Vaude Siena series Water Carrier

If you've ever ridden your bike with one of those shapeless bookbag wonders on your back, you'll appreciate the SIENA. Designed by cyclists for cyclists, it sits tight and rides right. From mountain biking to commuting, this pack rocks when it comes to hauling gear, books, groceries, hydration systems, whatever. But, you don't have to be on a bike to appreciate the cool comfort of our AEROFLEX suspension. The SIENA hangs right for just about anything you can dream up. Even its built in helmet holder can double as a place to stash your fuzzies on a long hike or snowshoe. Add a built-in raincover and our patented F.L.A.S.H. - Floating Length-Adjustable Shoulder Harness - system and you'll know why last year the SIENA sold out quicker than cold beer at a midsummer ballgame. First come first served. Available WET or DRY. That's with or without our BIG DRIP 2L hydrations system. Volume: 30 L (1800 in3)

[Jul 09, 2015]
Tim Morken

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent weight distribution. Very comfortable. Long lasting constructions (10 years), hip pads absolutely excellent - no need for a hip belt.

Bowed suspension does make loading and unloading a bit difficult. Elastic wears out after a few years leading to shapeless pockets and zipper covers

This is a 10-year use review. I bought this pack new after listing for myself what my ideal commuting pack would be: 1) tear-drop shape to hold weight low on back and keep vision at shoulders clear, compression straps; suspension that keeps the pack off the back so pack contents do no dig in to back; hip pads that wrap around the hips a bit to control side motion, but does not require a hip belt to work; excellent materials and construction. Then I started looking around for something like that. Lo and behold I went into REI one day and the exact pack I wanted was hanging on the rack. I bought it immediately and was satisfied on first use. This is is (now was) absolutely the best bike pack ever made. I used it for 10 years and just wore it out. The few drawbacks, like somewhat constricted interior due to the suspension system, is a pittance to pay for the overall excellence of this pack.

Get one if you can find it these days. You will not find any better.

Unfortunately, when I wore this out and went to get a new pack, I again went to Vaude (Osprey, etc just don't measure up to this pack, or any vaude pack), I bought their Alpin 25+5. It is ok, but it is only about 50% the pack that the Sienna 40 was. Specifically the suspension is poor - the pack sits too high on the back due to the way they configured the pads. Also, the bag is rectangular rather than tear-droppe shape, so the load sits to high. Also the zippers are wimpy and mine broke after only two years. Too bad that Vaude let their quality and design slide so much. I used the Vaude Alpin 25+5 for 3 years but after the main zipper became inoperable I looked around and could not really find anything else. Unbelieveably I found a new Vaude Sienna 40 on Ebay and bought it immedeatlhy. I am so happy to have a new one and it is so much better than the new Vaudes (and all the ospreys, etc that I have looked at for over year).

Vaude Alpin 25+5

[Dec 05, 2001]
Dan W

OVERALL
Strength:

Holds a lot. Airflow design keeps you dry. So comfortable you barely notice it's on, even with 10+ pounds in it. Built-in chartreuse rain cover keeps pack dry and you visible.

Puts weight on your butt (but still beats panniers!)

If you commute with a single pannier now, get rid of it and take the rack off your bike. This is your pack, period.

I barely notice I'm wearing it because it fits so well. You still get sweaty under the straps and hip belt, but that's it - the frame design keeps most of it 2" away from your back, allowing for airflow and keeping you dry. I also use it for hiking and x-c skiing because it holds so much gear. For hiking and most biking I use the hydration bottle, then I take it out for more room for all my commuting stuff. Also, it has a couple of nice internal pockets, and two nice mesh side pockets for extra water bottles or other large items. And it has ladder-stitched webbing loops down the straps so you can attach more stuff. Very cool.

The built-in neon yellow raincover keeps it dry, makes you visible in low light, and stashes into a built-in compartment in the bottom so you can walk into your office building not looking like a total geek. For riding in actual darkness, though, raincover should be more reflective - only a tiny VauDe logo in the center reflects.

Buy it if: you need to carry more than an underseat bag will hold.
Skip it if: you have to carry 2 panniers' worth of stuff. Or if you like the bad aerodynamics and handling your bike gets from carrying a pannier.

4 jalapeno value rating - $100 is steep, though it IS worth it.
5 habanero overall - this is by far the best daypack I've ever had for hiking, let alone biking.

