Giant XTC 27.5 Hardtail

• RockShox Recon Gold with 15mm thru-axle, OverDrive steerer suspension fork
  • Shimano SLX/Deore 2x10-speed drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes
  • Giant S-XC2 27.5 double wall rim, Giant Tracker hub, stainless steel spoke wheelset

[Sep 11, 2017]
paulmich

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon frame, Rock shox 30 gold air fork, Deore shifting, excellent performing hydraulic brakes.

Could be lighter?

I bought the 2016 Giant XTC 3 model in medium frame with 27.5" wheels. This is considered a XC racing bike but it does so much more! I use it also as a cruiser for riding around town, riding rail trails (pavement), its what I would consider a gravel bike and it is more comfortable than a hybrid bike. I was considering getting a hybrid but I then realized I would be giving up comfort for just a little more speed. I will choose to keep this bike as my all purpose rig. I can really pick up a good cruising speed on flat pavement. The rock shox 30 gold air fork keeps the front end down to the ground very well. I will never go back to coil shox. This is a general all purpose bike that can be used for anything. (although it does not have rack mounts so carry a backpack for long distance hikes).

Giant Talon 2

[Sep 22, 2015]
Terence

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame (light and strong), chain slap guard, Drivetrain, Brakes, Internal Cable Routing (for the most part), Fork, Seat Surprisingly Comfortable.

The frame is a typical Giant Aluminum Frame. It is stiff, strong, and will outlast every other component on the bicycle, making it an ideal platform for upgrades.

The guard on the bike against chain slap is a welcome addition to ANY bicycle, as if you ride any bike in rough terrain the chain will slap against the frame, causing annoying noises and paint damage. Not on this bike. Honestly, every serious bicycle should have this equipped by default nowadays.

The Drivetrain is awesome, but only if you are a fan of the 2x10 setup. The front derailleur is serviceable (I have had the same one on my 29er for years with no issues), and the rear derailleur is awesome. Shifts are smooth, even while shifting under load.

The Shimano brakes are incredible, but they were on my previous bike as well. Unless you are doing a lot of downhill (i.e. when you ride for 2 hrs you are going downhill and breaking 80% of the time), these breaks will stop you without issue. If you are doing a lot of downhill, upgrade as they are entry level hydraulics and you will experience fade as the rotors heat up.

For the most part, cable routing is internal, which is nice for the price range. This reduces the annoying clanking you will inevitably hear when tearing through rough terrain.

The Rockshox Recon Gold is a great air fork for the price range. I am 240 and find it can take everything I throw at it and more. It is very adjustable, and adjustment is simple and easy to perform. The fork is of high quality, and I wish I had it on my 29er as well every time I switch bikes. It is strictly an XC fork however, and if you do a lot of Down Hill you will be bottoming it out a lot as it eats through travel pretty quick. You can adjust that out, but you will lose small bump compliance which, lets face it, is more important 90% of the time.

Downtube Cable Routing.

Notice above how I said the cable routing is internal to the frame for the most part? Heres the flip side: some cables are routed along the down tube of the bike. This exposes the cables to rock hits and possibly damage that could have been avoided. I have ridden this bike pretty hard for a season and no damage so far, but looking at my 29er's down tube (looks like the surface of the moon), I cannot picture this being the story forever. Routing the cables on the down tube, in my opinion, is lazy design, especially when the other cables are routed internally AND the higher end XTCs have no such issue.

This bike is an awesome trail machine for anyone who has been riding for a while and wants to try out 27.5 (like me), or anyone new to the sport of mountain biking that wants a bike that will, in all likelihood, outlast their interest.

It is good for both recreational and sport (racing use). The bike really flies and absolutely CRUSHES ascents. Seriously, that hill you couldn't do before? Try to do it on this bike. You will not be disappointed.

I bought the 2014 XTC 2 for $1300 on clearance at my LBS. At that price, the bike was a steal and the value rating is definitely five chillis.

However, the overall rating is only 4 chillis because I cannot for the life of me figure out why Giant routed cables on the down tube of the bicycle when others were routed internally. Just route them all internally! It is easier that way and the cables will last longer because they will not be taking a beating from trail debris. For this laziness, one chilly is lost.

Other than this, excellent bicycle.

Giant Talon 29er 0, Giant Revel 1, Cannondale Trail 7

[Dec 01, 2013]
JP

OVERALL
Strength:

I have the XTC Advanced 2.

Light, comfortable, superb handling, nimble, playful, excellent spec and great geometry.

Handlebar width, overdrive 2 limits stem choices, Fox EVO on the heavy feeling side of things.

I'll start off with I'm no racer just a very avid MTB rider who just loves riding and it doesn't matter what bike. I don't get podiums nor could I ever get KOM's on local trails. I post average/mid pack lap times in 24hr races and love descending way more than climbing. I am Joe average.

I was going to buy a 29er again until I rode this bike. It is an absolute rocket and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I tested an XTC 29er composite as the Advanced 27.5 was the same price (because it was slightly used). The 29er felt like a boat in comparison to the 27.5.

The 27.5 wheels do not roll as well as 29ers but for someone of my height 5'5' (1.67cm) with short legs and a long back the trade off to a more comfortable and better fitting bike has been worth it. This bike has beaten many of my Strava PR's on trails I have ridden many times on my Santa Cruz Blur or my old Scale Carbon 29er including descending trails where one would think my dually would have an advantage. You can push the front end really hard into tight and rough corners and the things just tracks through. I'm guessing the overdrive 2 steer has something to do with it. In many ways it feels very similar to my 2012 Giant Anthem 26er that I had a year ago. No fuss you just get on and pedal and it takes care of the rest.

The compliance of the rear end is excellent and for someone coming from riding only a dual suspension for the past year and with the tubeless setup I've been able to drop the pressures to absorb some of the trail chatter without the rims complaining. I weigh 195 pounds (90kgs). The frame does have the carbon downside where it can feel a little disconnected from the trail which leads it to feeling like a slow bike. I guess it means I push myself a little harder because of that feeling.

Spec is great with full XT and XTR for hassle free drive train and excellent stopping power. The Giant branded wheels are quiet good and are meant to weigh approx 1650gs but I love Stan's wheels so I've bought a set to try out. The 142 x 12 rear axle is great, Fox evo fork is workman like but I would love to have a FIT dampener given I'm used to one from my Santa Cruz, stock Giant bars feel a bit narrow for me. Fizik saddle is great one of my all time favorites. Its a bike where you dont think about spec when you are riding so everything must be doing its job right.

I would recommend the bike to anyone looking for a mixture of handling and speed in a good all round package that tends to ride just as many snaking, twisting trails as they do wide open trails. In the right hands a racer could smash a field to pieces in a crit race or timed event. I imagine the lower back would start to hurt in a 3hr+ ride though.

Great product Giant you seem to have gotten this on right compared to your 29ers.

Santa Cruz Blur C 650B'd, Scott Scale 930 29er, Niner EMD, On one Inbred 26 SS,

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.