Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 Full Suspension

This composite Trance Advanced 27.5 is light, agile, and built to go fast on technical trails. Developed with input from Giant’s champion enduro pros, the Advanced-grade composite frame is engineered specifically for 27.5, the ideal wheel size for all-around trail capabilies.

[Jun 28, 2017]
Jules

OVERALL
Strength:

Suspension.
Handling
Component specs
Wheels

Hard to find...
Not mad on the yellow bits.

This review is for the 2017 Trance Advanced 1.

This bike is so easy to ride. It goes up with ease and has no problem with tight turns. It came with too many spacers under the stem but I have flipped that over and lowered the stem by 20mm. Feels right for me now. I don't find the 70mm stem too long as some pro reviews have stated. I'm 186cm tall with long arms and also don't find the 750mm bars too narrow as the pro reviews have also stated. I'm even thinking about taking 10mm off them because there are a hell of a lot of trees around where I live and I have ample control over my 2.5 tyre as it is.

This bike is a beast downhill. Very plush and stable when it gets rough. I tested a couple of 29ers and a couple of plus bikes before this and felt that the Trance is more nimble, plusher and lighter overall and handles the gnarly stuff as well as the Stumpy 6fattie that I rode. It was also HALF the price of the others for the same spec. BARGAIN! Cannot work out how Giant can do this.

Can't comment on durability as I haven't had it for long enough but everything works perfectly at this stage and I can't believe that the wedge of a saddle hasn't bitten me yet. It looked like I would hate it as it is HARD. Yet I come home from a couple of hrs on it and haven't noticed it. Strange.

My Large weighs 27lbs, 12.3 kg with pedals. I have a Minion 2.5 on the front and a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the back so not the lightest rubber. These sit very well on the 27mm internal rims. They grip like claws.

Bottom line is this is the best and most versatile bike I have ridden in my 12yrs on mtb. and if you like riding anything from smooth XC and flow trails to mid sized rock gardens steep lines this bike is hard to beat. Value for money it right up there, even gives YT and Canyon a run for their $.

Trek Fuel, Stumpy 6fattie, Scott Spark 29 and Genius plus, Specialized Camber 29.

[Oct 30, 2016]
Scott Davis

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for the 2017 version which has a redesigned frame with a full carbon rocker arm with the new metric Rock Shock Deluxe RT rear shock and 35MMYari RC fork. I have always ridden boutique bikes (Ellsworth, Maverick, Yeti) an honestly never considered buying a mass produced bike. However when I stopped buy my LBS and the owner showed me the new 2017 Trance 2 Advanced the bike peaked my interest. He had the Trance 2 Aluminum version demo bike so I figured what the heck might as well take it on my local trail and see what it would do. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the bike was on the trail it was almost silent as I rode it over roots, rocks etc. The internal cable routing apparently keeps the noise to a minimum. I was very impressed with both the front and rear end balance and performance of the suspension. There is little or no pedal induced bob even in the fully active setting. The 35mm fork was stiff and smooth. Now this was on the $2700 version now on the the $4100 Trance 2 Advanced i bought. You get a full Carbon front frame section with a Carbon wheel set that comes with rim tape and tubeless ready tires to all you need is sealant and your ready to go. The addition of the wider & lighter (33MM) wheel set adds even more to the overall capabilities of the bike. It is pretty much point and shoot what ever you can pedal through you can clear without hardly any drama. The suspension just soaks it up and provides a stable non eventful ride. I will say this is my first 27.5 bike and I really like the additional wheel size, they roll over roots and rocks providing a stable controlled ride.

On the lower end Trance 2 Advanced bike there is a fair amount of Giant house brand components (seat post, bars, stem etc.) and they seem to work fine. The dropper seat post works smoothy and is silent. The Giant seat sucks it's already gone. Overall I had the bike out twice on some local trails and it exceeds my older bikes in performance

Not real wild about the paint scheme in this model, there is only one choice. Seat is a board.

Other than that I am a happy camper.... The bike is light & stiff and runs silently down the roughest trails.... For a mass produced machine I feel you get performance that would cost thousands more of you bought one of the high end low volume brands and really other than the badge you not giving up anything... I have paid over half as much as I paid for this bike for a frame in years past and then added thousands more buying a high end kit and none of them rode this good......

BTW Kelly the owner of Echelon Bikes in West Knoxville knows his product and did an awesome job setting up the bike and getting the pressures set up for me etc. Cannot go wrong doing business with Kelly....

Ellsworth Epiphany, Maverick ML8, Maverick Durance, Yeti 575, Ellsworth Isis

[Oct 29, 2015]
Chester

OVERALL
Strength:

Light versatile fun fast up and down quiver killer

Water bottle

Med adv 0 2014 I m 5'8-30 inch inseam nice fit!
No dropper w pedals 24.9 lbs
Bike pedals great. Stiff bb w no noticeable Bob on pro pedal an a little bit full open. Very very capable trail/all Mt bike. Fast and fun up, on the level, and down. No real weaknesses riding. The shox- have lots of adjustments, each setting seems perfect for what i do/works with bike. it is a hard tail, a 120 mm racer and a 140. Mm enduro and does all very well. My only gripe is the water bottle mount is too far up the tube-prob to make way for bigger rear shox- it is difficult to fit a normal bottle and impossible to fit a large one inside the frame. I ended up using one screw and zip ties to shift cage back.
32 teeth good for mountains up front.
Wheelsets staying true-
Good luck upgrading anything on the bike-everything carbon -even stem bolts r titanium.
Questionable reliability on giant seatpost -$60 cartridge to fix and a 400$ cassete may = high $/mile. Gave 3 stars for value-7000$ bike made no compromises for value-not giants goal at this price point. a unbelievabley refined bike-everything where it should be!

Pivot, yeti

[Sep 03, 2015]
David Cerf

OVERALL
Strength:

Its got it all. The 2016 comes with everything, no upgrades needed.

This is the single best bike I have ridden. I rode the Pivot, Yeti, Ibis and I own Turner, Trek, Gary Fisher. This is my one go to bike. I live in Oregon, it can handle it all, climbs, big downs, it eats it up. I bought this from Blazing Saddles, support service.

Turner Six Pack, Pivot 429 SL

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.