Nashbar Trainer Trainer

Nashbar C-Force Trainer

[Dec 11, 2018]
al2winbig

OVERALL
Strength:

Can’t get it to pair with Zwift

Can’t get it to pair with Zwift

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Jan 20, 2006]
Kris

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value (reasonable performance for the money paid), adjustable trainer has enough resistance for mountain bikes, non-adjustable should be neough for most road riders

Adjustable model is pretty quiet, non-adjustable is noisy

February of 2005 I bought a 2004 Nashbar Fluid trainer (the dak blue model) for $100, but it didn't have enough resistance for my mountain bike so I bought a 2004 Nashbar adjustable fluid trainer for $130 (also dark blue). A few months later I bought a road bike and now use it with the adjustable trainer.

Other people have been using the non-adjustable trainer and at some point it started making a buzzing sound coming from the resistance unit (not sure if it's the roller bearings or the fluid unit). It still seems to work fine, it's just noisey.

The adjustable trainer has worked fine. There are 3 settings for resistance. On the highest setting it worked well for the lower gearing of my mountain bike so I could follow the gearing suggested by most spinning videos. I use the lowest setting for my road bike, but now that I'm getting stronger I may bump it up to the middle setting.

To attach the bike you twist a handle that screws a cup onto your skewer then you tighten the plastic locking ring to minimize flex in the screw shaft and prevent it from loosening. Not as slick as other trainers, but it works. There is some flex when really cranking and especially standing, but it's not too bad for me at 170 lbs. The bike seems to stand up pretty straight, but may lean a bit to the right.

Except for the noise of the non-adjustable trainer, both of these have been working fine. And at the price I paid they're a bargain.

[May 01, 2001]
mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Will hold the bike upright

Generally shoddy construction. Ugly.

I was doing intervals in my kitchen one cold wintery evening, cranking in something like a 53x14, when I was scared nearly out of the saddle by a sudden, intensly loud roaring, like a crippled B-17 executing a forced landing right on top of me! I grabbed the brakes instictlively, which killed the sound. There was a light, acrid smelling smoke in the air. I looked down at the trainer, and the fan had warped, apparantly from the gyroscopic forces, so badly that the inside edge had gouged/burnt a 2 inch slice in the linoleum floor. The fan was beyond repair.
Nashbar, of course, doesn't sell replacement fans.
Piece of crap.

Volare

[Dec 05, 2000]
Don Lu

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple set up
Low maintenance
Smooth resistance--good simulated road feel
Feedback--the rear wheel is easy to lift off the resistance when you're sprinting out of the saddle so you have to be smooth
Small folded volume--easy to pack in the truck along with everyone else's stuff so you can warm up before the race
Enough resistance for anyone other than Marty Nothstein (or just put it in the 54/11, you'll feel it then)

Low zoot factor
Bike rocks between the clamps--can be good though when you're trying to rock the bike, such as when sprinting
Moronically simple to overhaul/clean/maintain

I love this trainer. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and I do all of my winter training on it (the winters in Cleveland are LONG) except for 3+ hour rides I try to do outside once a week.

Basically squirted WD-40 in the resistance unit after I first got it and I have literally done ZERO maintenance on it for over 3 years, it's that solid. It's really quiet now except when I sprint all out in the 53/12-11. And I live in an apartment. Nobody's complained yet.

The quick release clamp also makes it a handy bike stand when working on anything other than the rear derailleur (prop it up under the BB to work on the HS.)

I really like this trainer for the money. Recommend it to anyone based on it's reliability, quietness, ample resistance, and reasonable cost.

Various rollers
Minoura mag trainer

[Jul 29, 1998]
Brian

OVERALL

the ONLY thing I don't like about this trainer is it flexes too easily but i don't ride it enough to really care so I still think it's a nice trainer for the money, but if you train alot on trainers I'd suggest a better trainer but for a casual trainer (like me) that would rather be riding for teh thrill of teh trails or road this is a nice cheap trainer

[Feb 20, 1998]
B Crawford

OVERALL

Do not buy this piece of shit! Spend a few extra bucks and get something that works. These is nothing good to be said about this trainer. WARNING! WARNING!
Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Piece of CRAP! Actually, I like CRAP better.Nuff Said!

[Jan 04, 1998]
V. Stambaugh

OVERALL

The C-Force trainer does require regular maintenance. In that you need to apply lube regularly. Other than that, it's simple, quiet and bullet proof. I wake up to it every morning. If the maintenance was a pain I would hate it - but it's not. I think it's money well spent.

[Jan 05, 1997]
CHAZ
racer

OVERALL

THE NASHABAR TRAINER HAS BEEN PIMPIN IN THE PITS BEFORE THE RACES. SHE HASN'T BEEN SQUEALING WHEN I RIDE HER. MAYBE IM NOT HITTIN THAT SWEET SPOT. BUT I DONT DO THAT MUCH SIMULATED RIDING I DO IT IN THE DIRT!!!

[Nov 19, 1996]
Dan
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I had the problem with the loud squealing at certain speeds. (It was so
bad that I would ride with earplugs in). However, the problem disappeared
after I oiled it once (after calling Nashbar). Now it works pretty well,
and I'm fairly happy with it -- i managed to get good workouts all winter.
(Now if they could just do something about the boredom...). For the price,
I'd say it's a pretty good deal...

[Jun 18, 1996]
Dan K.

OVERALL

I know it's summer, but before you know it the cool weather will be here and you'll be looking for an indoor trainer. DO NOT get the Nashbar C Force trainer, specifically the 95 model. It squeaks and squeals unless you put oil on the flywheel. Nashbar even admits to it. The 94 model was flawless, but for some reason Nashbar said the 95 makes a lot of noise. Now they're only about 89 bucks but they're normally 112. We're returning it and looking at a new one while they're on sale during the summer.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.