Tacx Fortius Multiplayer Trainer

Fortius T-1940 Multiplayer is the most advanced, realistic Virtual Reality (VR) trainer available, using a maneuverable steering frame and powerful engine brake to simulate climbs and descents and generate a life-like cycling experience in your home.

[Aug 25, 2015]
Alain

OVERALL
Strength:

Realistic - allows simulation of downhill sections to allow recovery. Hill climbs quite realistic and whilst you can cheat using the proportional power adjustment - on full power the TDF climbs are an absolute *@*t!

Can be bought quite cheaply given the new models are out.

Can be modified easily to take a 20" wheel by adding a U bracket and then bolting the motor brake and block approximately 5cm higher than the standard mount.

The software is expensive to upgrade by itself (EUR120). I found it cheaper to buy a new trainer on special to upgrade the software.

The only negative to the simulations I have is based on my own GPS recordings which seem to have a lag in terms of when you hit climbs and downhills but I suspect this may be the result of the bike computer gps recording rather than the system itself.

My inability to replicate the TDF mountain stages!

Parts are getting harder to find but most are interchangeable with the 2200 series. I broke the release lever for the motor brake but replaced it with a spare from ebay. Much cheaper than buying from TACX.

I was a little bit hesitant buying this given some of the experiences and reviews. However, a number of reviews relate to the older software and the fact that some of the hardware being used may not have been capable of running the software.

Overall this is an Excellent trainer. Very close to real road conditions and the motor brake allows you to recover on downhill sections of the courses. I have found that the fortuis is better than the 2180/2220 in that I appreciate the downhill assistance and I find the resistance is a bit smoother. Having said that, both work well with the videos and my personalised programs. My 8yo loves it as he can ride and watch the videos so he doesn't get bored when he cycles indoors which was a challenge with our old JetBlack trainer.

System is very good and allows you to transfer your own gps trip records and use google maps to train against. Not sure why people have had trouble with the software although it does not like major system changes. I have used v.204, 3.5, 4.12 with 2 trainers - the I-magic and the 2180 i-Flow. I had to build a brace for the 2180 to work on a 20" BMX wheel for my 8yo but they are brilliant and still available quite cheaply now. The key issue is having a PC that has a separate graphics card and at least 8gb (Mine is 16gb) of ram. I have run mine on both an Apple MacBook i7 Dual Core running VM Fusion and XP (for 2.04) and a Win 7 i7 Laptop with a GT520 2Gb Video Card and 16GB with no issues. TACX support have been responsive and actually sent me a full version of the 4.12 multiplayer software when the disc that came with my 2180 was the incorrect software version. So to be fair, my experience has been good. Their service centre in Brisbane doesn't exist anymore but they have one in Sydney and the support from the NL has been excellent to date.

Thankfully the hardware is fully compatible with the new software. The steering frame is ok but I wouldn't worry about it if you found a trainer without it as it is more a gimmick than a training tool and doesn't really add much to the experience and requires me to change 2 wheels compared to the 2180/2220.

Mounting the bike is easy using the quick release. The Steering frame makes it a little more complex as it needs to be adjusted for different frame sizes. But the steering frame removes the need for a riser and does make the bike more stable for my feeble attempts at sprinting or going up mountains.

I would recommend a trainer wheel and tyre (any cheapie wheel will do and either a dedicated trainer tyre (I use a Vittoria) or any old tyre. It definitely chews tubular tyres faster than the clinchers.

Other than Bluetooth capability on the newer models which gets rid of the wires - I cant see much of a functional difference between this older model and the newer genius. I'm sure you could justify the higher expenditure but I am very happy with this version even if it looks a little untidy with the cables.

TACX 2220/2180 and JetBlack HydroMag Trainer.

[Nov 05, 2014]
Doug

OVERALL
Strength:

This is my 2 review first one was with old software the new programs are great this helps me stay in shape. It gives you a real life experance with a lot of options.

This a beta product so development at the beginning can be slow but once they have it perfected it is great. You just need to work through it.

A great product that is worth the investment if you want to stay in shape and enjoy biking. I live in Wisconsin so this gives me the opportunity to ride my bike daily no matter what the weather.

[Mar 12, 2014]
DGARDNER

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good in the pictures

Impossible to install the software and get it working

TACX BLAAAAAAAHHHHH

[May 10, 2013]
Douglas J Doeren

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame seams fine concept is good

Vary poor software vary poor sevice you spend far more time working on it verse riding it

they have a great concept but they can not get a handle on software come with new ideals but they do not work. pay for google software but you can not load it. buy there vidios but hard to get them loaded Online service is poor take forever to respond and the fix is not the answer, ! have tts3 & tts4 and not been ablle ride for over a month tts3 crashes support has no fixes tts 4 waiting to validate lic
why I do not know & and they don't. It is time consuming. (should be bought out by someone to better organise) sad

[Mar 07, 2013]
Dad

OVERALL
Strength:

Quite feature rich (if and when it works)
Seems reasonably accurate in terms of power

TOTALLY sucky customer support. Probably not helped by the fact that they all seem to be Dutch and their English is sometimes not great
Software crashes frequently
Handlebar interface unit (T1932) is extremely poor at picking up heart rate
Tacx are tight fisted and just plain mean when it comes to helping fix issues

Where to start! Before I get into any kind of detail, I should offer to save you time; you do not have to read my review. Long story short: DO NOT BUY THIS TRAINER OR ANY TRAINER THAT RUNS ON TACX TRAINER SOFTWARE.