Panniers, under-seat bags

[Jan 30, 2002]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Aeroflex mesh back, swing wings, very adjustable, unadvertised pockets, well designed

curvature of main pocket makes it much less efficient for transporting large rectangular objects (e.g. 8.5x11" papers, books, binders, laptops, etc); instructions for adjusting to fit your body should be more detailed; item description doesn't mention all the pockets; can be large for short rides

This is kind of embarassing, but I'm only now recognizing all it's features. It is well designed, including lots of adjustments, so it takes a while to figure out how to adjust it to fit your body. Of course, the reason I bought it was to reduce back sweating and it does that (at least while biking, while hiking there's less airflow and it's not nearly as effective, but better than a standard backpack). The swing wings, waist, and chest straps work well to put the weight on your hips and not your shoulders (although have to adjust differently for cycling position or hiking position). It packs a lot of room in the main compartment, but it's better for flexible things since it does have the curvature due to the bowed back. It has a thin mesh zippered pocket in the top of the main compartment which is good for keys, head bands, map, money, etc. It has an outside side zippered pocket good for heavier object (battery, tube, allen wrenches, camera, gps...), and can hold somewhat thicker objects taking some space from the main compartment. It also has a wide, short, thin velcroed outer pocket towards the bottom (where the color meets the black), which can be used for clothing (rain jacket, pants, or arm/leg warmers). It also has a wide, short, thin velcroed outer pocket underneath which holds the built in rain cover, but might could hold some light clothing (change of underwear, arm warmers). Finally, there are the two mesh sides pockets with elastic at the top which can be used for most anything (water bottles, shoes, tupperware containers of fresh picked berries, etc). Of course there's the helmet holder on the outside which can also be used for a jacket that you take off during your ride. It has a few reflective surfaces and places to clip a blinker. .

Performance Monsoon Porter, Vaude Dash 10

[Nov 01, 2002]
Bobbie Mac

OVERALL
Strength:

I like the mesh back. Helmet strap and rain cover are way cool. The unit stays put as well. Real comfortable.

Not enough pockets or compartments. I had to replace the hardware with some good no-rust stuff. All my sweat was taking it's toll.

This pack is far better than anything I have ever used or even seen in the stores. My buds all like their Baks. They can have'em.

Camelbak narrow gauge. The Vaude is way better.

[Feb 06, 2003]
Rob T

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Materials and construction,lots of pockets and compartments.Unbelievably comfortable,adjusts to different body sizes.Vaude has been making packs for a long,long time and it shows in the details.Seems durable,only time will tell.

Zippers seem to hang up if not pulled perfectly straight.The elastic loop to hold the hydration hose is worthless-get one of those Camelback hoses with the black sleeve that holds its shape.

This review is for the Semi pack which is a little smaller than the large Sienna.This pack is nice and big!Theres room to put lots of food and extra clothes for long rides in the winter and overnighters.The 1st thing I noticed is how light it felt even when almost fully loaded.The suspension really helps.When I 1st used it on some reaaly steep trails the frame bumped into the back of my neck,then I found out you can adjust the bag around on the frame,something you would normally see on much larger backpacking packs.This also helps to get the waist strap lower so you can tighten it up to take some of the load off your back and still be able to breathe good.All the rest of the h20 packs I've used had the waist strap too high making breathing uncomfortable and the strap useless.
This pack should have some lash points to strap down extras such as a sleeping pad and bivi sack.I'll be having some sewn on mine soon.
The helmet holder seemed a little small compared to the pack but it holds the helmet or whatever pretty tight.
I've used the pack on some pretty wet rides and everything has stayed dry,but I haven't used the rain cover yet.
Overall this is a great pack.I'm looking forward to lots of adventures with it
Compared to other brand packs at the same price,this one is way better.The Jannds I've used seem just as durable,are a bit less expensive,but don't have all the nice little features that add up to a much more convenient pack.

2 Jannd packs (theyre good too),the 1st camelback

[Apr 09, 2003]
kw snoop

OVERALL
Strength:

I own the 2002 Vaude Siena 40. First up, it’s a great pack. It keeps the center of the pack off my sweaty back. Its design keeps most of the weight on your hips. It fits tight and doesn’t move around or shift. The hip area is nicely padded and the hips pads swivel to adjust. It has tons of storage space in a central inner core, an inside zippered area, an area to store the bladder (you could easily store 2 full 100oz bladders in the pack with one in the bladder holder area), an outside zippered pocket, 2 big side net pockets, and 2 pockets for the helmet holder and a rain cover from the bottom. I don’t use the helmet spider much. There are side compression straps as well. The shoulder straps adjust although I don’t know what torso size is appropriate. I’m 6’ 1” and I use the extra large setting.

The listed size is 2200 cubic inches. This may include the large side net pockets and helmet spider.

