Platypus Liquidator Hydration Pack Water Carrier

Platypus Liquidator Hydration Pack by Cascade Designs

[Mar 18, 2006]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable, nice storage

Waist belt could be improved with a padded one

The red color makes for good visibility, an asset where hunters may be circulating about. The working components (water bag, hose, bite valve) have worked without a hitch. It doesn't leak if you keep the valve off of the floor. The wicking effect of the back fabric works. The main storage compartments (cargo pocket, elastic mesh pockets) are utilitarian enough for a day pack. It's become my main hiking day pack; pretty impressive for its compact size. A mini pump fits nicely on the side sleeve/locking cord.

First hydration pack

[Dec 20, 2000]
Michael Logan

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to take in or out of pack when full, easy to fill.

Bladder won,t close.

I was impressed with a 70 oz. pack I had won so I bought a100 oz. pack. They are great if used infrequently but if used a lot are worthless.One leaked from a hole in bladder and both (after one replacement) are impossible to close after 6 mo. moderate use. I have gone back to the camel.

Camelback

[Sep 16, 2000]
cjm

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to put ice in it.

Leaks.

I initially thought the Platypus bladder design was the best thing since slice bread, but the it leaked.

The first time that it leaked (inside my sportsbag) my Tumi leather wallet got wet. The second time that it leaked (inside my sportsbag) my Motorola StarTAC got wet. In one case, the leather seats of my car got wet too.

Perhaps the only safe way to transport the platypus bladder is outside the car, hanging from the bike rack.

I have a problem with the marketing folks at Platypus who claim the P.O.S. is super strong and doesn't leak. If Platypus would at least tell you proper handling procedure for their P.O.S., then inocent people would not have consequential losses.

Blackburn, Gregory, Camelback

[Jul 24, 2000]
Mark Ling

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy cleaning

Leak at bite valve

I will always use the Platypus bladder in any pack. So easy to clean. My tips:

1. To close, fill with ice first then close and fill with water from the screwcap opening. You will break a finger if you fill and then try to "ziploc it"

2. To dry bladder, open mouth and stick the bottom of a drinking glass. Stand glass upright.

3. To dry hose, take the bite valve off.

Camelback

[Sep 04, 1999]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

bag is well constructed, rugged and useful

Bladder leaks, leaks, leaks. It's hard to close. Had to replace bite valve.

Split rating. The bag is well made and durable. The construction is great and the shoulder straps are comfy. Holds a lot of stuff. Bummers...
I had to make a sternum strap with nylon and buckles bought at a hiking store. The pack should have a sternum strap and a pump sleeve. The bite valve leaked badly, but I was able to replace it with a Blackburn model. The hard plastic bladder has gotten numerous tiny leaks which are a major source of irritation. The Ziploc type closure is so hard to work that I don't use it, instead I unscrew the cap on the bottom and fill it that way. The best way to go is buy a Platypus and then install a less frustrating bladder from another company. I hate the bladder. 3 flaming piles for the well made bag, they lose two for the awful bladder.

Blackburn

[Jun 25, 1999]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

ZipLoc, Taste (or lack of taste) easy cleaning

Valve, outside diameter size is larger than most accessories.

The valve does occasionally leak. I'm going to get a male-male plastic coupler so I can use the CamelMak big bite valve with the Hoser3 tubing. (the outside diameters of the 2 are not compatible) Haven't had any leaks yet on the bladder yet. I fill it 1/3 with spring water the night before, then add spring water the day of the ride. By the end of the ride, there is still a little water and a little chunk of ice keeping it cool. I wash with hot water/soap, and run a couple of tablespoons of baking doda in it. The difference in taste is night and day, compared to the CamelBak bladder. I still love my CamelBak Mule carrier-pack, but will keep the Platypus resevoir. Big, big difference.

CamelBak bladder

[Jun 24, 1999]
Cdale
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to fill w/ water, ice, etc. You can reach in w/ a sponge and wash it out. Easier to put into the backpacks due to stiffness. No taste. Pretty clear color.

Hard to close ziplock top- starts to leak at folds.

I've got to agree w/ most of the posts here- they leak after being used for a while. Yeah- isn't it lovely putting on a wet pack in the winter!? Top is hard to close if you are tired, or have weak hands. Two flaming horses (only being nice cuz they work great until they start leaking).PS. Keep your bladders in the fridge for mold-free drinkage!

Camelcrak bladders.

[Jun 23, 1999]
Dan

Taste

Disposable bladders.

Of the riders in my group all have had to replace the bladder within 1 month. After 5 bladders, they have switch to camelbak bladders.

[Jun 09, 1999]
Jimbeau
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

VERRRRY easy to clean; no plastic taste; screw on tube

Valve; cleaning the tube

I have no leakage problems at all. As long as you ensure the zipper is closed and the tube is attached securely, you'll have no problems with leaks. It's an excellent product. It's much, much easier to clean than any other bladder I've used. Water tastes better -- zero plastic taste. It seems to handle being frozen better than other bladders (it's the first one where the maker actually says it's oky to freeze it). I hated the valve and replaced it with the best valve around -- Blackburn gulp. The design of the tube makes it impossible to run a tube cleaning device through the end that attaches to the bladder. I freeze mine, so there's little concern. This is my 4th and favorite bladder.

CamelBak; Blackburn

[Jun 09, 1999]
Dickson

OVERALL
Strength:

Big mouth-gets ice in, easy to clean. Does not add plastic strange taste to water.

Zip lock is difficult to close, nearly usely tube-to-strap clip.

I bought the system of the wide mouth. Also like the the life-time warranty. I called the tech support about the difficulty to close the zip top and they asked me to try vaseline, and offered to replace the one I have if that didn't work. Like someone on this forum, I replaced the bite valve with a Blackburn for better flow. Drinking-tube-to-shoulder-strap clip is lame. It will come off the shoulder strap with the lightest of yank.

Ultimate

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.