Giant Anthem Advanced SX 27.5 Full Suspension

The super light and quick Anthem Advanced frame, with its Advanced-grade composite front triangle made specifically for 27.5, helps give this trail chameleon its speed on the climbs and its rock-eating Maestro Suspension gives it confidence when the trail gets rough. With a little extra suspension up front, 120mm instead of 100mm, this SX version blurs the line between XC and trail. The frame features Giant’s OverDrive steerer tube for razor-sharp handling, plus a PowerCore bottom bracket for maximum pedaling stiffness and power transfer.

[Jun 23, 2017]
madsedan

OVERALL
Strength:

Efficient pedal machine for a bike with 120rr/130fr travel. I could ride trail on Saturday and hop/wheelie over crap and I could do an XC race on Sunday with no changes.
The fork is a 160mm fork dialed down to 130mm, so its heavy, almost 4.5#, but its also very stiff.

We only get the SX2 or the SX advanced 27.5 in the states. I couldn't afford to spend the cash for the Advanced model so I bought the SX2 and ended up dropping $600 on a few bits and a lighter wheelset. The SX2 was $3k, and the Adnaced model was $4,700. If I had the option of getting the nicer build of the Advanced on the aluminum frame (The SX1 in the rest of the world) for about $3,700 I would gladly have bought it.

Great deal for the price, I also received a nice discount as the '18 models were about to come in. Saved me enough money to buy a nicer/lighter wheelset and a few other bits to drop weight off the frame.

650b Nickel, Anthem 27.5, Cannondale SL rigid 29er

[May 29, 2016]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, versatile, well specced.

Seat.

I'm no superstar on the MTB trails but have ridden road and MTB for many years so go OK. I wanted just ONE off road bike as I have a job, family etc and can't justify two. So, I sold an 8.9kg hard tail and bought this.

OK first up, it's awesome. I highly recommend it. I ride rocky hardback single track, that's moderate;y technical (Mt Stromlo in Canberra Australia) and it's perfect for that terrain. It's also great on the flowy single track near my house. However, it's a Giant and as such made for the mass market and needs tweaks - I thought I'd share some changes I made to it:
- First, the seat is s###, change it to a Fizik or similar - something that's long and stable. Life it forward a bit to get weight over the BB.
- Obviously convert to tubeless....
- I got rid of the bars. I persevered for a while but the combo of rise and sweep, along with the 120mm fork on a frame designed for a 100mm made the front end feel a bit disconnected. I was awesome downhill but I wasn't happy with the XC characteristics so I swapped for a 5mm rise (same sweep at 9mm). This made a big difference.
- Keep the dropper post! Because I'd come off a light hard tail I bought a light post to get the weight of this closer to my old bike but once you've used a dropper, you won't go back.
- Run 25% sag in the fork but dial the compression damping two clicks from fully open. Seems to be the right setting for me...and 5 clicks in from slow rebound - I am 73kg. I run 20% sag in the shock and generally leave it open unless climbing really easy trails
That's about it. I arsed around for ages working out the best way to set this up and thought I'd share my tips.
Cheers

Giant Anthem X

[Aug 30, 2015]
Shannon

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, responsive. Great sram x01 drivetrain, very happy with the new avid brakes.

The clear coat on the paint seems a little fragile. Paint is strong but clear coat niks.

The term "runs like a scolded dog" comes to mind every time I put this thing to the test, just point and go! I definitely don't do this bike justice.