Now some complaints: in order to keep the middle of the pack off your back, the pack bows in the middle. This creates a very high profile. If you commute like I do on public transport, you have to be careful not to smack people when you turn around. When bike riding, it’ll catch on branches that other packs would not. The pack will not sit up straight and will topple over easily due to its design.

Because the pack bends in the middle, a full bladder does not slide easily into the bladder slot. You may have to remove items from the bottom of the pack to get it to slide in completely. The slot for the bladder hose is hard to snake through. You may need a longer hose because the bladder sits deep in the pack and may not reach far enough to drink easily.

The moving hips pads, SwingWings, are a problem and I’ve been told that for 2003, they are no longer on the pack. The problem was that the bolt Vaude used to hold the swiveling hip pads was too short and the constant movement of the pads would cause the bolt inside the pack to come off causing the whole pad to come off (but the straps still held on to it). I went to my local hardware store, got a longer screw, a larger size nylon bolt (that will not slide off due to the constant motion of the pads), and an end cap bolt so it would not catch items inside the pack. This seems to work.

Finally, there’s no good place for a light on the back. There’s a low, very near the bottom, strap, but it dangles the light too low to be seen well. This criticism could apply to a lot of packs.

So overall, it’s big and comfy and stays off your sweaty back. However, replace the screws/bolts on the swivel hips pads.

'BAK CLASSIC & MULE, MEC (Canadian REI)

[Oct 19, 2001]
Harvey Fujimoto

OVERALL
Strength:

The Aeroflex back is the reason I bought this pack, and I have not been disappointed! I've been using hydration-packs for a few years, but not consistently due to the "sweaty-back" feeling of conventional designs - but no longer! You can actually feel the breeze move across your back!

The curved design does limit the storage capacity of the flat zippered pockets - perhaps they could add more contoured pockets on the outside, or even a couple of smaller ones on the sides of the pack by the waistbelt.

If you like having your fluids close at hand while you ride, get this pack! No more fumbling with bottles and cages, and it won't cause any additional sweat on your back!

Camelback Classic, Camelback MULE

[Sep 13, 2000]
Brooke Hoyer

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, air flow, hydration ready, rain cover, helmet bungee, plus more.

Arc design reduces pack capacity somewhat. Less clearance under branches.

I wanted a pack I could take on long rides and commute with. Also, I sweat a lot and hate the hot feel of a pack riding on my back. The "Aeroflex" design keeps the bulk of the pack away from my back and allows for copious air flow. I have the Siena 30 and it has just enough room for a change of casual clothes for work (including shoes) and a rain shell.

The interior mesh pocket holds my 100oz Blackburn bladder and there is an H2O hole for the straw. The waist belt is comfortable and the chest strap makes for a secure fit. The shoulder straps are comfortable and not bulky. The pack has a built in rain cover that stows in a velcro sealed pouch at the bottom of the pack. The helmet holder on the back works very well.

I use this pack everytime I ride. Now I always take a rain shell with me plus a Cliff bar and have plenty of room for tools, pump, etc. The only time I notice the pack is when I have to negotiate a low clearance branch.

I have been very happy with my purchase.

Various Camelback and Blackburn hydration systems

[Apr 26, 2001]
Jay

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, amazingly adjustable, holds plenty, well designed.

Curvature makes it hard to get items in or out; could use more pockets.

Vaude has some really clever ideas. The adjustable straps can be customized to your body. It has plenty of room for lots of stuff and the Aeroflex back for ventilation is really functional and comfortable. It's well built. In fact, I liked my Sienna so well, I also bought their Dash 8 for times when I only want to carry water and no extra gear (and weight). I was using the Dash 8 in a race and crashed hard on my back. The pack protected me, but the plastic clip that separates the bars of the Aeroflex broke. I called Vaude, and they said it's supposed to do that to protect the rider from injury. Then they took my address and I had a new plastic clip - no charge - in two days! Amazing service. They have my respect for both a great product and great service.

Camelbak Mule

[Apr 20, 2001]
flolo impopu

OVERALL
Strength:

rain cover, ventilation, chest strap, expandable storage

are you serious?

Best danm pack I have ever used. Ventilation is awesome. bought a couple of timbuk2 accessories for cell phone and mp3 player. my commute to work is definitely better with this pack. throw a bladder in there and your set for a long weekend on the trails.

If you need a versatile pack BUY VAUDE!!!

BTW - no need to worry about rain, the pull out rain cover has never let me down. 2 hours through the rain and everything in the pack was dry as a bone!!! Laptop included!!!

most all of them, used timbuk2 messenger bag for 2 years before the vaude bag.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.