Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon 27.5 Full Suspension

Best Price At
Available At

5010 pushes further into the realms of 27.5" possibilities. Developed using what we learned from Bronson, the comparatively lower bottom bracket height, shorter chainstays and 125mm of VPP travel give 5010 its snappy, nimble, ride.

Responsibly offered in Mountain Rescue Orange, a 68° head angle and 5lb frame weight adds climbing agility into the equation, defining 5010 as the tool for that back country mission you’ve always planned.

• 125mm VPP™ suspension
  • 27.5" wheels
  • Sizes: S, M, L, XL
  • 142mm rear axle spacing
  • Forged upper and lower links
  • Double sealed pivots with grease ports for low maintenance
  • Collet axle pivots- lock in place without pinch bolts.
  • Angular contact bearings maximize stiffness.
  • Standard or Direct mount rear derailleur option
  • ISCG-05 tabs for chainguide compatibility
  • Stealth and external seatpost cable routing
  • 73mm threaded bb: creak-free riding and easy installation
  • Molded rubber frame protection

[Aug 13, 2018]
CEB

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike. Better now that I have a Cane Creek Helm Coil fork and DBinline coil over. Put some 35mmID carbon rims to top it off.

Not many at all.

2015
[Jul 25, 2018]
dave5010

OVERALL
Strength:

Super snappy and the low bottom bracket is great. Makes you feel like you're sitting in the bike as opposed to on top of it.

Not the lightest carbon build. But stiffness is what we're really aiming for isn't it?

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Dec 22, 2014]
Bruce Sheridan

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, Price (for a decent Carbon frame), Nimbleness, 650b.

None, for me.

I purchased this bike (no demo, going by reviews only) from my LBS in late Nov 2014. This LBS is not a Santa Cruz dealer but there are none within 30 miles, so buying the bike from them is OK with SC. I'm a "senior" rider, pushing 66 and was looking for a relatively light, nimble bike that would carry me into my 70s. I highly recommend it to any 60 years and above riders. It is quick, it climbs and descends great, and works well for the tight, twisty trails we have here in NE Florida. It is a vast improvement over my Anthem which I will keep, to use on less twisty, longer distance (e.g. Santos Yellow, Ocala, FL) trails. I have ridden it on Mala Compra, Moses Creek, Nocatee, Gar Pond trails in this area and I know my times for these trails have definitely decreased. I know this is not a very "technical" review but if you're in my age category and are looking for a new bike, give this one a try. I believe you will not be disappointed!

Former bikes; Giant Anthem X29 2, Giant Trance X2 (26"), Giant Yukon (26").

[Oct 16, 2014]
Makenudo

OVERALL
Strength:

The most fun you've ever had on a mountain bike. A master at being nimble, yet all mountain ready.

Sometimes my pedals hit...but that's because I ride rad.

I came off a Carbon Tallboy with 110mm of travel. My 5010C has Fox 36's at 130mm travel, and all the same exact components that I had on my Tallboy (XT mainly) and a set of new Stans Arch EX.

This solo eats up rock and roots like no other...and coming from a 29er, I'd say the 5010 is way more fun. Its quicker, more responsive, climbs just as well and wants to jump off anything it can. THe 29er is better if you want to hold your line and go as fast as you can while holding on tight. The 5010 makes you feel very light and more 'fluid'...but I guess also depends on your riding style. For me...178lbs, pretty fit, and someone who likes to grove in things, this is the bike for me. Not too mention, SC gave this to me as a trade in because my Tallboy had a defect in the Carbon. The guys at SC are in a league of their own...performance and support wise.

I prefer Santa Cruz Bikes over any other brand of ridden.

[Apr 26, 2014]
johnny d

OVERALL
Strength:

Quiver killer to the max-up down and around, this little rig does it really well. Good pedaller, very precise handling and punches well above its travel on the downs

None within reason. I dont have issues with the BB height and i went with the x fusion 34's up front (bloody awesome) so Ive dodged the main complaints over the overwhelmed fox's. Price of course but.....

