CamelBak Skyline LR Water Carrier

Best Price At

Our low rider packs are designed to give you maximum stability during aggressive downhill rides. The lumbar design keeps your water and cargo stowed low and close to your waist. It’s a small change, but it makes a huge difference: a lower center of gravity gives you more stability on bumpy trails, and lets your upper body move more freely. The Skyline™ is a full-featured MTB pack designed to keep your gear organized, with a 3-liter Antidote® reservoir, helmet hooks, compression webbing for storing soft armor, and an XV back panel to keep your back cool and ventilated. The pack includes its own tool roll, so you’ll always be prepared on the trail. We’ve also added some features that let you drink and refill on the fly: a zippered trapdoor that gives you instant access to your reservoir, and a magnetic tube trap that stows your drinking tube in one click. That way, you can spend more time on the trail, and less time fumbling with your pack.

[Jul 08, 2016]
Robert Davis

OVERALL
Strength:

volume for stuff
liquid volume
removable drink tube
removable tool roll
lowrider configuration
soft pocket for phone / mp3 player
comfort

zipper - not really, but cheaper than the zippers on my H.A.W.G from 2002

Great pack!
I love it riding low on my back, it feels comfortable and very well supported!
The pull straps to snug up the pack after it is on your back are really convenient and easy to use!
The zipper came apart once, but it was easy to unzip and re-zip, so no real problem. However, I do notice that the zippers on this and my smaller Camelbak Palos 4 LR Pack are less beefy than the old zippers on my CamelBak HAWG from 2002 (Which by the way is still fully functional and all around an awesome pack too :))
I have a ton of stuff in this pack, probably too much, so maybe a problem that I try to fill it :)
micro tire pump , tire patch, tube patch kit, 1 tube, all in one tool, nylon vest, .3 Adventure first aid kit, spare SRAM chain link, CO2's, Leatherman Leap tool, velcro, rubber bands, derailleur hanger, duct tape, Clif bar, and 2 Accelerade energy gu packs.

CamelBak original
CamelBak H.A.W.G
Camelbak Palos 4 LR Pack

[May 13, 2016]
Steven Dayton

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit
Plenty of storage room
Doesn't shift while riding

None so far

I went the fat bike route a few months ago and had planned on using water bottles but due to the frame design they don't fit well. Just not enough room. So I started using my old CamelBak Mule which was ok but not perfect. Decided to get the Skyline and man what a difference. Plus my REI dividend paid for it in full! No shifting at all. The weight distribution is perfect even fully loaded and it looks good. Overall I'm very happy with the Skyline. Like all CamelBak packs it should last me the rest of my cycling days.

Mule
Cloud Walker
Rocket

[May 09, 2016]
JCWages

OVERALL
Strength:

Stays put!
Very comfortable
Good value (comes with bladder)
Not too big, not too small
Dry cool upper back
They have a female version

Sweaty lower back
Colors are odd

I waited until I had put a decent number of miles on this pack before writing a review. After a couple hundred miles of riding I figured I'd find a weakness in the pack design or construction. I'm happy to report I could only find one issue that concerns me. More on that later.

The pack is well designed and fits amazingly well. My girlfriend and I went to a local retailer and tried on 6 or 7 other packs from various manufacturers and none fit as well as this one. Interestingly, she chose the Solstice (women's version) without any input from me. She said it just fit much better than the rest. This comfort transferred to the trail as well. No matter how hard I corner or how rocky the downhill the pack stays in place. It doesn't shift up my back or flop from side the side like my last two packs. I never have to worry about the pack shifting during awkward maneuvers after a bad line choice and throwing my balance. The storage is adequate for shorter rides of 30 miles or less. The various pockets work well despite my initial skepticism. The zippers work smoothly and the pack material is sturdy. I have not had any issues with the design or construction. The only issue that disappoints me is we noticed that on warmer days of 85deg or more our lower backs end up really sweaty. Because the pack hugs so well there just isn't enough ventilation to keep you cool. On the other hand, our upper backs are dry and cool because the pack sits so low. Despite this I'd buy it again and so would she.

Osprey Raptor 10, Outdoor Products, Camelbak, High Sierra

[May 02, 2016]
driver bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Sits low on the back, the right amount of room for an "easy" day ride, comfortable to wear.

No "hook" for the hydration bladder, one of the hip pockets doesn't have a zipper.

I've been riding with the excellent Camelbak Octane 8+ for years now and really loved it. The only complaint was that on hot days my back got overheated. The Lowrider design of the Skyline seems to address that one problem. The pack sits nice and low on the back, there's room for the basics of a day ride: trail snacks, small toolpack, innertube and thin waterproof jacket.

The small top pocket is great for keys.

My two gripes:
1: one of the hip pockets isn't zippered, it has a fold over flap and as such I wouldn't trust anything except a granola bar to it.
2: The hydration bladder just gets stuffed in the compartment where-as my Octane had a little hook to attach it to, and I like that feature.

As a rider of 160lbs I haven't had the strap issues that other reviewers have noted.

I'm looking forward to using it during summer rides when it's "hot" and see if the lowered design addresses the issues I had with the Octane.

