CamelBak Palos 4 LR Water Carrier

Best Price At
Available At

The Palos™ 4 is the industry’s first reservoir-based waist pack designed specifically for mountain biking. It’s the ideal option for hard-charging riders who need more than a water bottle, but who don’t want to carry a full backpack. As part of our Low Rider MTB collection, the Palos keeps your water and cargo centered around your waist, leaving your shoulders and back free. As a result, you’ll have a lower center of gravity and more mobility on the trail—plus, no more sweaty back and sore shoulders at the end of the day. The Palos also includes a 1.5-liter reservoir, storage for keys and a phone, an integrated tool roll to keep you prepped for last-minute repairs, and overflow storage that lets you fasten soft armor to the outside of the pack.

[May 21, 2018]
windsurfdog

OVERALL
Strength:

No sweaty back. Holds everything I need for a 3 hour ride: water, energy bars, tools. Waist straps work well...as you drink, it is very easy to tighten straps for a snug fit. The magnetic holder works very well. I really don't even know it is there when riding...except when it's time for a sip...

No weaknesses I've experienced thus far.

[Apr 16, 2017]
CrzyMD

OVERALL
Strength:

Its a Camelback. Like the color.

Where do I start? It immediately slides down onto your butt. No matter how tight it is, it slides down. So you essentially sit on it. Not good. The tube is not detachable from the bladder. Makes it hard to clean and hard to fill.

I will give it one chili, just because it holds water. If you fill it all the way, you will end up sitting on it. In one word, "sucks." Bought a Source Hipster Hydration. Much better design and you don't end up sitting on it. Pass on this hydration pack.

[Nov 27, 2016]
Osco

OVERALL
Strength:

No more sweaty back, YES !
And everything I need fits.
Makes It easy to say no when someone wants me to carry that one extra thing they just can't fit.

Limited Color choice But I like the black and Atomic blue one well enough
When the pack Is maxed out It moves a little on landings but no more than my Volt 13LR does.

Most of my rides are 4 hours or less In brutal humid summer heat but still even In those conditions knowing how to properly hydrate before and after a ride leaves me needing to drink only 12 to 15 ounces per hour during a ride so the 50 oz of water is plenty. On longer rides I will cage up a bottle of Ice and gatorade, That I drink after the first two or three miles when I'm warmed up. I then leave that bottle behind, hidden trail side, picking It up on my way out.
I carry all the standard trail side repair gear for fixing my tubeless tires, Spare Tube, a mini pump and 2 Co2's.
I carry chain repair parts, shoe cleat repair parts and a good multi tool. with some odds and ends Including a good knife.
My first aid kit is simply a roll of electrical tape, seals most persistent bleeds.
Keys, wallet, cell phone, munchies go In the side pockets. The pack Is not maxed out but not much wasted space I will say. On cooler days I stuff a windbreaker In, that maxes things out pretty much.
No belly strap slipping so far But I am prepared to deal with that If It becomes a problem.

I don't think this pack would be the best choice for all day rides or the down hill gravity junkies, no shoulder harness and all that. When I ride on cold days I take my Volt so I can peel off layers and stuff them behind me...

Camelbak Volt 13LR, my all day pack 4 years old now, many crashes, looks like new.

[Aug 28, 2016]
Cavie
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Keeps the heat off the back and stores as much and maybe more as my CamelBak Rogue did.

Will take a bit of adjustment to get it set up tight and to get used to losing some flexibility off the seat.

Bought this with the intention of replacing my older CamelBak Rogue with this new model to take the heat off my back (something I've always wanted in a CamelBak). On my first ride I thought I was forgetting something just to realize that I felt more free in the upper body. The weight on the waist is not too noticeable but the cool back is definitely noticed.

The only drawback is that if you dismount and try to move between the seat and bars you lose some space due to the pack being in the way. Since I don't do this often it is not a big deal for me.

I also like that I can easily pull the pack around to get in it if I need to grab something real fast (like my phone for a photo). I definitely notice staying cooler on rides and no tug on the arm pits! Well worth the price paid for my tastes.

CamelBak Rogue

[Jul 08, 2016]
Robert Davis
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

sits low
liquid volume
pack volume

drink tube is not removable with a quick connect
no shoulder strap option

This pack did not move around on me like I thought it would, but maybe that is because I have a bubble butt that holds it up! :)
I love it so far. I only have one ride on it, so will update this if I find any problems. However, for me, it stayed in place well.
I did have to fiddle with the waist strap to get them to stay.I folded the end of the strap over and tucked it back into the clip. This wedged the strap into the clip as it pulled loose, so the strap did not loosen up at all. This with the elastic retaining loops on the straps kept the pack secure.
It bounced up and down only when I tried to bunny hop. I didn't think it was that significant of movement for the pack, though. Normal riding, climbing and jumping it seemed to stay put nicely.
The pack feels great sitting right down on top of my butt and is great not having anything up high on my back.
This is perfect for 2-3-hour rides, since I have no useful water bottle cage on my Pivot Mach 6. No way I am stuffing a cage and bottle under the down tube on this beautiful bike. That is just ugly and not very useful.
The pack holds enough for a short ride:
tube, x2 CO2's, tire patch, x2 energy packets, universal bike tool
with room left over, could have fit much more in it, a small pump, a couple of energy bars, small leatherman type tool, another tube, etc.
I only wish it had:
1) a quick release drink tube like my Camelbak Skyline Pack - This would make filling the reservoir much easier
2) option for a should suspension system so I can run the waist strap a little looser.

Camelbak Skyline Pack