[Jul 22, 2015]
eric stokell
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

lightness, lightness, lightness. The bike is friggin light. It has the best brakes also. They stop on a dime and rarely need to get adjusted it seems. I love the wheels they are so fast that it is scary sometimes (see weakness review). I love the shocks they are awesome and a great pair. They hold pressure good and have sag amounts etched into the lender so its easier to adjust. Looks, Looks, Looks. the bike Looks cool, what can I say. The Colors are killer and the seatpost cable can go through the frame. 1 by eleven gearing and all the new axel techlogy. n

The anthem x is not a downhill bike I have come to realize. It does not have 6.7 inches of travel like my Giant Reign did even tho the 27.5 makes it feel like it has quite a bit. It can't handle giant rock staircases and smashing directly into large boulders head on like my reign, you have to pick your line carefully. It can be ridden through any level of trail, but one must use "old school" techniques to help the bike through. It does do it but it is a cross country bike that can be ridden on extreme trails, not vice versa.
The tires are DANGEROUSLY FAST when combined with the carbon wheels. I have never felt anything like it in 25 years of mountain biking. The bike literally takes off from under you it feels like at first, then its really hard to stop because the tires are not that aggressive. Mind I was riding a trail that people regularly ride downhill bike on, a trail with a few very technical and steep sections.
Also I would put new grips on the bike as the ones it comes with are not that squishy and thats how I like my grips. The carbon cranks as always have to be covered at the ends because I always smash them into rocks.

Summary. I owned a 2013 GIant Reign x0 26er and rode that around the trails here. I was getting driven to the top at first and then began riding uphill. I then got a 2014 Giant Anthem X0 29er and rode that for a while on some of the the more gnarly trails it seemed to be insufficient. I'm talking about rock staircases and sections where the only ground was a number of baby-alien-head sized rocks. I then got the Anthem sx x 2015 27.5 and almost thought I had found one bike "to rule them all". I sold my Reign and Anthem 29er and decided to only ride my Anthem sx x. I found it to be able to handle some of the gnarly sections that my anthem x was unable to get through efficiently and smoothly. I also found it to be an incredible climbing machine, it made it useless to keep the anthem x 29er. I smashed this bike, I took it over trails that I had ridden my Reign with almost 7 inches of travel on and I was amazed at how well it handled. I couldn't believe how responsive it was, how quick it was to respond to my ever push and pull. Lastly, I couldn't believe and was scared at how quickly it got up to speed. I think the carbon wheels and the ultralight "sliding sams" as I like to call them, that come with the bike make it fast. So fast that I didn't realize how quickly I had accelerated and almost went off a small cliff. Jumps, I did jumps, small ones only a foot or two in height but it was fun and always landed smoothly. The shock never bottomed out, which surprises me on this bike and the anthem x as well. I tuned the fork very carefully as always and found that it had quite a good amount of responsiveness to my adjustments. This bike is so awesome at climbing that you feel almost like it is cheating to ride with someone else. The front chainring is small and in sections where my old bikes smashed themselves to bits, this bike doesn't even touch the rock. I love the eleven speed cassette, it is another thing that has completely blown my mind. Single chainring in the front is the wave of the future, it almost makes it cool to have a "granny gear" again. To not have to shift the front derailier when coming up to a stream crossing or slight steep uphill section......its nice. Those were the biggest things I noticed that were cutting edge technology. All the new bells and whistles, combined together with my favorite frame builders...what is there to say? Oh yeah, so eventually I was riding only my Anthem SX X and then I found it couldn't do the most serious serious rock sections as well as my reign had. So I am going to get another Reign and keep my anthem SX x for when I want to ride more mellow trails. Bottom line, the anthem SX X is for someone who wants a cross country bike that can be ridden through some very technical sections. It is for someone who wants to be able to ride long distances and technical features as well. It is extremely light, unbelievably light. As I came to realize, it is not a downhill bike. I feel like the Reign would give me a noticeable difference on really difficult downhill sections. I can have two so I got an anthem for longer more mellow trails, and a 27.5 reign for the more aggressive trails. Just like my old Reign 26 and Anthem 29er combo, this will be a more evolved version and a testament to why I don't have kids or extra spending money or a fancy sports car....I spend it all on GIANTS!

I used an anthem advanced X for 1 year and found it to be more cross country oriented compared to the anthem sx 27.5

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.