CamelBak Blowfish Water Carrier

Camelbak Blowfish 70oz Hydration Pack is the go-to trail pack for tons of cyclists no matter what discipline. Just big enough to pack all day supplies, but not too big as to be cumbersome.

[Jan 30, 2012]
yogiprophet

OVERALL
Strength:

Light for what it can carry.

Weak construction.

I had a Blowfish from 2001 that I used for many years. It's zipper finally gave way about a year ago. I have since gone through 2 Blowfishs. To be fair, the first one ripped when a branch snagged it, but the one I originally had gone through many snags with hardly a scratch. They should be designed for that since it is for mountain biking. So I went out and bought another one and this one lasted a few weeks. I brushed up against a tree and the shoulder strapped ripped off. I couldn't believe it. I went back and examined the tree to see if there was anything it could have snagged on and there wasn't. I have to conclude thta Camelbak has considerably lowered their quality since my original Blowfish and so I cannot recommend this pack...at all.

I've only used Camelbak hydration packs.

[May 14, 2011]
noot

OVERALL
Strength:

Goes from "Plenty" to "Tons" of room with 1 zip.
Fairly comfortable
Pump holder inside
Opens very wide, easy to stuff things inside
Large bladder
Bladder lid is great
Bite valve works well

Need to take bladder out to fill
Looks funny when fully loaded

This is a fantastic bag for anyone who wants more than just a bladder with room for a couple tools. It fits a pump, tube, wallet, keys, and then some when in "small" mode. When unzipped, this thing will fit a full change of clothes. The zipper design allows the bag to open completely, making it easy to pack a ton of stuff in.

I would buy this again without thinking should mine ever need replacing.

Hydrapak Overflow

[Jul 19, 2010]
maverick

OVERALL
Strength:

big space good airflow durable its water compartment is water proof easy to clean

gets kind of heavy if fully loaded

amazing it is indestructable fell off bike down hill on asphalt did not break or rip wont break u can try it wont bikeing and hiking is a good use NOT jogging or running

thermobak

[Mar 05, 2010]
silverlion

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, roomy, 100oz of water, fits well, comfy

priced like all bike products, Like they are made of gold.

I'm fairly new at the MTB thing and when I wipe out, I do it well. I had a killer spill the day I bought it. I'm not a small dude, 240 lbs. The bladder and pack took the brunt of the fall(and my weight) and didn't fail. The dirt even washed right out of it. I didn't wash it when I first used it. Just filled it with water, emptied it, and refilled it. No plastic taste. The only issue I had was letting go of the money. Like all things for fun, it costs. You'd think in this economy the poor man could have some fun too. Well, he can. He's just gonna be a little thirsty. It will be easier to let go of the cash for the next one. I don't know how I rode without one.

frame mounted water bottles

[Aug 01, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

- good size and capacity
It has 100 oz reservoir and has good storage size.

- algae grows easily
- no ventilation in the back
The pack sticks to my back when I sweat and becomes extremely uncomfortable.

This is for an older model of Blowfish. Maybe the newer version has improved on the back ventilation. I certainly hope so. After some research and now I am switching to Deuter Race Air X II. Deuter makes great packs. The back of the pack doesn't make direct contact to your back. It suspends over the back and there is a mesh. The design allows great air flow. Anyway, enough Camelbak for me. Besides it's over priced. I don't know if it's any better than those you can buy from Costco which costs less then $20.

Camelbak MULE and Blackburn Amazon which are all similar just different size.

[Aug 27, 2008]
Freewillie

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and very versatile. Carries lots of stuff

This is one heckuva pack. I wanted one pack that could do everything I wanted outdoors. Some packs were too small, some were too large, and some were just crappy. This pack does it all. It expands and collapses with a zipper, so I can take minimal stuff on trail rides or expand and pack more stuff for longer rides. If you only have cash for one pack, this is it! I haven't yet had to use the full volume, but it is awesome knowing it is there when fall rolls around and I'll be packing extra layers, etc. The water bladder system is very easy to use and carries plenty of water.

[Jul 22, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect size for a any ride or a day hike. Flexibility to expand. 3L reservoir. Bladder strength. Pocket organizers. Looks. Reflective hits. Comfort. Cheaper than other similar models.

Pocket organizers - they seem a little too small and awkward, just not executed perfectly like the rest of the pack. Price-as all hydro packs.

I debated for a really long time between several camelbak models and some North Face models. North Face turned out to have poorer reviews and to be overpriced, so it was down to the CB MULE or CB Blowfish. The MULE had great reviews but I was afraid it would be just too small. I not only wanted to use it for riding, but day hikes. The versatility of the Blowfish is why I love it. It is the same dimension as the MULE when closed, and is very comfortable, but also can be expanded to fit heavier loads. Still while being everything a hydro pack should be. The Blowfish is a sweet pack. The extra space is nice to have and the other features seem to work very well in conjunction with the rest of the pack. I would recommend it based strictly on the extra cargo room while still being a sleek bag. 4 chilis for value because its a hydro pack and all hydro packs are overpriced.

Camelbak Classic.

[Jul 16, 2003]
JC

OVERALL
Strength:

functionality, expandibility.

Straps slip.

I have had this unit for more than 2 years and a lot of miles. It has survived single track in the Pyrenees, most of New England, the NYC metro area and a lot of endos. And no problems. May be time for a new bladder. Large, locking bite valve keeps from leaking. I even have repaired the bladder with a park tire patch, a hear ago and it's still working!

In the Pyrenees my Blowfish became the mule in carrying people's baguettes, cheese and other lunchables. This is a great hydration system for day trips and beyond. I have definately gotten my money's worth from this camelbak.

CB lobo.

[Jun 29, 2003]
Kevin Sentara

OVERALL
Strength:

This pack hugs your body really well, I hate how normal backpacks hop around. Expandable pocket is obviously a great idea. The large mouth on the reservoir is awesome. Godd padding on the back. Seems to be stitched well.

Only one so far, but it's a big one. After the first time I used it I through it on my Captain's chair before i went to bed. The next morning F**K my chair is soaked. The stem on the bladder did not seal with my line. As it turns out I am not the first to have this problem. {Remedy - wrapped wire around hose}.

So far it seems great except for the line. It's really is a small pack, but enough to hold basic tools, change of clothes, rain shell. ETC

[Jun 26, 2003]
Marsha

OVERALL
Strength:

Carries enough gear (food, pump, etc.) for an afternoon ride, comfortable to wear, keeps me hydrated.

Price, depending on where you buy it.

With an expanding pocket, the Blowfish holds a good amount of gear for a day trip; it isn't too small or too large. At first, I was hesitant, thinking the bag would look too large on someone like myself with a short torso. But it's about the size of a regular backpack. Even on a warm day, I barely notice it on my back--it's that comfortable. 100mL has been more than enough water to keep me hydrated for my urban SF rides. The price for a Camelbak is a bit steep, but in the end, it is WELL worth it.

Ditch your water bottles...a Camelbak is all you need.

Watter bottles

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.