It's an expensive system and, to be fair, if it worked I might go so far as to say it's worth it. But it rarely works. It takes a loooong time to set things up and once done you need to go through multiple patch downloads (which take a loooong time to download and install) to bring your system up to date. Some of the downloads don't work and you have to contact the dreaded Tac 'support' staff to get them to send them to you as zipped files. You have to apply these patches because Tacx release extremely buggy software then multiple patches to progressively attempt to fix the bugs (except they don't really fix the bugs...).

I could go on for days about how flaky and buggy the software is, but won't. Because firstly it's really boring, but also because I find it quite depressing to reflect upon the amount of time I have wasted trying to get it to work and not training or spending time with my family.

The handlebar mounted interface unit (T1932) is extremely poor at picking up heart rate. Tacx 'support' will string you along with all kinds of yarns about radio interference or blame your heart rate strap, but having spent a long time troubleshooting this issue in various conditions, replacing batteries, trying new straps and even having replaced the T1932 interface, I can confidently conclude it is simply a badly designed piece of kit. I have had to accommodate its poor function by mounting a time trial bar on my handlebars backwards and attaching the unit to the end of it, so as to bring it closer to my chest. Utterly ridiculous to spend thousands of bucks and days of wasted effort on a supposedly high end system such as this only to have to resort to jury rigging and duct tape to get something as basic as hert rate working. Tacx 'support' have known about this for years and seem content to do nothing about it whatsoever.

As I said, there is much more to it than this, but I won't bore you with the details. Just don't buy one. Although you could buy mine if you like. $50. Or free. I don't care.

I have my suspicions that this is some form of international plot by the Dutch to hinder the progression of cyclists outside of the Netherlands to improve the chances of their cyclists doing well. It has certainly put a huge dent in my training schedule!

[Nov 06, 2012]
T. Fenton

OVERALL
Strength:

With the Real Life Video you can ride some impressive virtual rides and keep the boredom down.

Along with the original one I purchased, I have been sent 2 replacements and none of them worked. I had calibration problems and the resistance unit would constantly lock up. I tried 3 different computers (one with XP and 2 with Win 7, 32 and 64 bit) and none of them worked, including a core i7 950 with a high end nVidia graphics card and 8 GB of ram. I coudn't get my money back either as they strung me along with replacement bits that the warranty expired. I did finally solve the problem though. I bought a computrainer. Never had a problem since and ErgVideos (3rd party software) are fantastic.

While the vast collection of virtual terrain, including sections of le Tour, the Spring Classics, etc, is really enticing, Tacx trainers are extremely problem prone. I have never had more than about 25 minutes of trouble free riding with mine. The computrainer I bought to replace it is so much better. Not as cool looking and the software doesn't look as modern but it always works. I eventually took my Tacx unit to the local metal recycler and cheered as it got crushed. I could have sold it to some hapless shmuck but I would never feel good about ripping someone off like that. I don't know how Tacx can keep doing it.

Computrainer, Cycleops Electronic (another huge failure)

[Oct 29, 2012]
Magnus Andersen

OVERALL
Strength:

Concept.
Somebody else payed for it.

Unstable software
Build quality

Have two of them in the gym at work. The concept is good, but the build quality is just terrible.
Hardware is flimsy. Poor connectors comes loose, plastic pedal on brake is badly designed, and doomed to fail after a short time.
Software is terrible unstable and crashes all the time. If you try to update, the updater crashes.
If you get it to work, the real life video is quite fun, however on many tracks, the synchronization between video and brake response is bad. The measured speed seems quite right, but it doesn't always correlate to well with the video speed.
The VR trainer is also a fun idea, but it looks like something from the late '90. Simple vector graphics, decorated with sprites. However, even though , the software draws a lot of memory and CPU, so you need a fairly new PC to run it.

[Oct 18, 2012]
bj

OVERALL
Strength:

Hey...It's fun! Makes workouts a blast. I race against my buddy who I train with all summer and it is spot on.

a bit expensive and there is a learning curve to all the stuff it can do. But when i look out my window and it is raining or snowing and i can ride in sunny italy or france. I will take it!

It's a blast.

[Feb 09, 2012]
ryan34
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome product, takes the boredom out of using a trainer

Price

Love the product...

Kinetic fluid trainer

[Dec 13, 2011]
gordo

OVERALL
Strength:

Keeps me motivated, wide variety of rides to choose from. The real life video's are fantastic.

If you don't have the power to maintain a speed of greater than 15 Km/hr on a climb grades over 10% get a little choppy.

I was leery after reading many bad reviews about software/hardware problems with the Tacx fortius. They seem to have many of the problems worked out with the latest version software (3.6). I do have a descent computer that I'm running it on (windows 7 is recommended) The desire to keep training over the winter out weighted the possible problems. It keeps me on the bike for hours at a time without the boredom associated with standard trainers.

N/A

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.