Minoura RDA Inter-Rim Trainer

• magnetic system
  • may be used outside because it doesn't need any electric power source

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 20, 2010]
    Jedmondo

OVERALL
    Strength:

It has been a great product for many years. It keeps me in decent shape during the winter months here.

It could use more resistance! I use it for intervals, 30 seconds all out, 1 1/2 minute rest, then 30 again. I do this for 20 minutes. You should ride so fast in the 30 seconds that you feel like you can't make it to 30 seconds.

If you have had the belt break on your older inter rim trainer (poly belt with ribs), you can purchase a "Gates 7M410 Polylex belt". I just put it on. We'll see how it works, but seemed pretty good when I tested it tonight.

[Jul 10, 2007]
    Fabian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Not expensive. Works as good as expected.

If the bicycle is not properly mounted can be noisy (easily fixed by re mounting the bike).
    It cannot be used for slow cadence high resistance, but does good job for any other cadence/resistance combination (slow, medium, high).

It gets 4-8 hours weekly. Has hold very well and it has really helped improving endurance when I am not able to hit the trail with enough frequency.
    There is no sight of issues in the rim or otherwise.
    It may not have enough resistance for professionals, but must have good enough resistance for any amateur (even the good ones).

[Feb 07, 2003]
    MICHAEL BERRY

OVERALL
    Strength:

EASE OF ASSEMBLY, USABILITY, LOW SOUND

PRODUCT DID NOT COME WITH ALL COMPONENTS FROM MANUFACTURER, DIRECTIONS WERE DIFFICULT TO COMPREHEND

I LIKE THE PRODUCT, BUT AM DISAPPOINTED WITH THE INCOMPLETE PACKAGING. PURCHASING THROUGH THE INTERNET MAY HAVE MAKE IT MORE POSSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS BUT THAT DOES NOT HOLD FOR LIKING THE PRODUCT. THE PRODUCT ITSELF IS A GREAT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT- IT DOES NOT WEAR ONTHE TIRES OF THE BIKE AND IS RELATIVELY QUIET. THE ONLY DOWN FALL I SEE IS THAT WITHOUT BOTH TENSIONERS, IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE AND PUTS UNBALANCED STRAIN ON THE WHEEL. MY SUGGESTIONTO THE COMPANY IS TO DEVISE A SYSTEM THAT DOES NTO NEED TWO SEPERATE TENSIONERS, BUT JUST ONE THAT ENGAGES BOTH SIDES OF THE WHEEL SIMULTANEOUSLY.

[Apr 23, 2003]
    Willy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, solid, simple.

Rim drive wheels sometimes slip a little under heavy load

I bought this unit, but private-labeled from Bike Nashbar for 130 bucks, because I hate changing wheels all the time. While it doesn't have the strong resistance of a tire-drive model, it's fine as it is. If I really want to push hard, I'll go to a lake and climb a dam. I took off 1 chili for the light resistance, but everything else is great.

Blackburn air-resistance Trackstand.

[Jul 01, 2004]
    Gerald Liew

OVERALL
    Strength:

It has a very sturdy construction and the setting up and adjustment is very intuitive. The fit is very firm and secure and the range of resistance provided by the different modes is just right.

What I dislike is that this product doesn't come with a front wheel platform so as to balance the elevation in the rear wheel when the bike is attached to the system. Another gripe is that my rim squeaks when attached to the system and I'm cycling. It could be just that my rim's oily and dirty, yet after I did a thorough clean-up the sound persisted.

It's quite value for money, but the problems need to ironed out before I give it a higher rating. The resistance feels a little weeny but give yourself about ten minutes cycling with a little resistance only and you will still feel really shagged. I've yet to test if this really improves my fitness but I guess it will.

None, this is my first.

[May 05, 2006]
    Rob

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good price, reasonably smooth.

Not able to withstand years of heavy use.

Trainer gets about 9 hours/week of use. During the first
    year parts of the magnetic resistance assembly started
    breaking off inside the cover and the unit eventually
    seized. I was able to disassemble it, clean it, and put
    it back together with a hose clamp to hold it together
    and it's been working OK since then. That was over a year
    ago.

The v-belt wore out after about 2.5 years (no surprise with
    heavy use) and finding a replacement was difficult. Branford Bike advertises replacements belts "for all Minoura rim drive trainers" so I ordered a belt from them bit it was too wide and the wrong size and wasn't even close to fitting. At first they wouldn't take the belt back but eventually did after I filed a complaint with the BBB and US Postal Inspection Service although I never got my return
    shipping fully refunded for what was entirely their mistake. Awful service. I finally got a belt directly from Minoura who seemed very happy to help out.

Other traineres.

[Oct 11, 2007]
    Aryn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy set up, didn't wear the rear tire, quiet.

The belt, pullies and internals wore down after two winters of heavy use. I put about a thousand miles a winter on it and now it squeaks when it is being used because the belt is slipping around the pullies....like the belt on a car engine when it squeaks. Got some good miles out of it but it seems to decrease in resistance over time and use.

When I bought it I was a beginner rider. Seemed like a good deal and a good idea to not wear on the rear tire. The trainer has helped me become the rider I am today but I think I may have outgrown it. I would reccomend this trainer to some one new to the sport but a seasoned rider may not be happy with it.

I experienced wheel slippage as well under heavy acceleration and/or getting off the saddle and hammering. Again, in the beginning I didn't have these issues but once I developed as a rider I noticed it's flaws.

I'll give ti a double 4 flamers tho because for the price it did what I wanted it to.

Bought the 1050 flywheel for me and 850 for my wife. I am usinghers right now until I decide whether to rebuild mine or get something else.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.