Camelbak Octane 8+

[Mar 25, 2016]
Bikin' Bric

OVERALL
Strength:

-Looks great
-Lots of internal organization
-Tool roll
-Magnetic hose clip
-Solid, stiff back panel
-Side pockets

-Too small for bigger guys
-Side pockets are tiny

This pack looked great at first. It has lots of internal pockets for organization and a really neat tool roll, as well as a fleece lined pocket for your glasses / phone / whatever. The magnetic hose clip is pretty cool too. I like the stiff back panel, it gives the bag some much needed structure that the previous generation of Camelbak lumbar packs was missing (the Volt and Charge). The side pockets are nice to have but are much too small to fit anything useful other than a Cliff bar. I'm a fan of the Lowrider design, I've been using a Wingnut Hyper (the original lowrider design) for a couple of years now and it helps with back pain on long rides.

My biggest beef with this pack...... its too small. I'm a big dude built like a gorilla at 6'1" 260lbs and it does not fit. With the straps loosened all the way its still much too tight to get around my 38" waist comfortably. The shoulder straps are up and over my shoulders for the most part and the sternum strap it just below my neck at its lowest setting. I can't ride with this pack. Its like putting on a Hello Kitty backpack for a normal sized person, just does not work. In contrast, my Wingnut has tons of adjustment left in the straps when I wear it, I'm sure someone 7' tall could use it. I really wish Camelbak would offer some larger sizes of bags, as it stands the HAWG and MULE are the only packs from them that I can comfortably use. I'll just have to stick with my Wingnut for now.

Wingnut Hyper
Camelbak Volt
Camelbak Mule

[Mar 16, 2016]
AshevilleMtBiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Enough room for most biking needs
Foldable pouch is great for tools or first aid kit
Double chest strap holds the pack tight to your body
Large reservoir

Pricey

After riding with this pack on the trail, I'm definitely impressed. Until now, I rode with a heavy backpack that was flopping around every time I jumped or took quick turns. I really love the front double straps. It really keeps the pack from moving around. It's also sitting lower than most packs, so you don't feel it as much. It comes with an inside foldable pouch, which can be used for tools or a first aid kit. Since I keep my tools in a small saddle bag, I'll use the pouch as a first aid kit. There isn't a ton of room inside the pack, but it has plenty for most essential things one needs to carry on a ride. Built and stitching quality are very good. No loose threads or bad stitching on it. This pack is made to last. While it's pricier than most, the quality and durability of it will pay off in time.

[Mar 15, 2016]
Klurejr

OVERALL
Strength:

Sits low on the back and is very comfortable when fully loaded. I hardly noticed it back there.

The Half Turn filler cap on the bladder is a welcome change from my previous CamelBak that tended to get tight when screwed on. I also like the quick release on the Bladder to make fills easier,

The extra pouch for tools is very nice, I have yet o move all my tools into it, but I plan on doing so.

The magnetic clip for the water takes some getting used to, but it does a good job holding the tube in place.

Side Pockets on the Waist strap are awesome! So nice to have a place where I can reach items without having to remove my pack, i will get good use out of those.

I am 210lbs and had to put the waist belt on the largest setting when just wearing a jersey, might be tight if I try to ride with a jacket or sweater.

My old Pack had bigger cargo space, so I will need to get used to traveling with less stuff, this might actually be a good thing in the end. I tend to carry too much stuff.

Great product, comfortable, should be good for long rides.

[Mar 15, 2016]
DiRt DeViL

OVERALL
Strength:

The zippered fleece-lined pocket for your cell phone or sunglasses is a nice touch and so are the dual waist belt zippered pockets and the ability to hold an extra helmet and straps to hold armor.

The tool organizer roll that fits snugly in a pocket inside the main storage compartment keeps your tools together and organized which is a good thing when you carry a ton of stuff..

The main storage area is big enough for tubes, pump, food, jacket, etc and the zippered essentials pocket keeps your keys and small items secure.

Access to the reservoir is quick and easy. It’s located on a zippered pocket on the back panel and uses a quick release valve to separate the bladder from the drinking tube making the filling and cleaning of the bladder real easy. The 1/4 turn cap makes opening the bladder for filling or cleaning real easy when compared to the older threaded cap that my other packs have.

While riding the pack feels light, stable, stays where is supposed to be and you hardly notice the weight.

The magnetic drinking tube trap worked, it kept the drinking tube out of the way even when hitting the nasty stuff.

The organizer roll works great; it has enough room to carry the essential repair tools and more. It has three zippered pockets to keep everything secure and organized but if you put too much stuff on it like I did it won’t fit inside its holding pocket. This may not be an issue if you put the roll in the main compartment instead of the pocket.

The waist straps are a tad short so if you are a clyde, have a “wide” build, a gut or wear several layers to stay warm the waist strap might not be long enough to fit. In my case I had to use it on the longest possible in order to fit me wearing several layers on cold morning rides.

The magnetic drinking tube trap worked well but was a hassle to detach and reattach while riding. You have to pull it out and then make sure that it connects when finished, this may require some getting used to.

The Skyline 10 RL is a stable and comfortable hydration pack that stores a lot on a little footprint.

The straps are easy to set, the bladder is easy to fill, the magnetic trap keeps the drinking tube out of the way and the back panel ventilates really well. When compared to my other Camelback hydration packs the Skyline out performs everything I have in every way possible.

Camelback MULE

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.