Giant Reign 27.5 Full Suspension

The frame of the all-new Reign 27.5 is engineered with Giant’s ALUXX SL material and 27.5-specific geometry. It offers 6.3 inches (160mm) of Maestro rear suspension travel and a longer, lower chassis than its 26-inch-wheel predecessor. This improves stability and handling on rough terrain without sacrificing stiffness or adding weight. The Reign 27.5 model also features an OverDrive steerer tube design for added front-end stiffness and steering precision, along with a new 12x142 rear thru-axle design and internal cable ports—including routing for dropper seatposts—to give it a sleek, uncluttered appearance and performance.

[Jul 31, 2015]
Brian Hoffmann

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike is about All Mountain! Light weight, strong enough for sizable jumps! This bike can be used at Whistler! shock system is smooth! front handling is sharp and precise! Pike on front! XC feel to it, although you can down hill this thing through a rock garden! The subdued Blue and black color of the Reign 2 works nicely when stopped at the coffee shop! I don't get the feeling it sticks out as a speciality bike!

Low bottom bracket; you get used to this if you've used Giants before! Cant think of anything else!

Reign 2; Blue n Black; 2015! Payed 3200 with peddles and no tax; wont go into that! Saved about 20%! A great price! This bike rolls like a giant XC bike that down-hills n jumps! The 27.5 tires give it a big smooth feel, but you can still throw this lite weight beauty around! It screams of Enduro riding; tuff XC riding! I own a 2010 Reign SX! These are 2 different bikes from the same mold! The SX is about tricks and jumps urban Assault! You want to flick it! The 2015 Reign is like a cadillac! You want to cruz down single track! It has a wide long feel to it with its 27.5 wheel system! The Maestro shock system is smoothly integrated with the fine Pike up front! It's a precise smooth running machine and its lite! Turning is crisp and point on! Bottom bracket is to low; Nothing new! Keep the peddles up when you go over a log! Schwalbe tires; nice touch! All parts compliment each other; making this machine a bad azzz animal for the trail! Beautiful! 5 stars baby!

Ive owned 2002 Giant AC; 2008 Giant Reign X; 2010 Giant Reign SX. Demo'd Specialized and a few other brands!

[Jun 28, 2015]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Descending capability
Solid parts spec
Value
Stiff frame
Smiles for miles kinda bike

Cable rattle (internal routing)
Press fit bottom bracket creak
Weak stock brake pads

Primarily I am an agressive all mountain rider. I have a great fitness base and just wanted a bike that I could throw down some knarly descents. THIS BIKE MAKES YOU A BETTER RIDER! (Downhill). With owning the bike for 3 months now i have probably put 300+km on the parts and heres the bottom line. The cables rattle in the frame, kinda annoying, there is also some wierd spots where the cables rub on the lower links and bb shell. The press fit bb (why?!?) creaks as of 3 rides ago, and I dont expect that to get better. And the last minus is the stock brakes, I think its a pad issue but they tend to fade quite a bit on longer descents. That could be because I ride the bike pretty hard but I think I will upgrade to sintered slx ice tech pads ASAP. Now the positives. The bike shreds downhill like a lock on missile! By far the most fun bike I ridden! Super stiff front fork (Pike RC) and rear end (142x12mm through axle) makes this bike very manageable through really rough terrain. About suspension set up. Initially the shop set it up for 40% sag. Super plush over just about anything but I was striking my pedals everywhere (Still alot of pedal strikes with a 13.6" bb). I have settled on a 30% dead on and seems to be a good balance although considering adding some bottomless bands to give a little more suppleness off the top and increase bottom out resistance. The pike felt really good out of the box but I added one bottomless token and saw amazing results. Just a little more supple right off the top with a stiff ramp up at the end. Also the rockshock monarch rt is really nice to set rebound with and the bike allows you to dial in exactly what you need for your riding style. As far as fit goes I am 6'1" and the large fits me really nice. I can still throw the bike around but maintain that flat out speed confidence. Cornering is also really easy, and the bike favours weighting the front end slightly and pushing with your hips and legs to get the back end to rotate easily. I cant say this enough, this bike absolutely rocks!!! I would say its middle ground on climbing but I have never really ridden cross country bikes. The trance 1 (2015) definately climbs better and if your searching for a better all around rig that would be the way to go (for giant) but there is nothing more satisfying than shredding the downhills with confidence as your friends riding their all days shorter travel bikes pick and poke their way down every steep and rough descent! Upgrades planned: 1x11 (SRAM GX1) next year when the wife has forgotten about the money I spent on this one!! Sintered ICE tech pads. Rear hub. Removing chain guide for weight once upgraded to 1X11. Maybe a Reverb stealth for more drop but thats a ways off. Please consider this bike when searching for your next all mountain rig!!

