CamelBak Omega Reservoir Water Carrier

Replacement/upgrade reservoir featuring huge access port makes filling and cleaning easier than ever. Omega(TM) access port is large enough to put your hand inside, making cleaning and filling simple. Screw-down cap prevents leakage. Strong polyurethane body is taste-free, odor-free and UV-stable. Reservoir is designed to collapse upon itself as it empties to maintain a balanced pack. Central baffle keeps water from sloshing as you move.

[Jun 01, 2011]
JayR54

OVERALL
Strength:

It's very convenient to just sip water through a bite valve. It came with my Camelbak Blowfish hydration pak.

I started using my Camelbak Blowfish hydration pak while doing voluntary trail maintenance out at Paint Creek. The Omega reservoir started leaking last year so I got a replacement last year. Now the replacement is leaking so I pitched it. I wear the pack in front so I can get to the zippers and cargo easily. The leaking reservoit made it look like a wet my pants. Obviously ran out of water sooner and had to quit work sooner. I'm using canteens until I can get a replacement reservoir.

No more Omegas for me. As long as all I was doing was riding my bike, no problem. Once I started doing trail maintenance and giving the hydration pack a little rougher treatment the Omega couldn't handle it. I couldn't find a puncture. I couldn't figure out exactly where it was leaking from. All I know is that it leaked. Perhaps I should've tried gluing the hose at the bottom of the reservoir but it felt and looked like it was on real tight there.

I will probably try the Camelbak antidote reservoir. I will save my receipt and if this leaks then I'll try to hold Camelbak to their lifetime guarantee.

[Feb 02, 2009]
bbbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

None really... Well, the old bags were ok, and bite valve works as well.

- Leaking cap - as reported already here, it does leak, and regardless of how tight it is (sometime works, sometimes not)
- Weight
- L-shaped switch leaks from the switch seal

What can I say, Camelbak sucks as far as I see it. The bags are nice (have a MULE currently), but the new reservoirs are bad. The old one was ok (didn't leak), but nasty to clean, but the Omega ones leak (most of them seems so) from the cap seal (bad design). I have also the L-shaped switch at the end of the tube (before the Bite Valve), and that leaks from the seal as well (dripping). Having taken a look at it, it's a design flaw as well.

Water reservoirs that leaks? What's the point...

Also, as one of the first in this market, guess they would have come up with something nice by today, but not really. Some things to miss:

- Full opening of the bag (Omega is better idea than the old, but still limited, and with the leakage, not worth anything)
- Being able to clip off the hose from the reservoir for refil (annoyed to have to re-route the house every time)
- Fast attachment of the hose end to the should strap (clipping in and out from a plastic holder just does not cut it)

Take a look at the Platypus, it has all these except the last and Nalgene got the last point - magnetic attachment to the should strap. And spares won't be ridiculously priced, as with Camelbak.

Salomon, Blackburn

[Oct 10, 2002]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Very easy to clean

tube pulled out of bladder stem

I've used Camelbacks since the inception. The new Omega bladder is very easy to clean. However the tube pulled away from the bladder twice in one ride, dumping 70 onces of Accelerade down my shorts. Not a pleasant experience!

This has never happened with any other Camelback bladder I have had. I do recommend zip tieing the hose to the bladder to prevent this from happening. An easy fix.

Other Camelback bladders

[Jan 14, 2004]
Jean

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to clean

Leaks (related to reservoir opening); hard to release seal on the resevoir opening; large reservoir opening and cap is heavy and takes up too much space.

Give me back the old reservoir design! Who cares about ease of cleaning? I would rather just replace it if it gets too gross. I have to come to dread every ride with this camelback reservoir. I have had TWO of these reservoirs with the same leak problem as well as tried several experiments with a new gasket, storing the reservoir with cap on or off, and loaning it to someone else to see if it was just something I was doing wrong. It leaks near the end of a screw tine on the screw-on cap. I have to get my husband to screw the lid on tight enough so it doesn't leak (and that doesn't always work). Then getting the cap off is nearly impossible.....even if I don't tighten the lid too hard. Only fingers and thumb can be used, whereas I could grip the old design with my whole hand.

Multiple Camel back reservoirs for the past 5 years

[Jan 22, 2006]
Steve Highley

OVERALL
Strength:

The Flashflo is a nice fanny pack.

I've tried 2 reservoirs and they both leaked after just a few uses.

When I purchase a product that's intended to hold water and it doesn't that pretty much makes it a bad product.

[Feb 17, 2004]
Leon

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to clean

The lid LEAKS around the seal big time.

This is a crappy product. The seal around the lid leaks tons of water! (no matter how much I tighten it) I don't care how easy it is to clean, since a clean piece of crap is still crap!
I took it with me to a hike in Yosemite. In about 90 minutes, it dumped 50 oz. of water down my backside in freezing weather. If it weren't for some quick thinking, I would have had a miserable time, since my jacket, pants and backup clothing were all soaked. So for the sake of your safety, don't buy this product.

no-name brand that costs a third as much and doesn't leak!

[Aug 27, 2007]
Tamara

OVERALL
Strength:

Survived a bear attack! A bear got into my pack, and pulled the reservoir out, full of water, and it remained intact. It might have been luck, but it survived better than my backpack.

Don't ever use iodine tablets. The taste will NEVER get out of the plastic.

I haven't used the new model that long, but it seems a lot more sturdy.

The old model.

[Jan 02, 2004]
Tommy Taylor

OVERALL
Strength:

Big mouth, easy to insert ice. Holds enough water for a 90 minute ride.

PINHOLE LEAK UNDER THE COLLAR.

The first one I sent back to Nashbar because of a tiny leak in the center seam. The second one was sent back for exactly the same problem...an intermittent leak...It was easy to detect the leak but hard to find. I thought that it was coming from the bite valve. Since the leak was under the black plastic collar, it was hard to find. I suspect a bad batch. I'm requested a replacement with the 70 oz model without a center seam. I have had zero problems with my other non-seamed Camelbak bladders.

Maybe I'm the only one with the problem, but I'm not going to buy any more of the seamed models.
Keep in mind that I really like Camelbaks.
Nashbar got an "A" for customer service for the first return. When I emailed an inquiry for the second bladder, I got a quick reply to send it back for replacement...so far another "A".

[Jul 27, 2002]
Bob Darren

OVERALL
Strength:

I really dig the ability to clean this thing. Someone previously mentioned that you'd never have to clean if you only run water - don't agree. Try using it for 6 months straight and never clean it, then run a white paper towel around the inside of the bladder and see what you come up with!

The convenience and speed of cleaning make this a must have for anyone that needs to retrofit their pack.

Old bladder.

[Mar 21, 2002]
alan theriault

OVERALL
Strength:

super large opening to fill into and large enough to even stick my hand into to wipe inside out with a paper towel.no more drinking out of a partially clean reservoir.even has a neat little pot handle to hold onto while filling up.cap has been improved . instead of the old style where you just push the cap back on,this design has a nice big screw on cap which is more water tight also.

bite valve still tends to drip a bit at times but not bad enough for me to really have an issue with it.can suck though when it drips and your riding in below freezing conditions.

i would highly recommend this product to anybody who rides or hikes.i enjoy my water more now, knowing that it is very clean in there.

just plain old water bottles

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.