offset Reba fork) and short chainstays. This combination makes for a very stable descending bike that rails corners and is still nimble through switchbacks and tight technical sections. It has tons of rear tire clearance for high-volume tires in super muddy conditions as well. My frame, built with a double-butted down tube, 30.9 seatpost tube, headtube gussets, Fox RLT shock with a large volume sleeve, and the seatpost collar weigh only 4.4 pounds. This allowed me to build-up a sub 22.5 pound racing bike with real tires and reasonably durable components.

The La Ruta has a really wide sweetspot for riding conditions. It’s a light cross-country racing bike that you love to ride day after day while you’re training or just out having fun. With heavier duty wheels and tires it can also serve as a great trail bike during the off-season. As there are no pivots to maintain, it is quiet and maintenance free as well. The titanium welds are truly a work of art, and the craftsmanship that goes into the frame build really stands out. Finally, the durability of the titanium design leaves me worry free when riding in really rocky technical sections. This is easily the best bike I’ve ever owned.

Lots of different 29er Full Suspension Bikes

[Nov 15, 2011]
KEN

OVERALL
Strength:

FULL TI CONSTRUCTION
SIMPLE,EFFECTIVE,DESIGN
CRAFTSMANSHIP

BUILT TO ORDER SO UNABLE TO TRY BEFORE. NOT REALLY WEAKNESS THOUGH IF USED TO CUSTOM BUILDS

THIS BIKE WAS EVERYTHING I HOPED IT WOULD BE. IT'S LIGHT, FAST, AND SO VERSATILE. IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THOUGH THAT THIS REVIEW IS FOR A CUSTOM 26 VERSION OF A FRAME THAT IS NORMALLY PRODUCED IN A 29R FORMAT. EVEN SO, THIS IS A DESIGN THAT LENDS ITSELF PERFECTLY TO EITHER WHEEL SIZE. IN FACT, THE DESIGN IS SO SIMPLE AND ELEGANT WITH PERFECT MACHINING AND WELDS THAT IT EASILY MAKES ONLY 80MM TRAVEL ENOUGH. HOW VERSATILE YOU ASK? WELL, AT 4.3 LBS W/SHOCK IT CAN EASILY BE USED AS A TRUE FS ULTRALIGHT PROJECT. WITH A MORE REALISTIC BUILD THE TI CONSTRUCTION CAN EASILY HANDLE ANY TRAIL A SEASONED RIDER WOULD THROW AT IT. OR IF AN OCCASIONAL LIFT ASSIST PARK IS YOUR THING, THIS FRAME EASILY DEVOURS A 2.35 NEVEGAL WITH ROOM TO FIT A 2.5. HOW MANY XCOUNTRY FRAMES CAN DO THAT? I'VE DONE 30+ MILE ROAD RIDES, ROCKY ROOTED SINGLETRACKS, AND MY FAV TRAILS AT HIGHLAND PARK WITH NOTHING MORE THAN DIFFERENT TIRE CHANGES. SURE, IT WOULD BE BETTER IF I HAD THREE DIFFERENT BIKES BUT WHEN I CAN HAVE ONE THAT DOES ALL THIS AS WELL AS IT DOES, IT MAKES THE 3495$ FRAME PRICE AN EASY GO. SO NOW TO HOW IT RIDES. TI IS THE MOST FORGIVING CHOICE OF MATERIAL AND REALLY IT FEELS MORE LIKE A GOOD 100MM BIKE DOES BECAUSE OF IT. BUT IT DOESN'T FEEL MUSHY OR BLOW THROUGH ITS TRAVEL EITHER LIKE MOST DO. IT'S A FIRM RESPONDING 80MM AND RAMPS UP QUICKLY NEAR ITS END TO AVOID BOTTOMING OUT. THIS IS CLEARLY DUE TO THE RP23'S BOOST VALVE THAT COMES IN AT THE END OF ITS STROKE. BUT SMALL BUMP SENSITIVITY IS STILL VERY GOOD FROM KHASHIMA AND THAT THE LEAF SPRING MOVEMENT IS SUPER SMOOTH. IF YOU DISCONNECT THE SHOCK FROM ITS UPPER MOUNT THERE IS ZERO JERKINESS TO THE LEAF WHICH DOESN'T COUNTERACT THE EFFORTS OF THE SHOCK. ON THE TRAIL ITS SO SEEMLESS AS YOU JUST FLY THROUGH YOUR LINE CHOICE.ON SMOOTHER GROUND WITH PROPEDAL ENGAGED ITS AS EFFICIENT AS ANY TI HARDTAIL I EVER OWNED. THIS SIMPLE MAC-STRUT DESIGN DOESNT HAVE ALL THE FANCINESS AS ALL THE OTHER LINKED SYSTEMS OUT THERE BUT DOESNT REALLY NEED IT EITHER. WITH PROPEDAL OFF THERE IS SOME BOB BUT WITH EVEN THE LIGHTEST PP SETTING IT VANISHES INTO BLISSFUL EFFICIENCY. SO HOW DOES IT LOOK? IT'S ELEGANT BURNISHED FINISH AND STRAIGHT LINES ARE TIMELESS AS IT SHADOWS THE REAL MAGIC OF THE PIVOTLESS LEAF. I HAD MINE BUILT WITHOUT THE SEATTUBE BRACE OF THE 29RS SO ITS SUPER SLEEK. IT'S ELEGANCE THROUGH SIMPLICITY ALSO HAS ANOTHER HIDDEN BENEFIT. COMPONENTS MOUNT EFFORTLESSLY AND CABLES ROUTE WITH A STRAIGHTNESS THAT PROMOTES FIT AND FUNCTION. DON'T GIVE IN TO COMPLICATED, LONG LEGGED, CARBON SHOWROOM DESIGNS THAT WILL BE UPDATED OR OBSELETE IN A YEAR. GIVE A STRONG CONSIDERATION TO HOW MUCH TRAVEL YOU REALLY NEED AND HOW TIMELESS TI AND SIMPLICITY REALLY ARE. GIVE FUNK AN HONEST LOOK.

CUSTOM BUILDS FROM SEVEN AND TITUS

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.