Specialized Enduro (2009)
Giant Trance 2 (2010)
Giant Trance 1 (2015)
Giant Trance 29 1 (2013)
Giant Trance 3 (2014)
Yeti SB66 (2013)
Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc (2005)

[Apr 08, 2015]
Stoked Kiwi

OVERALL
Strength:

Smiles, Components (all of them), Confidence inspiring handling, Orange is the new black,

Minor things... Stock handlebars maybe too wide for some, Shock mode selector switch likes to spring back to downhill mode so can occasionally change with an accidental bump, 32T chainring can be a bit tall for long steep climbs

Absolutely love this bike!!! I am a middle-of-the-pack rider that will never be able to truly push the limits of this bike but I have had a huge step up in confidence and most importantly enjoyment since getting this bike. Previously owned a 2009 Giant Reign and slowly changed parts to build it up into a bike like this. Giant have nailed the spec on this bike and if a carbon frame isn't an essential item on your shopping list then the Reign 1 is perfect.

I'd recommend this to anyone that likes to push their own limits downhill and enjoys but isn't looking to set records going uphill.

If you are the sort of person that geeks out on new technology that actually works well then you'll love this bike. The dual position fork and climb mode of the shock work well together to provide a slightly more comfortable position for longer grinds to the top. 1x11 goodness and built in Reverb stealth are the business for always being able to find the right configuration for the trail section you're on with no fuss.

The suspension and geometry is obviously geared for pointing downwards and it is super plush and adjustable to suit your style for plowing through chunder or picking optimal lines. Not much of a sacrifice is made to get through the flat and uphill sections. Shorter bursts don't "need" any changes to the suspension.

You won't set XC records on this bike without freakish levels of fitness but it is more than capable of being ridden for long days in the forest or back country. If you have lots of long days in steep areas then a change to smaller volume and less aggressive tyres would lighten the load so you can enjoy what this bike was built for in the fun sections.

Looks like some bikes come with Schwalbe tyres and some with Maxxis DHF/High Roller II. Mine came with the Maxxis combo and they're great. Setup tubeless at the LBS and no issues.

Fits a full size bottle but a side-entry cage was needed to make it easy to get the bottle in/out.

I will be changing out:
1) Handlebars to my older and slightly narrower bars - personal preference.
2) Chain ring from 32T to 30T as there are a few long climbs that get a little taxing on the legs - Getting a little fitter will probably sort it out though

You know it's a good thing when you ride a bike and you can't stop smiling... Stoked!!!

2015 Giant Trance, 2009 Giant Reign 1, Kona Stinky, Santa Cruz Heckler, GT Avalanche

[Dec 21, 2014]
Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

If your not an aggressive rider...you will be! Pedals exceptionally well for a 160mm bike. Very plush rear suspension mutes rocks, roots, and anything you can throw at it. Low top tube and relatively short chain stay let's you throw the bike around and manuals quite easily. A mini downhill bike that will get you to the top.

As previously mentioned, low bottom bracket. This is a blessing and a curse. It hugs the ground thus allowing it to handle like a Porshe 911. However, time your pedal strikes.

I have the 2 model bit changed a few thing on it to my personal liking. Raceface Turbine Cinch, Zee brakes, Stans Flow, and XT drive train. Comes in at 29.5 lbs, a big drop from the stock 32+. Coming off a Trance 27.5 with all the fixings. For my riding style it suits me better than the Trance. Stock bike came with a Debonair RT but could definatley use a RC3 with a pedal platform (I'm sure would minimize pedal strikes). Point this thing down and hold on...pure confidence. Point it up, hope you have strong legs. Its not a cross country bike so don't expect it to be. However, you will be surprised. The leverage ratio is different than the Trance and is quite noticeable. It suppresses anything in front of you. If you are choosy with your lines this bike will allow you to just blast through stuff without a second thought. Works as advertised.

[Oct 10, 2014]
Ash

OVERALL
Strength:

Descends like a mini downhill bike. Amazingly flickable considering its 65 degree head angle, 160mm travel and longish wheelbase. Pedals quite well, bearing in mind it is an enduro bike. Spec is awesome for the money, only thing I wasnt sure about was the 2x10 with guide (I have the base model). So far I have'nt dropped a chain, and Ive been riding rough trails. The Rockshox Pike has been great so far, much better than the Fox evo on my previous bike. I was lucky enough to get my bike with folding minion dhf on front and high roller 2 on rear. Brakes are suprisingly good for deore, shifting has been spot on with deore and slx. I actually have to admit I do like the granny for spinning up long steep climbs. I was going to convert to 1x10 straight away, but I'm holding off for now.

Pedal strikes! A low bottom bracket height with a doughy rear shock. these 2 combine to create a really low bottom bracket, if you hit a turn and the rear compresses, do not pedal until the bike is almost upright on the straight. I got pitched OTB hard on a track I knew well that I had ridden with a few different bikes. I learnt my lesson fast. I have put almost max psi in the rear shock to keep the back end up a bit higher and its improved it a bit. Shock is still supple on small stuff and pedals a bit better too. But I do think the debonair shock uses it initial travel too quickly. The bike is a bit heavy but what can you expect for 3 grand with big suspension and a dropper post, and with deore and slx?

I race local gravity enduro, go for long slow rides and short fast rides, and climb to descend. This bike is very good for all these things. I'm slightly annoyed that I have to wait an extra half a second before I can crank it out of corners, but this bikes strengths are descents and tackling rough terrain so I'll just have to make it up by hitting stuff harder and faster, and maintaining momentum in corners.

trek remedy, specialized big hit, rocky mountain element 950

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.