Ive come off a pivot mach 5 which I loved but despite its extra travel I cant find anywhere it would hold its own against the solo. I thought i would be giving a bit away on technical descents but the little SC absolutely thrives on them. Very finger tippy and precise and easy to move around on. I only had one ride on the bronson but havnt thought of one again in the 4 months Ive had this singletrack slayer. Such a rewarding riders bike, very connected to the trail and so very very fast. LUV IT!

[Mar 19, 2014]
mtbgtr

OVERALL
Strength:

Considering what I was riding the whole setup is a strength. The frame is well built and well thought out. The 1x drivetrain is amazing. I don't really miss the high end gears and the low end matches exactly what I have been riding forever. The threaded BB was a must for me in my bike choice.

I haven't found any weaknesses yet.

Very nice bike and setup. No more having to pick the perfect rock pile line. The difference in whipping around tight, smooth singletrack compared to my YBB is almost imperceptable. I do not consider 13 inch BB height to be to little, it only adds to the stability. I did test ride both the 5010 and the Bronson and picked the 5010 because of its increased maneuverability for the type of riding I like to do but can still bomb through rock gardens. IMHO the Bronson is awesome also but more DH, big hit directed. The shorter chainstays and lighter frame made the 5010 easier to climb with, especially over boulders and the like than the Bronson. I am still getting used to the wider bars and more upright positioning, but its not a hindrance.

I am coming off riding a Moots YBB for 20 years so I have no direct similar products to compare this bike with.

[Feb 25, 2014]
Dj
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast. Agile. Light. Stiff. Stable, slightly less rolling resistance with 27.5 wheels. Good Pedal efficiency. Dialed in Geometry for a Trail bike riding Southern Cal trails. Treaded Bottom Bracket. Nice Matte Back/Green paint job. Accepts fork travel from 120 to 140 mm. I use a Fox Fork CTD 140. Excellent climber. Handles the rough downhills very well. Stable and agile on tight twisting single track. Accelerates fast but not as fast as a 26er. 5 yr. Warranty on Frame.

Expensive Frame $2899.00. Too Low of Bottom Bracket ( 13.1 inches ) for a Trail Bike - suffered a few pedal/crank strikes on some small to medium size rocks climbing and descending some tech rock garden sections. To avoid pedal strikes, i guess riders could lift up their pedals or modify their pedal technique when going over rocky sections. Interesting cable routing. Fox Rear CTD shock - even when dialed in for my weight and riding style - shock could use some tuning to make it a little more supple and plush. VPP has a little more chain growth vs other suspension types - not sure if this will wear out the chain faster and require more freq chain replacements. Would like to have a direct mount front derailleur vs the clamp on style. With only 125mm of gearwheel travel, the bike can get a little overwhelmed with rougher bigger bumpier terrain.

Overall a fun playful trail bike that is very capable handling most trail conditions with 5 inches of travel.

SPecialized. Gary FIsher Sugar 1. GT IDXC. Turner Flux. Titus Racer X. Titus X. Pivot Mach 4. Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon. Lynskey Ti Ridgeline 29r.

[Aug 04, 2013]
John Payne

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality, finish, Stiffness of the entire platform

A tad bit heavy, flat dirt road cruising.

I've only got 3 rides on an XT triple equipped beauty, but I am extremely impressed. Coming from a slew of 29er's, which I still ride: Tallboy C, and Niner Air 9 Carbon, Ritchey 29er, all great bikes....I would say the differences are very much improved trail/technical capabilities when the going gets rough. As a trail bike this Solo C is so competent. It climbs and descends like a Billy goat on steroids. It wants to fly down rough, rock strewn, root filled gullies....I had to keep reminding myself to let the bike go, stay off the brakes...It was willing to soak up the worst stutter bumps, and float over sharp rocks. If this is the future of Mountain Biking, man, I like it a lot....Best advice: go get one and have fun!

• Available At
$7999

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.